How do you handle those awful cravings when Aunt flo is visiting?

Options
OK seriously, I know this is a cringe question but I can't be the ONLY one that struggles with eating the entire house the week leading up to her visit. Has anyone successfully warded off cravings and ravenous eating? :s

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Is it really for the whole week? When I was in a deficit, I would allow myself to eat maintenance for the 2 days a month the cravings were the worst, and use those extra calories for treat foods, but it wouldn't be wise to do that for a while week.

How fast are you losing weight? Are you well rested?
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I have not been successful yet. It has completely derailed me and reversed all the progress I made. Sucks. I just lose all will to try
  • No_turning_back
    No_turning_back Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Is it really for the whole week? When I was in a deficit, I would allow myself to eat maintenance for the 2 days a month the cravings were the worst, and use those extra calories for treat foods, but it wouldn't be wise to do that for a while week.

It’s something I’ve struggled for ongoing. I’ll drop 10-15 and gain it back. One of my biggest pitfalls is around that time of month. Typically 3-4 days where I feel I have zero willpower. Sleeping on average 7 hrs a night.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hm, I get cravings, but not to the point of losing my willpower. My cravings are usually salty/savory (chips, sushi,...), only occasionally sweet. I keep my regular calorie goal but just substitute foods to allow for foods that hit those cravings.

Yesterday I wanted Ben and Jerry's (my BF and I usually share a pint) so:
    - I ate a smaller dinner than usual
    - I walked laps around the living room until I had earned the remaining calories I needed

Availability is a relevant issue too.
    In my case, I can get these cravings at work, but there is no risk of indulging: the only food I have access to is the lunch I packed. At home it's different - it's probably best to avoid having a large stock of foods that you tend to have cravings for/have difficulty eating in moderation.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

It’s something I’ve struggled for ongoing. I’ll drop 10-15 and gain it back. One of my biggest pitfalls is around that time of month. Typically 3-4 days where I feel I have zero willpower. Sleeping on average 7 hrs a night.

If you are losing weight faster than 1 lb per week, try reducing your rate. Sometimes people who are trying to lose weight quickly struggle more with cravings because they are genuinely hungry.

Try getting lower cal and single serving versions of your cravings, light baked chips, or fun size chocolates, or fudgsicles, and log it before you eat it so you can see what it does to your numbers.

Try keeping yourself busy. Start an engrossing book. Take a walk. I'll sometimes have a Coke Zero or a cup of mint tea if I know I'm not really hungry.

I have no idea if this has any science behind it, but I've heard that increasing the calcium in your diet can help with PMS, perhaps if your diet is low in calcium fixing that could help.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    my uterus speaks for me during these four days it seems, all binging comes back, smoking comes back.
    i went to get tampons two days ago and came back with two bags of cookies and a pint of protein ice cream. my hubby was like what are you doing kate, i said its my uterus speaking not me.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I find that the less I eat the things I would typically crave, the less intense cravings I get.

Lots of the above suggestions are great: keep small or single serve portions around, find an alternative or just adjust your calories to account for those cravings.

• Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I keep different flavors of sugar free gum, they have great dessert flavors, and keep smokehouse almonds on hand for salty cravings. I just make sure to weigh them and put in snack baggies when I open a can. Keeps ya from binging on the whole can. If its really bad, I'll just eat at maintenance for a day or two, and decrease on another day of the week.
  • Tattoomama4440
    Tattoomama4440 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I really like the candies that Atkins makes. They have a Carmel square that hits the spot.
  • No_turning_back
    Options
    Thank you for each of your responses. I no longer bring these items into the house because I will not stop until they're gone. I like the idea of trying a variety of sugar free gum and perhaps play around with some organic teas as well as portioning out snacks and adding them into my food diary beforehand. I never knew atkins made candies?

I've just started taking vitamins I'm hoping this will help.

I don't want to allow food to control me anymore. That's so sad to admit I've done that for so long.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance and increase carb intake. No point in trying to battle it, it affects my mood too much to ignore it so I plan for it.

There's a great podcast episode from James Smith about it:
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/4b8CBCifsS1hwccMhAXPLt?si=2EEvt0X3RIGqgpoKSiwBOg
  • petitchatnoir41
    petitchatnoir41 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Pretzels and raisins are my go-tos. Just found healthier choices to curb cravings.
  • ktlynn447
    ktlynn447 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

amwoidyla wrote: »
    I find that the less I eat the things I would typically crave, the less intense cravings I get.

Lots of the above suggestions are great: keep small or single serve portions around, find an alternative or just adjust your calories to account for those cravings.

I totally agree with this... I don't keep any of it in the house or its free game. If I do buy it, its only enough for that night. Its does me no good to fight off the craving... that just leads to a major binge later :|
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The day or two before my period comes are the hardest for controlling my inner elephant. Figuring out what I was craving allowed me to find some good healthy substitutes. I have this vegan mac that I LOVE, it's delicious, but it's not that great for me. So I have it for dinner the day before my before, I run an extra two to three miles that day, and I make sure to eat vegetables. By creating this pre-planned allowance I can handle that inner elephant yelling at me to get a bag of flaming hot cheetohs by telling it to chill out, we're getting Mac for dinner.

You can also pamper yourself. If you find that you're feeling hungry or cravey when you know you have no calories left, go take a bath or shower. Wash your hair, do a facial, paint your nails. It works to take your mind off the food, and direct it somewhere else that makes you feel good.
  • No_turning_back
    Options
    tapwaters wrote: »
    The day or two before my period comes are the hardest for controlling my inner elephant. Figuring out what I was craving allowed me to find some good healthy substitutes. I have this vegan mac that I LOVE, it's delicious, but it's not that great for me. So I have it for dinner the day before my before, I run an extra two to three miles that day, and I make sure to eat vegetables. By creating this pre-planned allowance I can handle that inner elephant yelling at me to get a bag of flaming hot cheetohs by telling it to chill out, we're getting Mac for dinner.

You can also pamper yourself. If you find that you're feeling hungry or cravey when you know you have no calories left, go take a bath or shower. Wash your hair, do a facial, paint your nails. It works to take your mind off the food, and direct it somewhere else that makes you feel good.

I absolutely LOVE this! I've never considered "planning" for it although I know its coming I try and deny myself or binge and hate myself later. But actually planning it and adding additional exercise I've never even considered. Thank you!!!
  • kms375
    kms375 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I’m craving sweet I usually got for halo top ice cream. Low calorie and high protein. When I’m craving salty I go for Taco Bell sunflower seeds (or any flavor sunflower seed). Since it takes time to open them I feel like I’m eating a lot