Nutrition Tips for PCOS

Options
Hello! I'm starting MyFitnessPal again after a long struggle to lose weight. I gained a lot of weight in about 6 months while taking an anti-depressant a few years ago. I did not change my diet or exercise habits to jumpstart this - the weight just piled on. At the same time I began to struggle with symptoms of PCOS and insulin resistance. I have struggled to lose weight with traditional CICO methods because of this. It has lead to a lot of self-loathing, negative body image, and disordered eating behavior in the past (struggled with B+P in high school, now struggling with restrictive habits).

I currently eat between 600 and 1000 calories/day, and I plan on sticking to lower carbs (not keto, but lower). I'm just wondering about successes that others with PCOS have experienced. I'm at 225 (already down 20 from last year) and my goal weight is 160. Any tips or direction would be great!

PS: This post is not an invitation for criticism of my body, my weight, or questioning of my disorder. I have documented hormone issues. It's not me making excuses. I am taking active steps to be healthier, so I'd appreciate it if things stayed positive and helpful.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    The very first thing I would do is address the undereating. It sounds like you may already have professional help, so I would encourage working with your treatment team on that first before thinking about weight management or more nuanced nutritional questions
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have insulin resistance and prediabetes. I happened to stumble upon a YouTube video by Dr Jason Fung about 2 weeks ago. He has several videos and books and because he makes so much sense, I’ve probably listened to most of the videos. As a result of those videos and my own research, I am now doing intermittent fasting (16 hour fast and 8 hour eating window). I have also cut my carbs to about 50. I am not cutting calories, but I am exercising. I am experiencing success. I’ve lost 5.8 lbs and my fasting blood sugar is now in the 90s. This is what I’m doing. I suggest you view some of Dr. Jason Fung’s videos and determine if you might find success too.
  • xSanoura
    xSanoura Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello, :) PCOS is very common and watching your carb intake is a great start. My one tip is to watch your sugar intake, fruit and all. PCOS is treated like prediabetes, so you have to watch your sugar intake. No you don’t have to poke yourself, but be mindful. For fruits, limit high sugary fruits like bananas and oranges. I tell my patients to mainly consume berries. You’ll lose weight and have a higher chance of conceiving (if you’re trying) :) don’t under eat, just be mindful, but don’t lose hope, you got this!
    - -