Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Food, diet, and exercise help

cvdub16cvdub16 Member Posts: 64 Member Member Posts: 64 Member
So I have been attempting to be back at it since I had my baby in March and started working again in November but I am failing again. I'm trying to make good food choices while at work but I tend to cheat on candy and what not at work and then when I get home I start snacking on bad stuff. And don't get me started on the weekends, I often skip meals, we have 5 kids all together and I often focus on getting them fed and forget myself till I'm starving. I usually for work do coffee and English muffin for breakfast, then a salad or sandwich with lays pops for lunch and triscuits and cheese cubes for a snack but I am finding myself hungry so I start snacking on unhealthy things. I usually make pretty decent and healthy dinners though. As far as working out it's non existent. I find it hard between working all day and then taking care of the kids when I get home with one of them being only 9 months old to even attempt to work out. I also have to be up at 545 every morning. I guess I'm looking for advice for food and snacks that are healthy ( I can be picky though) and how to fit in working out with work and the kids. I really wanna loose this weight but I have had yet again a horrible start. Thanks in advance!
edited January 2020

Replies

  • corinasue1143corinasue1143 Member Posts: 5,775 Member Member Posts: 5,775 Member
    Sounds like a lot of your problem is time management. (5 kids and a job, you better believe time is a problem! Lol). Think about it now and have healthy snacks available easily.
    Protein helps keep most people full longer and better. Your breakfast has very little protein, maybe add an egg or meat. Your lunch may be light on protein, too. If you have lunch at noon and it’s 6:30 or 7 by the time you get your own dinner, no wonder you’re hungry. Plan a pretty big snack so you won’t be so hungry for little snacks.
    Good luck!
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,554 Member Member Posts: 7,554 Member
    cvdub16 wrote: »
    I usually for work do coffee and English muffin for breakfast, then a salad or sandwich with lays pops for lunch and triscuits and cheese cubes for a snack but I am finding myself hungry so I start snacking on unhealthy things. I usually make pretty decent and healthy dinners though.

    I'm another one who thinks the issue may be not enough protein earlier in the day/food choice.

    Experimenting to see what is more filling from you would be a good idea. One question is when you start getting hungry and wanting to snack? Are you good between breakfast and lunch? If so, I'd worry less about breakfast, if not, I'd add protein to breakfast (low fat greek yogurt or premade egg cups would both be easy, or you could even add in more cals if you aren't going to waste cals on unplanned snacks). If the issue is more between lunch and dinner, I'd experiment -- salad with protein on it works well for me, but it seems like you might not be getting a lot of protein in lunch. Another idea would be to bring more and higher protein (as well as low cal) snacks -- maybe some low fat cottage cheese or greek yogurt or leftover chicken breast or hardboiled eggs for the protein and then raw veg or maybe berries for something low cal if you are feeling hungry or tempted to eat.

    Basically, I'd try different things and then use the Notes feature in your diary to comment on how they worked and when you were struggling or hungry.
    edited January 2020
  • lcvrabliklcvrablik Member Posts: 224 Member Member Posts: 224 Member
    I love my snacks too. Like the others, I agree that having protein with every meal/snack does help keep you full longer, although it does sound like you're already mostly doing that. I also drink a lot of water (with the added bonus that I get exercise walking to the restroom every two hours :smile: ) I make individual bags of veggies + hummus for a fresh, crunchy snack, and if I forget/become lazy, I keep healthy high-protein snacks in my desk at work -- whole grain crackers, flaxseed chips, and nuts -- so if I do get hungry I can stay away from the vending machine. And I use the weekends to plan and cook (and pre-log) meals for the week.

    But mostly, don't beat yourself up. You are working so hard for your family, and it's okay if you don't lose as quickly as other people on this site. Remember: a healthy, happy mom is an even better mom!
  • cvdub16cvdub16 Member Posts: 64 Member Member Posts: 64 Member
    Thank you all so far. I'm loving the advice. I agree I hardly eat any protein during the day. It's hard cause I can't stand the way chicken tastes our smells the next day or being reheated so I always stay away from it unless it's dinner or something I'll eat right after it's cooked. I have been thinking of doing smoothes again in the morning too. I do snack between breakfast and lunch and before dinner. I need more ideas for lunch and snacks too. Mostly everything haha.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 21,531 Member Member, Premium Posts: 21,531 Member
    cvdub16 wrote: »
    Thank you all so far. I'm loving the advice. I agree I hardly eat any protein during the day. It's hard cause I can't stand the way chicken tastes our smells the next day or being reheated so I always stay away from it unless it's dinner or something I'll eat right after it's cooked. I have been thinking of doing smoothes again in the morning too. I do snack between breakfast and lunch and before dinner. I need more ideas for lunch and snacks too. Mostly everything haha.

