Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Bueller? Anyone?

Replies

• MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am male, so yes I can fix whatever problem you have. Just hand me that wrench and..... oooops.... ummmmm..... uh, that was broken before I got here and this was the wrong wrench and bye.....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No but the boyfriend is a bit of an amateur mechanic (he always fixes our cars). I can ask him if you want.
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am male, so yes I can fix whatever problem you have. Just hand me that wrench and..... oooops.... ummmmm..... uh, that was broken before I got here and this was the wrong wrench and bye.....

ROFLMAO!!!!!
  • mpcass
    Options
    I can take anything apart.
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm not, but my son is. . . .
  • toddgaines
    Options
    I can change a battery, air filter, and I once installed a car stereo armed with only a butter knife and a roll of electrical tape... but no .. definitely not a mechanic
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    what up?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    OK, so something started on fire in my steering column... melted a tish of the part that is my "horn" on the steering wheel - but quickly went out and just turned into a billowing ball of electrical burn & smoke.

The controls for my lights no longer work. The parking lights & dash lights are in a perpetual state of "on." It otherwise is driving fine.

It's a 2003 small SUV bought in 2002, 140K miles+.

Now that there is something effed up w/ the electrical system (I have no clue how bad), is it time to start car shopping? I love not having a car payment... but when people hear there's something electrical wrong I get the "Oh, You're screwed" face. I guess... how bad could this be? *LOL*
  • odusgolp
    Options
    OH, very important details left out: I disconnected the battery after this happened. Reconnected it this morning just so I could drive it to the shop where it now is. They have not yet looked at it...
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Sounds expensive.
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    Could be a simple 'wire bundle' replacement in the column. Odd that there was that kind of damage and fire and smoke. the insulation on the wires must have caught fire because of some kind of short in one or more wires in the bundle.

I would think that your garage will give you an idea if you want to buy another car, but you can't really sell/trade the one you have now in it's current condition.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Sounds expensive.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mechanic, but I'm pretty sure this is an easy one: you need a new car!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If he comes out and says, Uh-Oh!!! Find nearest dealership.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Could be a simple 'wire bundle' replacement in the column. Odd that there was that kind of damage and fire and smoke. the insulation on the wires must have caught fire because of some kind of short in one or more wires in the bundle.

I would think that your garage will give you an idea if you want to buy another car, but you can't really sell/trade the one you have now in it's current condition.

I like this theory that starts /w the word "simple"....

Ugh.
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Electrical may not be as bad as the "computer" being bad. . . so I wouldn't give up just yet. Could be something simpler than you think. Did they say anything about the airbag (seeing it's in your steering wheel) where the fire happened? Double-check to make sure you have no recalls on your vehicle. . .could save you a bundle. . .
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    That's relative I guess.

There may be one or more wire bundles involved or there may only be one big honkin' bundle for all the connections into the steering column.

But you also said the column and the horn cover are burned/melted too right?

Good luck... Hope you don't have to throw yourself up on the service counter so the mechanic can have his way with you... But if you do remember... Pics or it didn't happen... :happy:

P.S. Simple does not equal cheap. :wink:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    If it was a question regarding a diesel engine or older tractor transmission I could maybe help.

Modern car stuff....eeek.gif

For a fire to have happened I am guessing you had a short to ground in the electrical system.
    I imagine the dash harness will need to be replaced and depending on how it was setup could be an expensive fix.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    It's official. My body is for sale.
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    Great now we just need to negotiate a price... :bigsmile: