Audio “coaching” for running? Something other than C25K...

Options
I have done C25K a couple times before and currently I can run (jog) a 5k without stopping, avg pace probably 35 minutes (two races I have done were 38 range, one was a hilly trail run, the other had a massive “hill” that we had to hike back up... last one at Christmas I was on pace for 30 minutes, but the police accidentally blocked park of the course so I don’t know for sure exactly where I would have finished at 3.1 miles vs. 2.75... they had pacers with signs, really neat!, and lo and behold I was chasing the 30 min. pacer, not the 35 like I thought :D ).

Anyway, my main run routine is the <1 mile loop around the neighborhood, and after two years it is getting dreadfully boring. Tonight I clicked on a challenge through my RunKeeper App, nothing fancy, but similar to the C25K with intervals. There are 6 of them I hope to work through, next one is a fartlek I believe. I started a podcast and between it and the anticipation for the prompts, time went by so much faster! And I was able to run far longer than I normally do, likely because I wasn’t focused on time or distance, but on the incoming prompts. The podcast wasn’t a new addition, I started that a couple months ago.

Any suggestions for something to do longer term? Are there coaching type podcasts with intervals built in? Or audio training plans for maybe a 10k? I am not looking to add much distance this stage in life, I don’t have the time to commit (a half or full marathon is a goal, maybe in a few years).

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are bridge to 10k apps. Is that what you mean?
  • figyello
    figyello Posts: 34 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    There is an app called Running for Weight Loss that does intervals. Not a great name but the app is fun--you can set the duration of the workout, and it will tell you to run for certain periods, then walk, then sprint, etc.

Another one you might like is Zombies, Run! which tells a story and then has you run at certain parts--spoiler alert, you're being chased by zombies.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    There are bridge to 10k apps. Is that what you mean?

Maybe? :D I’ll check it out! Just needing something to guide me and take my mind off of what is now essentially an outdoor dreadmill... and improving my time and/or distance would be an added perk...
    figyello wrote: »
    There is an app called Running for Weight Loss that does intervals. Not a great name but the app is fun--you can set the duration of the workout, and it will tell you to run for certain periods, then walk, then sprint, etc.

Another one you might like is Zombies, Run! which tells a story and then has you run at certain parts--spoiler alert, you're being chased by zombies.

I’ll check it out - thanks!

• ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The Nike Run Club has this. It's free. Really good app.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    figyello wrote: »

I loved this app. I used to prop my ipad on my treadmill and run to it before I got pregnant. I credit this app for getting me really into running, so much so I was eventually running 6 to 8 miles. It was a lot of fun. I think I'll redownload it again now that I'm 10 weeks postpartum. Thanks!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I followed up c25k with the b210k podcast. They give you audio cues just like they do in c25k but the announcer was more “abrupt”. It was a 6 week program that got me from 30 minutes running to 60 minutes running.

After finishing b210k, I did a few Runbet games to help me stay motivated. I also found some podcasts with classic literature audio books. So I started listening to a couple chapters each time I ran.

Increasing your distance will likely help you get to a better time on your 5k.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who use zombies run. Not sure if that's what you are after though. Basically it's intervals with zombies chasing you. Haven't used it personally
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if you have a running app. some of them have plans/coaching. i think runkeeper did. garmin does
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Zombies Run.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The Garmin coaching is pretty good, but requires a compatible device.

Zombies, Run is good for entertainment/distraction.

My Garmin allows me to set vibration alerts by time/etc or setup a schedule so if I can listen to whatever I want as a distraction and just change from run to walk when I the alert buzzes.

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    There is an app called seconds pro that allows you to create your own prompted run plan. I used it when I was training for a half marathon. It's completely customizable to suit your needs.
  • Bari_Tone
    Bari_Tone Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use "shuffled" music...not sure if this is what you were looking for, but it certainly helps me on my repetitive/routine running/cycling routes.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to pay for it, there is a device called Moov that will help with this. It will actually give prompts about your pacing and what you can do to improve your stride / cadence.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    The Garmin coaching is pretty good, but requires a compatible device.

Zombies, Run is good for entertainment/distraction.

My Garmin allows me to set vibration alerts by time/etc or setup a schedule so if I can listen to whatever I want as a distraction and just change from run to walk when I the alert buzzes.
    *face palm* never noticed that section of the app! Sweet! I have a Garmin Instinct so I am thinking it should work...
  • moonangel12
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    if you have a running app. some of them have plans/coaching. i think runkeeper did. garmin does

I was doing a really neat C25K training program through RK, which is what hooked me on the app... but I think it was a beta program and was a bit glitchy... I got stuck partway through several times and got tired of having to contact them to reset things for me...
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Matt Wilpers on Peloton digital is very good. He was a D1 runner. He has audio for Outdoor and video for dreadmill. He is now a triathlete coach and I take his spin classes.

Its $13/month but there is a 30 day free trial.
  • mdlowrance
    mdlowrance Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using the Peleton digital app. I haven’t used just the audio yet as my schedule has not allowed me to run outdoors. But I have done a few of the treadmill classes and they have been good. I’m on my free trial period right now, but I think I’m going to keep the app.