Struggling to understand Calorie Adjustments with new tracker - math seems wrong

Options
Hi all,

I've been using MFP on and off for several years - it's been great at helping me keep track of what I'm eating. I've just picked myself up a Samsung Watch Active 2 which had been great, but I just noticed yesterday it's adjusted my calories in a weird way.

I went for a run this morning before work which the watch tracked as burning 342 calories. The watch is telling me I burnt 2166 calories today overall, and is estimating 2644 by the end of the day. I've eaten 1388 calories but somehow MFP is now telling me that my calorie adjustment works out to -822 calories, and now I am 122 calories OVER my goal for the day. However, if I look at the app, the discrepancy is no where near that:

https://imgur.com/a/o5Wbw2Y

If MFP estimates I'd burn 2533 calories throughout the day and Samsung is saying 2644, I would have thought I could have consumed an extra 122 calories based on those numbers?

If anyone had any thoughts I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    integrations seems to work... mostly for Fitbit.

Apple watch reverse burns
    Samsung... you're I think the second or third person mentioning reverse burns.

For Apple @heybales figured out that if you synchronize via Pacer app things are as MFP expects them (TBH, the assumption there is that PACER and APPLE and MFP all use the same base formulas which I am not 100% sure; but close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades).

I would suggest that synchronizing via Pacer for your Samsung MAY achieve the same thing.

Or complain to MFP and samsung for them to fix integration... :wink:
  • andeke07
    andeke07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    interesting thanks. So today, the totals seem ok - I didn't run this morning but I did 'power walk' to the train station (so I didn't actively log a workout) and the Samsung calorie adjustment is just showing a 'normal' calorie adjustment - so it seems to only have an issue when I specifically log an exercise:

eh6tzpf5ueel.png
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you for including the screen shot - I've been asking for those but no one provided one yet to confirm what it appears is happening.
    So I'm going to get involved here if you don't mind trying to figure this out.

MFP is expecting a simple figure - total calories burned so far today (TDEE), and time stamp.
    Workouts sent over are optional.

Apple sends a figure equal to sedentary, they don't send their calories for activity above sedentary. They do sync over workouts. Big incorrect mess.

Pacer talks to Apple account and either adds them all up, or grabs the figure Apple won't send to MFP, and syncs it to MFP as expected.
    MFP can now do correct math.

I've been suspecting Samsung was doing similar screwup of not sending correct info - but there were probably enough screams from people to MFP to integrate with them (although it's always the 3rd party that does the work) that MFP just accepted what they sent during the tests and said good enough.
    And now it doesn't work right.

I really wish MFP would just explain to all the people screaming for their device account to be synced, to go scream to the device maker because they can NOT reach into their account and grab figures.
    And then during testing hold to what is correct info - stop giving in. Just worse headache later.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you read the watch's 2166 calorie burn at the same time you took the pic - 8:30 pm.
    I'm basing the math on you did close enough.

First - that calorie adjustment screen shows it's not a normal sync. That line that says 157 cal @ 8:31 pm usually says the daily calorie burn up to that point in time. So it likely would have said 2166 in case of Fitbit or Garmin or Pacer/Apple.
    MFP doesn't send out it's expected calorie burn for the other side to do math and send back results.
    MFP receives the TDEE figure and it does the math.
    So that 157 figure may be 157 more than Samsung was expecting, that may be 157 above sedentary but not including workouts, like Apple does (but doesn't sync). Not sure, MFP kind of using it correctly though somehow.

If the watch 2166 contained the 342 workout, and it thought you were only 157 above expected, maybe you were especially inactive after the run.
    But I'm betting the 157 is like Apple, extra daily non-exercise activity.

Anyway, math is like this, and pretty simple.
    rest of day projection = current tracker TDEE to timestamp + MFP expected level for rest of day
    Day projection - MFP expected - known workouts = adjustment.

For you it appears MFP expected daily burn 2191. (2533 - 342 workout it knows about and will add back in under food math)
    8:31 pm, so 209 of 1440 min of day left. 14.5%

2191 x 14.5% = 318 for rest of day.

Tracker total + MFP rest of day = Day projection (notice this is MFP figure, not Samsung's estimate)

2644 - 2191 - 342 = 111 (so ya, not sure where they got -802)

So what must have been the tracker TDEE sent at time of sync?
    2644 proj - 318 MFP calories rest of day = 2326 would have been tracker calories at time of sync MFP adds it's projection to.

You said watch showed 2166.
    2326 - 2166 = 160 with rounding differences is your 157 probably.

So I don't think your device was showing the TDEE calorie burn, but perhaps the sedentary, not even including the workout.
    Seems like it's doing what Apple does kinda, but at least it appears to be sending a daily burn for all non-exercise activity. Still not the correct figure though.

But MFP is expecting if a tracker is giving a TDEE figure, it's TOTAL including workouts.
    Which the 2166 doesn't appear to include the 342 either.

Now - to your point about the math on the shown figures - yeah, that's hosed up and may have corrected by midnight or on last sync.
    My guess is that's after receiving the workout, but using prior sync figures.
    Because 2644 - 2533 = 111 is pretty clear.

Eating goal would have been base (perhaps 1691) + adj 111 + 342 workout = 2144 say.

Here's how it appears your actual math is going for Samsung, let's pretend this is end of day figures:
    tracker 2326 (but doesn't include workouts) - 2191 MFP expected - 342 known workouts = neg 207

base eating 1691 - 207 adj + 342 workout = 1826 new eating goal.

And that is wrong.

Example of what would be correct:
    Tracker 2668 - 2191 MFP - 342 workout = 135 adj

base say 1691 + 135 adj + 342 workout = 2168 new eating goal.
    giving a 500 cal deficit still

If you can - do the same screen shot of adjustment page for a closed out day where the time stamp is 11:59pm, and mention what the watch says was the total calorie burn for that day.
    And notice closely on watch, like I mentioned - it may be showing sedentary burn, daily activity burn above sedentary, and exercise burn - all separately. May have to search for the combined number.
    Thanks for help on understanding this. I just like to know. But it's getting hard to keep track of the trackers that do it wrong, there's more now.
  • andeke07
    Options
    Thanks for your comprehensive notes on this - I am going for a run tomorrow morning so will see how it behaves. At the moment, my watch is saying 2013 kcal burn and in smaller text below "411 during activity". MFP is currently reporting

41g3edjdxaxz.png

And Samsung is reporting:

6dkj6b3gujx4.jpg

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I've disconnected my Samsung watch. The adjustments are just nonsense....
  • okc0mputr
    okc0mputr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    On that last screen, theres the 'i' in the right top corner. On my iphone/apple watch tapping the icon showed me the math for ios calorie adjustments... Anything there?
  • andeke07
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I contacted MFP and this is a known bug:
    Hi there,

Thank you for contacting our Premium Support Center and for bringing this to our attention. We are aware of the issue where erroneous calorie adjustments are being calculated when users are linked to Samsung Health and also log discrete exercises. We hope to have a fix in place as soon as possible. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Warm Regards,
    Jacen
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    I stand by the fact that IF Pacer App is able to understand Samsung, the Apple work-around should work. It looks like Samsung is only sending a figure equal to active calories or exercise calories instead of TDEE to 8pm. MFP is expecting TDEE. <disclaimer, I am talking in generalities, I don't have a Samsung watch :smile: >
  • heybales
    Options
    Ditto to just using Pacer - Samsung is for sure sending the wrong info.

As to MFP's hopeful claim they are working on it - that is code for asking Samsung to correct what they send - don't hold your breath.

One potential kicker with Pacer.

It's app has the ability like MFP app - to talk directly to phone or watch (if supported) and request the step count, maybe distance for Pacer, and calculate calories burned itself.

And it also has the ability to talk to the account the device is sending info to - and just getting the calorie numbers and workouts.

You want the latter of course if you see an option during setup on Pacer app to talk to account, not just steps from device.

To your latest example because I'm curious what they are sending.
    Of course the line with timestamp still isn't what is normally shown, so not sure where that figure came from.
    8:55 pm means 185 min to day left, or 12.85%
    2191 x 12.85% = 282 for what MFP added to the daily projection.

Which would imply the tracker sent 2180.
    Not really close to that 2020, 5 min difference for 160 calories? Not unless running in those 5 min.
    So ya, not sure where those numbers are coming from that MFP is working with.

Where are you logging a workout at though - I thought they were syncing from Samsung, but I see 2 on Samsung account and none on MFP?

You made reference earlier to logging your workouts.
    Not really needed if the Samsung has it within it's TDEE, which it seems to.

Curious if you went through the MFP Apps section to make this connection?
    Is that calorie intake on Samsung from MFP or you manually entering it?

Or did you within the MFP Apps go to settings Step Source and select Samsung device?
  • andeke07
    Options
    Hey heybales,

In MFP - I've got the step source as Samsung Fit and I've also connected Samsung Fit under 'apps and devices' - which asked me to confirm the connection/permissions etc.

The only logging I'm doing is just before I start my run I went on the watch and selected 'start run' so it start timing/distance etc. It's Samsung that is reporting that as a workout.

I will try and sync this all up via Pacer instead - though it seems a bit crazy to have an app sync to an app sync to an app...
  • andeke07
    Options
    Turns out - Pacer doesn't support syncing with Samsung Health. Blah. For now, I'm going to stick to logging calories with the mfp app but keeping track of my progress with the Samsung Health app. It seems fine with all this.
  • heybales
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Good to know. You got it all right, and it's just going to be wrong until Samsung feels the need to correct things. Unlikely.

It appears your meal totals are getting over to Samsung, so that makes your plan a very good idea.

What you may want to do is see if you can figure out how it estimates how much you have to eat for rest the day.

For instance, Fitbit had 2 methods of estimating daily burn before the account corrected itself to what you were actually doing from device syncs, from that estimate the deficit was removed and gave the eating level.

They had a Sedentary level which was just barely above sleeping rate calorie burn, not the same BMR x 1.25 that MFP uses for Sedentary. But it also matched what the device would say if no steps & distance seen.

They also had History level, which looked at your averages for weekday or weekend and estimated the day as that until the device said otherwise.

So it would do the same math I showed MFP doing - merely using their own rate of burn for remaining hours to the day, to give you an eating goal.

Just in case Samsung has options and one is better for you than another. It's at least good to know.

Of course you'll learn what average days burn in total and about what your eating level will be anyway, with evening syncs merely tweaking it a bit.

I would be curious if you find out how they do that part - how is estimated daily burned calculated (not goal burn)?

Thanks.