Motivation to just start tracking again from a major life change.

Options
2019 has been tough. I have stopped tracking what I eat and just let go. I used to jog/walk every single day. I was doing so well maintaining 1200 cals/day for months 'til my aunt started getting sicker. I had to take care of her - she was bed-ridden. Didn't have the time to prepare meals for myself and be active. I was either too tired or too sad to do anything. I still have the guilt hanging over my head whenever I feel like running or just being better. She passed away just last month. I am gaining every bit of what I lost really fast but I just can't find it in myself to go back to my old routine. It's difficult to explain exactly. Has anyone every had a similar experience? How did you snap out of it? Please help. ☹

Replies

• JeepingAround
    JeepingAround Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So so sorry for your loss. You were focused on the right things at the time, your mother. It is normal to be depressed at times for such a difficult loss. You are allowed your time to mourn and process. Maybe slowly getting back into a routine will help with some depression. Take small steps to start. Don’t try to get back to where you were on day 1, it’s a process.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Bless you for being such a loving caregiver to your aunt. That is so stressful and I"m sure there are lingering emotions beneath the surface. Start being kind to yourself and it is time to care for yourself. You deserve that.

when it comes to getting back on track... I find looking at pictures when I looked my best motivates me. Also..just making myself go back to my routine, even if my heart isn't into it. I wish you the best.
  • pyro_guy7
    pyro_guy7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with JeepingAround, start off slow and gradually work back to where you were. We believe in you!!
  • Tattoomama4440
    Tattoomama4440 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes. About 6 years ago I lost a lot of weight. Almost hit my high school weight. Worked out on my elliptical every day. Gained it back and then some. Now I’m needing to try again, but not looking forward to the pain it takes. I know though I will be thankful I did it. Especially when I am able to go places without getting tired fast.
  • Sixxmotley
    Sixxmotley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was on for 3 years, got back into really good shape. I have been off for 2 years and gained it all back and more. Time for Change
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    A slow start is a start. Maybe work on right-sizing some meals, or eating more veggies, or taking some enjoyable walks (or whatever slightly-more-active thing is fun, rewarding, relaxing for you).

It isn't an "on track" or "off the wagon" duality. There is no track; there is no wagon. There's just daily habits, ones that help us, others that don't. Work on creating some habit that nourish and strengthen you, gradually but persistently, and you'll do fine. Make it as easy as you can: It doesn't have to be super hard, it needs to be sustainable. Guilt is also optional: It doesn't really help, for most of us.

You did a wonderful thing in caring for your aunt. That was difficult. It's not surprising that you'd feel burned out, and it seems likely that you're still grieving. Get some extra sleep, get some gentle enjoyable activity, eat some nourishing foods you find delicious, feel stronger. Those are baby steps toward your goals, and they put you on the on-ramp. As you start to recover from the stress of your recent past, you can begin taking even bigger steps.

Hugs!