Waht keeps you motivated?

Share what keeps you going be it a picture, a saying, an upcoming event, etc.

Replies

• holli1ch
    holli1ch Posts: 673 Member
    True...but at times I need to be reminded why I am on this life long journey and need a little fleeting motivation to keep me from taking a detour.
    anubis609 wrote: »
    A healthy bit of self-loathing and unrelenting fear of ever becoming obese again.

In all seriousness, motivation is fleeting, but the discipline to continually adhere to something (diet/activity/mentality) that you've placed as a priority is life long.

• cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Short term goals. A stick and a carrot. (something that pushes you forward like a threat or a promise of something bad happening to you vs a reward or incentive to do good)
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Continuous improvement. Lifting a bit heavier, running a bit faster, realizing I can now do things I didn't think were possible when I started. It's what keeps me going when the scale isn't moving
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Plus I simply feel better, can breathe easier. I think back a couple months ago when I first started on the treadmill and was lucky to walk a mile in 20 minutes. Now I walk 2 miles in 38 minutes, with an incline, lots of times 2x a day. I see the progress in how much stronger my body feels by sticking to it and pushing a bit further each week.

Urgh, I meant 28 minutes for 2 miles, not 38. :/ If I only had a brain.....
  • MrsDSnyder
    MrsDSnyder Posts: 3 Member
    I kept a shirt & pair of jeans from the beginning of my journey to remind myself how far I have come. Also a ton of before/during/current progress pics.

Plus it's always nice to leave a wellness checkup without any bad news or lectures too.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    The scale.
    Seeing my weight going down through the number on the scale motivates to keep doing what I’m doing.
  • caloricus
    caloricus Posts: 591 Member
    Short term goals. A stick and a carrot. (something that pushes you forward like a threat or a promise of something bad happening to you vs a reward or incentive to do good)

Same here. In fact I think that is one of the reasons I am struggling this week. Well that and weather. But I need something very concrete to dangle in front of me and with a very definitive time period. So I will try to come up with something that will do the trick. I can't fool myself if it is not a real goal.

Thanks @holli1ch for posting this. I needed this discussion right now.
  • serah_86
    serah_86 Posts: 50 Member
    I hit my goal weight two years ago and foolishly expected it to stay without maintenance. The confident feeling I had about my body is what I want back as much as to fit comfortably in those little jeans sitting in my closet.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    This is maybe super gross, but... about a year and a half ago, I had to have a birth control implant surgically removed from my arm. It had migrated deep into the subcutaneous fat and my OBGYN wasn't able to remove it in office. After he tried, I had a big, gross, mushed around cut into fat in my arm, and had to dress it on my own until it healed up. Seeing my own fat was... disgusting and incredibly vivid. So, when I'm not feeling it, I picture the way my arm looked after the first attempt to remove the implant and get my butt back in action. I have a new implant on the other arm which is probably going to migrate, and I don't want the fat to be thick enough to have to go back in the OR to remove it! :D I want it to come out clean the first time!!

Thanks for reminding me to check the placement of mine!!

I am in a wedding in June where I am wearing a dress that I don't get to actually try on until 2 days before the wedding. We can have it taken in if it's too big but can't do anything about it if it's too small!
  • RosaCruz91
    RosaCruz91 Posts: 11 Member
    I have a vacation in May and I'm a bridesmaid in August. I started setting small weight loss goals for myself, I write them on a tiny post-it note and I have it posted on my computer monitor. That way anytime I feel like partaking in the usual office cookies/donuts/pizza social, I can remind myself I have goals.