I know their is no excercise to hit a certain body area

Options
BUT is it possible to lose wings ? Like losing weight can I also loose my wings or is there anything I can do for those ( arm fat that hangs and is wobbly ) it’s one of my biggest insecurities! I’m working on making a new workout for the 4 days of work I’m off nothing crazy just some to stay active and help me not be obese lol but have you guys lost your wings or no how to or is this just my new life, flying :(

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    4lustxx wrote: »
    BUT is it possible to lose wings ? Like losing weight can I also loose my wings or is there anything I can do for those ( arm fat that hangs and is wobbly ) it’s one of my biggest insecurities! I’m working on making a new workout for the 4 days of work I’m off nothing crazy just some to stay active and help me not be obese lol but have you guys lost your wings or no how to or is this just my new life, flying :(

If you are still in the process of losing weight, you will most likely continue to lose fat from your arms. If part of the problem is excess loose skin, your skin may also continue tightening up, sometimes for months or even years after you hit goal weight.

As the previous poster said, building muscle in your biceps and triceps will help shape the area as well.

None if this is a guarantee you can completely eliminate wings, but there could still be a lot of improvement coming.

An important thing to remember though is that it is perfectly normal to have hanging skin in that area when you aren't flexing your muscles, that's just the way skin works. You need a little extra room to allow for those muscles to flex. :smiley:
  • 4lustxx
    4lustxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @sgt1372 sorry I always hear other wise but thank you I’ll look this up !!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    @sgt1372 sorry I always hear other wise but thank you I’ll look this up !!!

You can't target fat loss in particular areas, so if that's what you've heard, that's right.

You can build up or firm up muscles in particular areas by working those muscles properly: I think that's what sgt1372 is referring to.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I “lost” my wings doing weight training and lots and lots of dynamic flow yoga classes. However, as Anne says above, I still have a flap which disappears when I flex. But when my arms are relaxed, it makes this really cool clapping sound when I run up and down the stairs, which just sends me into fits of giggles.

It’s all good. I’ll take flapping clapping underarms and the ability to run up stairs versus what I used to be. 😂
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    sorry I always hear other wise but thank you I’ll look this up !!!

The two components of your body a person can change dramatically are fat tissue and muscle tissue. Maybe alcohol or tobacco abuse can change organs, but not really a self experiment anyone should run...
    Anyway, calorie deficits will tend to reduce fat, but there is little control over where it comes from. There are slight hints that very particular exercise regimes or drugs could alter it, mainly in already lean individuals. Otherwise, without visiting a plastic surgeon, fat comes off where your body decides.
    You can spot increase size and alter appearance by growing muscle, and muscle growth is entirely region specific: bicep curls won't grow muscle in your forehead - well unless you're staring way too hard at your form. Sure, there are genetics that lend people to be better at it or at growing certain regions, but growth will happen if and only if you increasing exercise stimulus gets to the muscle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 - I've been grabbing my hang-y bits (that sounds a bit off, but oh, well!). Thank you! My wings are, well, let's just say "oh for the wings of a dove rather than an almighty albatross". But I've just discovered they're mostly muscle. Yippee. Now I just have to walk around flexed with my arms overhead. LOL.

I'm glad! :flowerforyou:

Literally every women I've led through this "test" in real life has been mis-identifying some part of her nice, useful muscle as ugly, hanging fat/skin, and hating on it.

This "wing" thing is one of my pet peeves: It makes me sad when women hate their muscles, especially if by mistake.
  • kamilpcook
    kamilpcook Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tricep dips are great for functional strength and tighten things up. No equipment needed — just your body weight and a stable chair, stair or even on the floor. If you have access to a gym, try battle ropes. They give you a great cardio workout and also tone and strengthen the arms, back and core. If you squat using the ropes, you will get a great flute workout as well. Good luck!
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think you are trying to reference, you can’t spot reduce fat. If you add muscle to your arm, it will make it rounder and more shapely. Tricep and bicep exercises will round everything out plus general fat loss can create definition.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This discussion shows how people tend to primarily think of exercise as a way to get rid of fat. In retrospect, this shouldn't be surprising given how overweight Americans have become... but it's not the right way to think about exercise.