Metabolism Issue

Options
Hi All,

It's been a month since I logged in, and after much self-talk have decided to work on my weight again.

I have a major metabolism issue (I think). I just turned 40, and in the last 18 months I have gained 25 pounds. I have not been doing anything different from what I used to be doing earlier. I have been a constant 135 base weight for years, and now all of a sudden, it has crept up, and now I am close to 160 lbs.

My eating habits have remained the same: good, healthy most of the time, but with occasional binges, mostly eating my kids snacks (chips, sweets). I am vegetarian, so I never eat any red meat. My exericse pattern has remained the same - spotty. I work out some times never, sometimes 4 times a week, sometimes once a week. I just workout whenever I feel like it.

But the point is, it is the same as before. But now I just keep adding the pounds. I am not a great exercise person, or a completely disciplined person, but it has never been an issue til the last year or so.

I am going to get a physical done to measure my thyroid, and all other harmone levels later this month. The last time I checked (2009) everything was perfect.

Any help on how to rev up my metabolism?

Very discouraged :(, Abby.

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the metabolism slows down and you are going to have to work out and eat healthier.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism will slow down as you get older regardless of no change. I for instance used to be able to pack in 2500 calories no problem, but got heavier in recent years in part because my allowance has shrunk to 2200. Nature I'm afraid. If you want to boost your metabolism, but you can only do this in moderation you understand, drink coffee before/after your workouts. Works for me.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Have you had your Thryoid Checked?
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well, seems to me this is what happens as we age. I too progressively gained after 40. I'm 54 now, quit smoking 6 months ago and oh the weight I gained. Working now on being actively changing my life style. It will take time (it took time to get where I am now) & dedication to be a healthier me!
    You've come to the right place, MFP is loaded with some of the most amazing people I've ever had the honor to "meet"!! Add me if you like.
  • andeygirl
    andeygirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ah, 40, the turning point. :smile:

Something happens to many of us around that age and we stop being able to eat anything we want and skip exercising. Sounds like it is time to modify the diet a bit (huh, I know a great website that will help you track your calories...) and schedule more exercise. Good luck!
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    I was 46 when I started noticing I was having issues with weight gain and other menopause things. I went to the doctor and had blood work done. Yes I was in perimenopause, still having periods with extreme PMS. I had gained 30 pounds from 2007 to February of this year. I am working hard to get this weight off but it doesn't come off easy anymore. Hoping when I am in full menopause It will come off easier. I am now on estrogen & natural progesterone. I feel better but losing weight is still a struggle.

Good Luck!!
  • zenabby
    zenabby Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It seems like there's no easy way out :(. And they say age is just a number...

Any tips on how to make this trip easier would be awesome! I am going to try to enter my daily eating habits every day. Anyone interested in being a "checker" and knock my sense into me when I stop doing it, or am doing terrible?

- Abby.