Stronglifts question

Options
Hi All

I want to try the Stronglifts programme but as I will be working out at home what's the alternative to a Bench Press as I don't have a bench - can this be done lay on the floor?

Also am I allowed to add any other exercises in like Hip Thrusts or Glute Bridges?

Replies

• FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You you add in whatever you like extra. Its just a base workout system. As for a lack of bench, the floor will work but it does limit your ROM a bit. Still better than not doing it though
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you have a squat rack? Can you do push ups or dumbbell chest press instead of bench press? How much do you have in the form of bars/plates/dumbbells?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts isn't intended to be done without barbells.

If you're not using a barbell then the program really isn't going to work as intended. If you have a rack, might be good to invest in a bench. You can get them cheap off of craigs list or online.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I would personally run another program. The intention of Stronglifts is to get you really strong in a fairly linear manner on the big lifts before moving on to a intermediate program. You might be better off running something like Strong Curves, especially if you're wanting to do glute bridges and thrusts and whatnot. It would also be a better choice if you're looking more towards aesthetics than raw strength. Stronglifts is basically an introduction to power lifting and a good place to start if you're looking into getting into that sport...but yeah, you need barbells and a bench, rack, etc.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would run a template that you have access to the equipment needed.
  • butterfly_2019
    butterfly_2019 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, yeah I have a barbell and plates, just no bench!
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Floor press, press on a medicine ball or put a plate on your back and do push-ups.

With less weights and equipment than a standard gym, you could look at a high-volume high-frequency training since you will outgrow StrongLifts because of the lower rep ranges as other have mentioned above.

I did Body Beast when I was training from my home gym and gained muscle on the program.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Thanks all, yeah I have a barbell and plates, just no bench!

Yr gonna need a squat rack for strong lifts though.
  • mcraburn123
    mcraburn123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I did stronglifts and got tge most results i have ever gotten in my life. I also did GOMAD ( gallon of milk a day). Its set ul that way for a reason and besides squat i think bench press is the most important exercuse for your upper body. I always felt like that was the hardest exercise for me to progress on but ppl are different. You should defintely try ro find a way to bench press if you are doing stronglifts. It might not be crucial but if you cant bench you should probably wait until tou have all the stuff you need before you start. Maybe you could do weighted dips bc that works the same muscles and puts a massive strain on your chest, shoulders, and triceps. Im sure you could find something to do dips on even if you have to build something. But definitely try to find a way to incorporate bench press into your workout bc that exercise will give you phenomenal results as long as you progress.