ate so much food in a 2 month break of eating healthy and i’m still the same weight. pls explain why

Options

basically i was working out and eating at a calorie deficit for like 2 months and then took a break because i was fed up for 2 months and ate badly like takeaways, chocolate and all that but not as bad as i was eating before the first two months of eating badly but definitely not good

so the weird thing is thay i weight myself because i’m going to start again bc i don’t want to waste my gym membership and it feels good to eat right and exercise and wanted to get back into before i gained all the weight back

i was expecting to gain like 4-6 pounds but i stepped on the scale and i’m still at my lowest weight (11 stone 3 pounds) like the scale hasn’t even went up a pound and i’m so confused and the before and after photos look the same as well can someone please explain why?

the foods i was eating before are high in calories and in big amounts but maybe it’s bc i work at a fast food place and am on my feet for most of the shift?? idk

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    What tinkerbellang83 said. You ate at maintenance
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Did you cut out exercise? I find when I take a break from the gym I lose the water weight and it looks like I'm losing but I'm really not. Either that or you didn't eat as much as you think or you were moving more than usual.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Exactly as the responders above said.
    A pleasant surprise?
    👍🏻
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Likely increased NEAt due to increased energy, coupled with eating a t maintenance calories.
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A pleasant surprise?
    👍🏻

yeah i’m happy but i was scared to step on the scale this morning. but this has made me wonder what my maintenance calorie level is because a lot of times i had meals that would be nearly 1000 calories in just one meal (fast food) plus snacks and all that which would of added up to more than 1,800 calories which i thought was my maintenance
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I've been eating more freely for a few months and am also maintaining. I was a big high volume/low cal fan while losing and tried to stick with the same habits at maintenance but long-long term wanted to be able to add the whole spectrum of kinds of food back into my daily options. Just things I would have avoided before like nut butters, pasta, cheese, chips, cookies and so on. I have found that although I'm eating the things I would have considered too high cal before, it's averaging out in how much overall I eat and the snacking I do. It's probably meaning I am a little more NEAT active too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Did you step on the scale any time in that two months where you were eating whatever you wanted? Was anyone else using your scale? If it said the exact same number, try it again. The digital ones sometimes have a memory and will show the last weight recorded.

Also check your batteries.

Having said that, I've done pretty much the same thing and didn't gain either, but I've been at the same weight (within five pounds) for years, including weeks of double calories more than once, such as on vacation and holidays and other "don't care" periods. I can show a gain/loss but it always settles back to the same five pound range.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    A pleasant surprise?
    👍🏻

yeah i’m happy but i was scared to step on the scale this morning. but this has made me wonder what my maintenance calorie level is because a lot of times i had meals that would be nearly 1000 calories in just one meal (fast food) plus snacks and all that which would of added up to more than 1,800 calories which i thought was my maintenance

It is best to do as @WinoGelato suggests and spend time accurately tracking so you can do the math. You can also ask someone here to do the math if needed. I happen to love that kind of thing.

An increase in NEAT was mentioned but I did not see it mentioned that you may have had additional fat weight loss that was being masked when you last weighed. It is possible you gained some fat. If you were "fed up" you may have had higher cortisol levels that increased your water retention. Many people report a weight drop when they start eating maintenance after they finally relax a little.

I didn't mention this to burst your bubble but just so that you would not read too much into these results. If you had kept weighing yourself you would know but that ship has sailed and it doesn't matter anymore.