Letter to my fit self:

Options
I wrote this at 225 lbs

Dear Fit Becky,

I'm proud of you for making changes in your life and I'm begging you, no matter what life throws at you, don't EVER go back to your old lifestyle again. You were miserable, exhausted and your joints constantly ached. You were always looking for excuses because you were to tired to participate. Every little thing drained you. You stopped entertaining because it was too exhausting, you couldn't sit on the floor and play with your kids. Turning over in bed was a chore, your legs hit your stomach every time you took a step and you could feel your butt moving around like jello when you walked. When you bend down or squat it litterally felt like the skin on your legs was going to burst, you couldn't even reach your arms back far enough to take your own jacket off. You had to push yourself to the edge of a chair and then launch your body to get up. You looked like crap and you felt like crap. Cleaning the house was such a chore and the thought of doing anything beyond that was overwhelming. You avoided people because you were embarassed and when you had to use a public bathroom you prayed a silent prayer that the stall would be wider than the usual ones. You looked away when you caught a glimpse of yourself in the mirror because you didn't recognise the person looking back at you and deep down, you knew it wasn't "you." You loved taking bubble baths but stopped, because the tub was too small. You loved to swim but stopped, because you wouldn't be caught dead in a swim suit. When you sat down to rest it felt like your heart was going to beat right out of your chest and you knew if you didn't make changes soon, major health problems would soon be at your doorstep. Don't ever forget where you were and don't EVER go back...PLEASE!

Yours truly, Overweight Becky

Currently I am 201 lbs and when I read those things, I can't BELIEVE I ever had those problems! NONE of them exist anymore. I can't believe I couldn't take my own jacket off!!!??!!! Now, I run a mile, 2 to 3 times a week, play with my kids, take them swimming, play catch football with my nephews......You name it. My dream is to get a kayak in the next year and to run a 5k. I remember sitting down one night, exhausted and aching and writing this letter about all the things that suck about being overweight and thinking what an idiot I was for letting myself get to that point. I remember thinking about people who are really sick and would give anything for their health and here I was MAKING myself sick. That was my turning point. The journey's not over but looking back, I've travelled a fair distance ;)

I hope your journey is going well and don't forget to reflect on where you were when you started!
"Sucess isn't how far you've got, but the distane you travelled from where you started."

Replies

• whatsyour1020
    Options
    erm...*distance*
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Wow ! THis is the first post that I have read that has actually hit me hard. I had tears in my eyes.....It's me.....Those are the reasons I want to lose this weight. Thank you for sharing I will keep your story as a reminder for me and maybe I'll even write myself a letter.....
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    you go!!! good for you!!!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic! I'm inspired to write my own letter to my fit self. Thanks for posting, and congrats on your successes so far!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea! I've been contemplating writing a letter/blog entry but haven't gotten around to it. Going to get at that today or tomorrow :)
  • Terri_74
    Terri_74 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. It has reminded me of all the reasons I started too. I didnt write myself a letter but I did make a list of things I couldnt do because of my weight and how it made me feel. Just little things like going out shopping for a party dress at christmas. All my fit friends found it exciting but I just found it depressing. With these thoughts in mind we can get where we want to be. I love the way you have put it in perspective too..some people cant get rid of their health problems and here we are able to do something about ours..makes me realise how lucky I am..Thanks for your words :))))
  • whatsyour1020
    Options
    Thank you all :)
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Brutally honest post. I love it. And I'm so proud of your success. :)
  • tdc7591
    tdc7591 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    wow what a great idea, wish i would have wrote a letter to myself. I'm not fit, but i sure am not carrying all that extra weight anymore. sometimes its easy to forget how life was before weight loss, especially when you stare into a fridge full of yummy food. Good for you, this post made my night.
  • misstiffanyrenee
    misstiffanyrenee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    truly amazing and a wonderful motivator for the future! isn't it funny how fickle our memories are... so proud of you for how far you have come and your motivation to continue. i really need to do this!!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You are awesome. Well done.