coffee hinder weight loss?

Options
I often drink coffee ,but always black, no cream or no sugar at all, just regular instant coffee.

On average 1 cup a day. Sometime 2. maybe the odd time 3 times a day, but rare,
would drinking coffee by any means hinder? weight loss? or fat increase?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Since coffee is a stimulant, and diet aids/pills are (stronger) stimulants, I would say it would a very unusual reaction for it to hinder your weight loss. For many/most people, caffeine mildly depresses appetite. It's also a mild diuretic, so it's possible if you're someone who reacts strongly to it, it might cause some water-weight yo-yo-ing.

Other than its effect in depressing appetite or increasing movement (coffee "jitters" or "nervous energy), it should have no effect on fat. There's no way it could cause fat increase.
  • Blooperss
    Blooperss Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Nope. I drink a large coffee every morning and it holds me over till lunch time so I'm doing intermittent fasting but not on purpose. I eat if I'm hungry but I'm not a big breakfast person to begin with. Coffee has never hindered my weight loss and I drink it with cream and sugar too.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,555 Member
    Options
    My cold brew is listed at 5 calories and is bigger/more concentrated than regular coffee. For me it's all I want in the morning and I'm not hungry until early afternoon.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you’re having it black and logging it, nope. For me, it would increase weight loss in a bad way as proper coffee acts like a laxative on my guts. Currently back to using this app to try tracking what’s upsetting my digestive system but I already know that coffee is not my friend.
  • nitalieben
    nitalieben Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Nope. Don't see that it would. I imagine it only would when it is excessive with excessive additions like syrups, cream, etc.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    How could it?

Well, I have been drinking excessive coffee (lots of stress, little sleep) over the past few months, and I finally realized that it was playing a role in why my sleep has been bad (duh), so on Sunday the 5th cut back to one cup a day, first thing in the morning, and that has made a definite difference, and improvement.

I have trouble with discipline and just tend to want a poorer diet than I normally eat (and lack energy to exercise) when I consistently sleep very badly, so just this improvement has made a huge difference on how easy sticking to a small calorie deficit is, and on my exercise. So in that way it could hinder weight loss, but not if calories and exercise stay the same.