What exercise did you start out with til now?

Options
Just curious :)
I’d love to see how others started vs where they’re at now.

Replies

• FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    During and after college, mostly running and curls....to the fast food joint and the 12oz variety.

That spurned the need for several BB video sets and my current crossfit addiction
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I started at Spin Class. I still go to Spin Class, but now I also cycle outdoors, run outdoors, lift weights and swim.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I started with elliptical and walking, nor I mostly run and cycle.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    In college I dabbled in running, used the rowing machine alot, and sporadically lifted some weights

After gaining some weight after graduating and getting a real job, I bought a set of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells and did P90x on/off for a while and got into running more as that's my wife's favorite.

In 2015 I started getting more serious about weights and bought a bench and barbell set.

I now lift 5-6 days/week and really enjoy it as a hobby as well as the strength and aesthetics improvements it's brought me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    How far back do you want to go?

Weightlifting class in high school, judo in college and beyond (til about 2004), nothing for awhile, jogging (up to half-marathons) 2008-2012ish, some yoga around the same time 2008-2012, Stronglifts 5X5 around 2014, competitive powerlifting and some yoga 2016 to current.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I used to weight train in my 30s....then I quit , got lazy and gained 100 lbs...Last April I started up again just walking 2-3 miles a day for first couple of months... -93 lbs later, now I am back to weight training and spin bike for cardio. I work out every day of the week and am 55 years old.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I started in October 2012 just walking. I transitioned to jogging a few days per week and walking the others. In February 2013 I got into the gym and added weight training to the mix. I hit maintenance in April 2013 and continued to workout. I eventually got into cycling and started training for a century ride in January 2014 for a century in May 2014...I ended up doing a 1/2 century due to a cycling crash and injury that detoured my training time. From 2014 through 2017 I did a number of endurance cycling events and races but ultimately got tired of such structured training and spending so much time preparing...not to mention time became more constrained with my kids growing and starting school and homework and soccer, archery, etc.

Road cycling and mountain biking are still my primary forms of exercise as well as lifting weights a couple times per week. Since it's winter I usually only get out on my bikes on nice weekend days and do spin classes and other indoor cycling during the week. I also do quite a bit of hiking and some rock climbing here and there. I am active most days, but I make sure I take two days for active recovery and just do light exercises like walking and/or yoga. I have two strenuous exercise sessions weekly, otherwise I would put most of my exercise as moderate intensity.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I really got into exercise and got pretty fit starting back in 2009 when I got into Beachbody workouts (mainly TurboFire and some others), then in 2012 got into cardio kickboxing type classes, then in 2014 started working with weights, dabbled in BodyBeast but found it did not work well with my goals, did some random Bodybuilding.com stuff then finally discovered Bret Contreras and started Strong Curves in fall of 2014. Got into yoga around that time too. Been following similar programming ever since!
  • ricmtz
    ricmtz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started with at home workouts when I first started my journey about 7 years ago. I was 350lbs and I didn’t want anyone seeing me workout. I eventually overcame that fear. It wasnt easy though. I went from working out at home, to walking and then jogging. So basically cardio until I built up the confidence to go to a gym. My current weight is 275lbs.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Mostly cycling, some hiking too. Now I do crazy long trips on both, I've added climbing and skiing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Crawling, walking, running, cycling on a bike with only one stabiliser (could only do clockwise circles!), cycling without stabilisers, soccer, weight training, volley ball, rugby, tennis, hill walking - that gets me up to my 30's.

Squash and weight training - 30's.

Weight training and dabbled in running and rowing and cycling - most of my 40's.

Road cycling far more seriously and weight training - 50's.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Oh, man.

Let's skip childhood. Only organized sport in high school was a short stint on the tennis team, and gym classes. Mostly bookish.

College, mega big amounts of cycling and walking on a large campus, plus an active job. After that, around 30 years of mostly sedentary, with brief periods where I did a good bit of canoeing (once a week or so), backwoods canoeing annual vacations with portages for around 20 years, a little random gymming and swimming, about 8 years continuous years in there somewhere of regular Chinese martial arts practice (multiple times a week). Then a bunch more sedentary. I'm sure I"m forgetting some stuff**, but most of it didn't last, other than the martial arts for a while.

Starting in my mid-40s, after cancer treatment, I realized I needed to really work at it, if I ever wanted to have normal strength and energy back. Started with gentler things like yoga, weight trained seriously for a couple of years, then joined a rowing team. Got addicted to rowing, have kept doing that since, on-water usually 4x a week in season, lower volume machine work in Winter, some competition on water and on machine; spin classes for probably at least a decade now; took adult learn-to-swim lessons and lap swimming classes for a while; ride my bike some; try to talk myself into weight training but tend to quit and resume.