    Smoothies would be good, if you find them filling, especially if you make them with protein powder or Greek yogurt for protein.

    Some other protein snack ideas would be crispy chickpeas or broadbeans, reduced fat cheese sticks (I don't mostly like reduced fat cheese, but the 2% milk cheese sticks are pretty good), dry roasted soynuts if you like them.

    For breakfast or lunch, another option would be egg muffins/muffin-tin frittatas: There are a zillion recipes on Pinterest or via Google, and they're easy so once you understand the basics you can make them with leftovers as the veg/meat part, if you like. You make them in a muffin tin, freeze, then you can store in the freezer in a bag or freezer box, and zap one or two in the microwave when you want them.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 24,766 Member Member Posts: 24,766 Member
    Another vote for more protein, and smoothies with protein powder and/or making batches of egg muffins to freeze then reheat when needed.

    Hard boiled eggs are good snacks and you can bulk them out with raw veggies as mentioned above.
  • katshearekatsheare Member Posts: 1,075 Member Member Posts: 1,075 Member
    lcvrablik wrote: »
    I love my snacks too. Like the others, I agree that having protein with every meal/snack does help keep you full longer, although it does sound like you're already mostly doing that. I also drink a lot of water (with the added bonus that I get exercise walking to the restroom every two hours :smile: ) I make individual bags of veggies + hummus for a fresh, crunchy snack, and if I forget/become lazy, I keep healthy high-protein snacks in my desk at work -- whole grain crackers, flaxseed chips, and nuts -- so if I do get hungry I can stay away from the vending machine. And I use the weekends to plan and cook (and pre-log) meals for the week.

    But mostly, don't beat yourself up. You are working so hard for your family, and it's okay if you don't lose as quickly as other people on this site. Remember: a healthy, happy mom is an even better mom!

    Like @lcvrablik I love my snacks: I'm a grazer. So I make sure I can graze through the work day (using above suggestions like prepping when you've time [I know, time is the most scarce and valuable resource!] and pre-logging with tweaks come the day) on things that will satisfy my sweet tooth (red/orange/yellow bell peppers; fruit) top up my protein (dairy, nuts, roasted seeds/beans) and give me that savoury crunch (lentil/pea crisps, rice cakes). I'm still working on my satiety sweet spot, because while I do a fair bit of protein (and it doesn't have to be chicken. Look into things like legumes and beans - they can be worked into a lot of what you make anyway and generally add fibre and other nutrients that may help in other ways as well) that never seems to make me want to stop grazing.

    In terms of time, the thing I love doing is using leftovers for either lunch or breakfast (the batch-prep of soups is along a similar line). So maybe start thinking about dinners in terms of what you'd want to be eating at a later meal! Not every night, but start with one or two a week, then see how that works, build from there.

    I don't know what the age ranges are with your kids, but if there are ways they can start helping with meal prep over the weekends (mixing, mashing, using snips to cut up things like spring onion or herbs... There are two shows on the BBC youngest childrens network called 'I Can Cook' and 'My World Kitchen', they may be available on youtube to watch, but both have kid-friendly recipes online [I think you should be able to use the recipes, even if you can't watch the programmes through the BBC website - I am assuming you're in the States since you mentioned 'lays' and they'd be 'walkers' here...] if you need ideas/suggestions) which may in the long run afford you a bit more time. Or if there are ways you and your husband can rejig who's Parent On Duty so you get some time and don't feel forced into leaving yourself for last. Remember to put your own oxygen mask on before helping anyone else!

    And my last bit of advice/observation: forgive yourself when it goes wonky! Absolute perfection all the time doesn't exist outside a lab setting (and possibly not there). You're here, you're trying, that's huge. Keep testing, assessing, adjusting and readjusting. It will be a movable feast anyway. Find out what works for you for now, and know that there's a good chance that will change in time as well.

    Sending you fellow-mum fist-bumps and hugs: you're doing great!
  • CardinalCombCardinalComb Member Posts: 66 Member Member Posts: 66 Member
    You're eating too often. 3 meals a day + at least 2 rounds of snacks, no wonder you're struggling.
  • cvdub16cvdub16 Member Posts: 64 Member Member Posts: 64 Member
    Wow thank you all so far!! I'm loving all the advice and suggestions. I'm definitely going to take them all into consideration. I need to plan more that's for sure.
  • cvdub16cvdub16 Member Posts: 64 Member Member Posts: 64 Member
    katsheare wrote: »
    lcvrablik wrote: »
    I love my snacks too. Like the others, I agree that having protein with every meal/snack does help keep you full longer, although it does sound like you're already mostly doing that. I also drink a lot of water (with the added bonus that I get exercise walking to the restroom every two hours :smile: ) I make individual bags of veggies + hummus for a fresh, crunchy snack, and if I forget/become lazy, I keep healthy high-protein snacks in my desk at work -- whole grain crackers, flaxseed chips, and nuts -- so if I do get hungry I can stay away from the vending machine. And I use the weekends to plan and cook (and pre-log) meals for the week.

