Bulk or Cut?

Options
Hi All,

My name is Jim :) AKA Ninjalnk. I am a newbie in this category. A little about myself;

From February 2019 - Now I managed to get my weight down from 11.7 Stone to 8.5 Stone. My Waist size for my trousers went down from 34 to 28. I guess you could say my knowledge on anything was useless as I restricted and probably went into Starvation, just eating certain foods all year round until October when I expanded my Food Knowledge and got this MFP. Now I am in the prediciment of whether I should Bulk or Cut some more? Honestly cutting I can do it, but I don't know if I am mentally ready to do this again.

Please advise, here below are my stats: I can send Pictures on request to show BodyComp if needed.

My BodyFat % is 17% should I bulk or cut some more?

Male who is 28
I am 5 Height FT 6.
Weight 8.5 Stone
Neck Inches 14in
Waist 28 in
Hip 32 in

I lift weights 3 times a week (60Mins each session) mostly Isolated, and do HIIT twice a week 40 minutes total.

The Military Test Bodyfat Calculator said I should be eating 3000+ Calories but I am not sure.

Also unsure, whether my split of Macros is good enough.

Any help is great, and thank you. P.S I did read the stickies :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You would want to be around 10-12% BF to start a bulk as you are going to put on fat as well.

Why are you doing primarily isolation movements for lifting? The foundation of any quality program is compound movements. Lifting 3x per week, you're going to be far better off running a full body program that emphasizes compound movements with some isolation movements.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I would personally not cut anymore. At 119 lbs your already underweight. I would consider a moderate bulk and switch focus to muscle building
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    At 8.5 stone u need to gain some weight

Get a good beginner program
    Ditch the hiit for now
    Eat in a slight surplus
  • ninjalnk
    ninjalnk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Like I said I am a complete newbie on this sort of thing. I will find a decent lifting program for now. Anyone got any directions of what one to do?

Also, in conclusion I should be gaining in a slight plus? Any ideas on macros/calories please.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Strength Training Routines:
    nSuns (novice/intermediate)
    GZCL (intermediate)
    GZCLP (novice/intermediate)
    Ivysaur 4-4-8 (novice)
    Strong Lifts 5x5 (novice)
    Madcow 5x5 (intermediate/advanced)
    Wendler 5/3/1 (intermediate)
    Building the Monolith (intermediate/advanced)

Yes, a caloric surplus of at least 300 calories of what your maintenance would be. 2400 on non training day and 2600 calories on training days at your weight.