Before killing people and breaking things, make your bed

Options
This quote is from NYTimes story: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/02/style/how-to-make-your-bed.html?_r=0

“You need an anchor point for your day, and sometimes that anchor is as a simple as making your bed,” said Mr. McRaven, now the chancellor of the University of Texas and the author of “Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life ... and Maybe the World.” He wrote the book after a video of his 2014 commencement speech went viral. “It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task and another.”

I've noticed this in my life as well. Start your day with a simple little ritual deed, and it's just something you can be proud of getting done. Then move on to something more complicated.

Replies

• orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Psychology and human behavior is interesting isn't it?
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    Psychology and human behavior is interesting isn't it?

It's my absolute favorite thing ever!
  • HeathieM
    HeathieM Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    That quote reminds me of this meme...

When-youre-upset-just-imagine-a-T-Rex-making-a-bed.jpg

This is exactly how I feel every time I make my bed lol why is it so hard???? 😂
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    This quote is from NYTimes story: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/02/style/how-to-make-your-bed.html?_r=0

“You need an anchor point for your day, and sometimes that anchor is as a simple as making your bed,” said Mr. McRaven, now the chancellor of the University of Texas and the author of “Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life ... and Maybe the World.” He wrote the book after a video of his 2014 commencement speech went viral. “It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task and another.”

I've noticed this in my life as well. Start your day with a simple little ritual deed, and it's just something you can be proud of getting done. Then move on to something more complicated.

A Navy friend gave my 10 that book & he loved it—told his younger brother that *he* clearly needs to read it 😆 I enjoyed it as well—definitely find making the bed and starting the day with my own rituals (instead of being woken up and starting everything feeling “behind”) makes a big difference.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Does finishing my cup of morning coffee count? I'm lucky to throw my comforter over my bed. :)
    I do agree with the idea though. Success begets success, no matter how small.

Another book to check out. :) Acquiring quite the list through the forums here.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out the Fabulous app, it runs on the same theory.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I make my bed every morning because I absolutely HATE getting into an unmade bed. I am a clutterbug. My husband rivals Jerry Seinfeld in his tidiness. I am pretty sure that it would drive him crazy to come home to an unmade bed. I LOVE walking into my bedroom at the end of a long day and seeing that cozy and inviting bed with fluffed pillows and a fluffed duvet waiting for me :) I need to remember to let that be the beginning of getting things done for the day though!