    But mostly, don't beat yourself up. You are working so hard for your family, and it's okay if you don't lose as quickly as other people on this site. Remember: a healthy, happy mom is an even better mom!

    Like @lcvrablik I love my snacks: I'm a grazer. So I make sure I can graze through the work day (using above suggestions like prepping when you've time [I know, time is the most scarce and valuable resource!] and pre-logging with tweaks come the day) on things that will satisfy my sweet tooth (red/orange/yellow bell peppers; fruit) top up my protein (dairy, nuts, roasted seeds/beans) and give me that savoury crunch (lentil/pea crisps, rice cakes). I'm still working on my satiety sweet spot, because while I do a fair bit of protein (and it doesn't have to be chicken. Look into things like legumes and beans - they can be worked into a lot of what you make anyway and generally add fibre and other nutrients that may help in other ways as well) that never seems to make me want to stop grazing.

    In terms of time, the thing I love doing is using leftovers for either lunch or breakfast (the batch-prep of soups is along a similar line). So maybe start thinking about dinners in terms of what you'd want to be eating at a later meal! Not every night, but start with one or two a week, then see how that works, build from there.

    I don't know what the age ranges are with your kids, but if there are ways they can start helping with meal prep over the weekends (mixing, mashing, using snips to cut up things like spring onion or herbs... There are two shows on the BBC youngest childrens network called 'I Can Cook' and 'My World Kitchen', they may be available on youtube to watch, but both have kid-friendly recipes online [I think you should be able to use the recipes, even if you can't watch the programmes through the BBC website - I am assuming you're in the States since you mentioned 'lays' and they'd be 'walkers' here...] if you need ideas/suggestions) which may in the long run afford you a bit more time. Or if there are ways you and your husband can rejig who's Parent On Duty so you get some time and don't feel forced into leaving yourself for last. Remember to put your own oxygen mask on before helping anyone else!

    And my last bit of advice/observation: forgive yourself when it goes wonky! Absolute perfection all the time doesn't exist outside a lab setting (and possibly not there). You're here, you're trying, that's huge. Keep testing, assessing, adjusting and readjusting. It will be a movable feast anyway. Find out what works for you for now, and know that there's a good chance that will change in time as well.

    Sending you fellow-mum fist-bumps and hugs: you're doing great!

    Thank you so much for this!! I love your ideas!
  • NicbPNWNicbPNW Member Posts: 47 Member Member Posts: 47 Member
    Planning ahead is the only way I can stay on track at work. I write out a list of healthy and filling snacks then I make sure I have all the ingredients for them. Then I spend a little time on the weekend prepping those snacks so they are easy to grab and take to work. I even plan ahead for what I am going to take to work for breakfast, lunch and snacks so I'm prepared when I leave in the morning.

    Fill up on fruits and veggies throughout the day and then add in some protein like greek yogurt, string cheese or nuts.

    You've got this! Just plan ahead!
  • csplattcsplatt Member Posts: 561 Member Member Posts: 561 Member
    At night, you can pre log / portion and weigh all your food for the next day. So you have something ready to snack on at work. And ready to snack on while you cook or feed other people. The goal is to literally eat it all. Just not anything extra.
  • spiriteagle99spiriteagle99 Member Posts: 3,192 Member Member Posts: 3,192 Member
    Hard boiled eggs and fruit make easy healthy and filling snacks.
  • wifeoferpwifeoferp Member Posts: 88 Member Member Posts: 88 Member
    I am with you on the taste of reheated chicken EXCEPT when it has been grilled. For some reason I don’t mind eating leftover grilled chicken.
    I usually grill about 6 pounds of chicken and use it in various recipes through the week, which would make great meal prep for your lunches as well. That and cooking the big Costco pork tenderloins in my instant pot. They are versatile once they are shredded and can be a great source of protein for dinner and lunch recipes throughout the week as well.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,554 Member Member Posts: 7,554 Member
    I don't like reheated chicken, but I'm fine with cold chicken (although typically cold chicken cooked on the bone, which is how I tend to do it most of the time).
Sign In or Register to comment.