Mostly, now (age 64) the routine is rowing (water in summer, machine in winter), twice a week spin classes, a little cycling in summer, on and off weight training, and miscellaneous occasional other fun active stuff.

** ETA: Cross country skiing. I left that out, and did a bit of it every Winter for a while, mostly in my 20s/30s.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I started with walking and yoga. I gradually learned how to run and did some strength training with body weight and hand weights (like 30 day shred and the firm DVDs). Now I run, do kickboxing workouts, step routines, lift heavy free weights, etc
  • BrownSugar174
    BrownSugar174 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I started out with the elliptical machine. Up until a week ago I was doing 60 minutes on the elliptical machine five times a week (I incorporated a weight workout in June 2019 after starting my weight loss journey on 6/1/2018)

Last week my gym installed a Jacob’s Ladder workout machine and I am completely hooked. In the short period of time I’ve been using this machine I just feel like my body is changing. Only time will tell but wow! I started doing it for 20 minutes in intervals of 1 minute on..30-40 seconds off and so on (with a total of 20 minutes actually on the machine and 20 minutes rest/moving). I keep moving on the 30-40 second rest periods. Then I do intervals of 10 squats and 1- 30 second plank (five sets). Here’s an article on the machine...and me doing it😊

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSBRE89709020121008

phv51t6bfjju.jpeg
    wmvnglgch5f5.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    I started with walking and running.

I didn't start riding a bicycle until I was about 5 years old.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Start: yoga and walk (to work)
    Now: Weights/ground in home gym 5x pw 35-45 min Running 3-4x pw total 20-30km/w Walk to work 5x pw (2.5km each way) Walk everywhere I can for shopping and other things.
    On a regular basis my schedule is slightly adjusted due to work commitments/business travel but I will always get my 10K steps in and will take my running gear when away for more than one night. I like clocking up new countries and cities on my Garmin
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Fat and not active as a kid, though I did a decent amount of canoeing.

Started running senior year of HS, worked up to a 10k.

Joined the crew team in college, rowed indoors and out. A lot. Continued running, did a few half marathons. Started kickboxing at an awesome competitive gym. Ran out of time & $. Kept running and rowing.

20s-early 30s—running, a few more halfs, got into hot yoga for a while.

Mid-late 30s—discovered weight lifting. Discovered my hips post 4 kids hate running. Lift 5-6x/week. Do enough cardio (stair machine, elliptical) to keep some endurance, run exactly 1 5k a year with my kids, and do obstacle races. Started indoor rock climbing and love it. Bought kayaks, starting to get into that too. But mostly lifting. All the lifting.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I started out with the elliptical machine. Up until a week ago I was doing 60 minutes on the elliptical machine five times a week (I incorporated a weight workout in June 2019 after starting my weight loss journey on 6/1/2018)

Last week my gym installed a Jacob’s Ladder workout machine and I am completely hooked. In the short period of time I’ve been using this machine I just feel like my body is changing. Only time will tell but wow! I started doing it for 20 minutes in intervals of 1 minute on..30-40 seconds off and so on (with a total of 20 minutes actually on the machine and 20 minutes rest/moving). I keep moving on the 30-40 second rest periods. Then I do intervals of 10 squats and 1- 30 second plank (five sets). Here’s an article on the machine...and me doing it😊

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSBRE89709020121008

phv51t6bfjju.jpeg
    wmvnglgch5f5.png

That’s awesome! I like the idea of incorporating it into a HIT type workout. My gym has them but I’ve never used it, thinking I wouldn’t be able to do it for long. Might try it out instead of the tower next time I do my HIIT!
  • Viktorija34
    Viktorija34 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started with rowing machine and some classes such as circuit training. This was several years ago when I was much fitter. Now, I do some cardio exercises using again rowing machine, bicycle, fast walking on the treadmill. For the last 2 months, I had some personal training sessions and learnt more or less some exercises using different weights. This was very useful. I feel a lot stronger but it is still a long way to get to my target weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    In June 2014 I could barely walk up my own steep driveway. I started with 1/4 mile walks and strength training with a personal trainer 2x. 5 1/2 years later I still walk (intentionally) 2-3 miles several times a week, strength train 3x on my own, lap swim 2-3x, and cycle in the summer. I've completed several 5ks and 10ks (mostly walked) and three triathlons and many many hikes of any length I desire.