Shoes

Options
Okay this maybe a little gross for some but I was wondering what everyone does with there used workout shoes. I change my shoes every 3-4 months and now I have a few pairs of shoes that look practically new, never been used outside, taking up space in my house.

So I thought about donating them or is that too gross?

Replies

• Brandirina
    Brandirina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    http://www.nikereuseashoe.com/

A good way to recycle them! Nothing gross about that!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I would totally wash and donate them. Especially if they look new.
  • RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We donate ours to the local homeless shelter. I'm sure somebody would LOVE to have those shoes. Good shoes are one of the hardest things for homeless people to come by. Please do it!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've donated shoes in good shape in the past, which is rare since I'm pretty rough on my shoes.
    One thing I've noticed doing mission work is that some people are not quite as picky as we are, in a good way. While we think we should have the best of the best, for others a good pair of 2nd hand shoes are as good as gold! Some times I need to have more of that attitude myself.
    My suggestion is to donate them to a clothes closet rather than a thrift store.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Check out soles4souls.org
  • raj73
    raj73 Posts: 11
    Options
    I wash them and sell them for 5 dollars a pair at my annual yard sale....used shoes are okay to donate or sell. Used underwear know thats the gross stuff!!!!
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    My shoes go through three phases.

1) Primary use - gym shoes.
    2) Secondary use - cut the grass shoes
    3) Final use - yucky job shoes, like painting, or sealing the driveway with tar, or visiting a pig farm.
    4) Final resting place - landfill. By then, nobody wants them. Not even the Nike recycling dudes.

(Alas, the Nike recycling project isn't available in Ontario....)
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You can definitely donate them. I'd wash them first (either throw them in the washing machine w/ towels or hand clean them) and deodorize with some baking soda.

Some places may give you a tax write off form if you donate a lot of stuff (clothes, shoes, old kids toys etc). I know my parents donated a lot of clothes and linens etc to a local Lupus foundation. They come pick it up and mail a tax voucher thing after they go through your items.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Check with your local shoe/running store. Mine participates in Shoes for the Homeless. I can just drop off my old shoes there and they get to shelters and outreach centers, etc where they are needed.
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!

They will be getting donated!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yep, donate for sure.

But just out of curiosity... why are you going through shoes that fast, especially if they still look new?
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

3) Final use - yucky job shoes, like painting, or sealing the driveway with tar, or visiting a pig farm.
    4) Final resting place - landfill. By then, nobody wants them. Not even the Nike recycling dudes.

Depending on how many extra shoes I have, I'm about the same. Except I've read you shouldn't use your running shoes as everyday tennis shoes so my 'just swapped out' shoe becomes my recreation shoe when I go shopping and then move down to dirty work shoes. By the time they've gone through those phases, nobody else would want them.

Now if you have a lot extra with not a lot of wear and tear, and can be fixed by someone else putting a new sole insert - definitely donate.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would totally wash and donate them. Especially if they look new.

I second this.
  • Brandirina
    Brandirina Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Nike will take shoes in any condition - because they just separate the materials and grind them up. If there's not a station near you, you can send the shoes to them. The address is on the site.
  • janel814
    Options
    Yep, donate for sure.

But just out of curiosity... why are you going through shoes that fast, especially if they still look new?

That is just how hard on them I am (I guess). I do a combination of Turbo Fire, ChaLean Extreme, and soon P90X and HipHop Abs. I do not use the insoles that come with the shoes but the moment I feel my feet burning it means time for new shoes. I tried just changing out the insoles but that didn't seem to help. There are a few pair that I just changed into fashion shoes but that still leaves about 4 pairs :-)
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    As long as they are not torn apart... I wash them and donate them!
  • JennsLosing
    Options

this is totally me too