KETO Question

Options
Does anybody calorie count on KETO, if yes how much do you allow yourself a day

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My impression is that most in these parts (MFP) do, and of course the calories are the same as for any other way of keeping a deficit. You can go on MFP and get a calorie goal and then just adjust the macros to keto macros. When I did keto I kept my calories as they'd been and adjusted the macros, for example (I was at maintenance already).
  • BradandLibby
    BradandLibby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I’ve only been doing Keto for 15 days but a big difference for me is that I no longer plan my meals based on calories (e.g., what’s the most food I can get for 200 calories) versus just logging my food based on what I eat. Because of the satiety factor of the higher fats, my calories so far have been in line. And though it was recommended, I used to avoid using olive oil because I hated spending the calories. I love that I can now get in my healthy fats and still be within my calorie goals.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    When I log my food I let calories end up where they end up and eat to my appetite too. Some days I eat more and some days I eat less but I tend to end up under eating if I try to stick to a calorie target. The days that I'm hungry I need to eat more--sometimes a lot more to balance out the days I'm not very hungry and eat less.

If you're new to eating low carb I'd try logging without deliberately restricting your calories at first and see how you make out. If after a few weeks you're not losing weight at the rate you're expecting to that's when I'd cut back and deliberately restrict my calories to what's recommended.
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I’m new to keto (2 weeks) and I aim for 1500 kcal, not more but I do feel it’s more than enough sometimes. I’m logging everything as I need to get used to right macro ratios and it helps me focus too. I used to do just low carb and for now I find keto way more satisfying - I literally have no cravings (for now, fingers crossed) and only feel real hunger (not horrible; just hunger, not a craving) about 10 minutes before my meal time. So far so good. I noticed I need to get my electrolytes in the morning otherwise I get a headache. Or maybe that’s coincidence.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When i want to lose weight, i log for the precision. I can maintain pretty easy on keto or not while not logging.

I will eat 1800-2300 while cutting.
  • mhughescmu
    mhughescmu Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I count calories and macros every day. I try for 70-20-10 macros. Biggest issue is keeping protein down in the right range.
  • billdwyatt
    billdwyatt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been on low carb/keto for 2 weeks now. I stopped counting calories at meals and just count carbs. When I log my food in MFP I've found that it's very difficult to reach the calorie level I should. I don't get hungry and don't get shaky or faint like I do sometimes on low calorie. So far this has been good for me.
  • muskieschaef
    muskieschaef Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If your first starting out on keto I would count calories until your body fat adapted. That usually take 3 weeks.