Failing miserably

I don’t know what happened. I started on the first weighing 8 pounds lighter- the last two weeks I’ve weighed my food, ate less calories than normal, and have incorporated more fruits, yogurt and water and have even began eating breakfast (never was a breakfast person). Have also limited my coffee to once a day! I know it’s early but this is disappointing. Last thing I want to do is gain weight. Help!
Fat and Failing

Replies

• Noomie2020
    Noomie2020 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for all the positive messages. I’m guessing several things may be taking place (not enough water, not measuring every single thing I eat). I have to be accountable, it was just odd since I wasn’t eating as bad as I usually do. I’ve increased my fruits and veggies, ate breakfast (MD suggested I start to wake up metabolism), and was drinking 1-2 bottles of water daily. I have a way to go I just didn't think I’d gain!! Just ended cycle and possible that ovulation is effecting me as well (in the past have always gained and TOM always lost, so it evens out). I’ll keep plugging away. This week I begin exercising 3x/week and already know from past that I tend to gain when I begin any program. It’s like my body has to hold onto something before letting it go! However, I’m going to Marie Kondo this weight away 😂😂😂
  • kris00
    kris00 Posts: 28 Member
    @Noomie2020 I just started a new support group. Join us. We can all help each other. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/135589-2020-lets-do-this
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    To lose weight calories out must be greater than calories in. But that is an over simplification

Life style - sedentary, active, etc., metabolic rate - how efficiently the body uses energy, diet - what is eaten & how it is eaten, motivation, and other factors all help determine weight loss or gain.

Don't try to eat the elephant at one meal. Make changes, but not all of them at the same time. Try the 2 for 2 change plan: change two things for two weeks before changing anything else. At the end of two weeks, a habit will start to form and another two changes can be implemented. Make one reduction and one addition to keep all changes from feeling negative. Example - reduce calorie intake by, say, 10% and increase exercise by 10 minutes (depending on how vigorous current exercise is).

You can't run from NYC to San Francisco in 15 minutes, but you can do it in small, measured increments over a period of time - if you keep at it.

And good luck on your journey.

• Abby369852
    Abby369852 Posts: 6 Member
    Abby369852
    I have @ 100 pounds to lose and have had a very difficult time getting started. ..I had so many changes to make to my diet ... first thing i did was to completely give up sugar...which i have been working on for several years to be honest.. so that alone took awhile for me .. had ups and downs..... but today i have to say that i have complete success there.. i do not add surgars to any of my foods or beverages.. I so not even eat sweets... Giving up soda was the most difficult change for me and even now if i do not keep a bottle of prepared water or tea with me at all times my inner weekness consumes me ( just too easy to drive by that burger king).....But even with all the changes mentioned above and others the weight just did not seem to be coming down to satisfy me... So I added water aerobics during the 2019 Thanksgiving holiday season and WALA!
    I just stopped making up reasons for myself... i now record my foods, try to take in a class 3 times a week, limiting my carbs... ( and count those calories) I am realiziing eating out is not such a good idea either.... I am honest with myself...... overall from thanksgiving 2019 - jan. 16, 2020 i have lost total of 20 pounds.. Which is not much but it is a start..........
    So YES, you do not have to make all the changes at once... Change , real change is a process and takes time.. In December 2019 I spent several days crying.. This all felt HOPELESS ( Learning how to lose weight) Sometimes i think that i was making this harder than it needs to be ...BUT Now when i get there i remember how i got HERE....
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I started my final cut on Jan 2. My weight bounced all around for the first ten days--up three pounds, down three pounds, up three pounds, etc. It finally evened out after about 10 days and I saw my first loss (1lb) today. So 16 days is what it took to see any weight loss.

And I'm pretty much an expert at this because I've been doing it for years. I weigh all of my food and log it in grams. I don't use the MFP database but enter all of my own food. So I know I'm accurate.

But our bodies don't always do what our minds want it to do.

Patience and consistency is the key.