Soo sore!

Options
So I started working out yesterday was my 2nd day. The program I’m doing does warm up exercises and does a cool down at the end. My body is sooo sore! How are you suppose to keep working out and do the exercises when your body is sore? Any tips on to treat the soreness

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    The first week or two of exercising is painful, particularly if you weren't very active before. Your program was probably too strenuous for your fitness level if you are overly sore. Best thing to do is keep moving. You may have to dial back the workouts until you get conditioned better, but don't stop. Your soreness will feel better if you keep exercising (assuming it's just normal muscle soreness).
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I remember my first 2 weeks on an intense program i could hardly move! Then after that each week got a bit better. But pushing through those weeks and doing what you can, even if you have to modify, is creating a great foundation. Good luck u can do this!
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the comments above that it will get easier as you get used to to. Adding in some time for gentle stretching and incorporating a foam roller after your workout can help with some soreness.
  • KevinWH87
    KevinWH87 Posts: 74 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Allow yourself some extra rest days in the beginning. Light exercise can help in the meantime as it will circulate blood (and therefore nutrients) to those areas. Within a couple weeks, your muscles will be much better adapted and equipped to handle the workload. Most importantly, don’t let it discourage you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I find it best to ease into a new program. Especially bring new to exercising, start with a routine that goes on alternate days, not every day in a row. You might still be a little sore but there is no reason to be so sore you can’t move. This is supposed to be fun and become a lifestyle, not a torture chamber.
  • jenniferkaye22
    jenniferkaye22 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My legs hurt my stomach hurts (from working out) my butt hurts. Unfortunately I have steps in my house and it’s torture to go and up and down them it hurts to bend down.. anything that deals with that basically it hurts. Also this morning I woke up soo stiff and my body hurt worse today than yesterday. I might just do some upper body stuff today just give my lower body a rest.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Any novel resistance training usually comes with some level of DOMS. It will go away the more you move and with movements that are more specific to the movements responsible.

So if it bothers your hamstrings/glutes to squat, I would just do some light body squats using a chair to balance if necessary.

It's nothing to be alarmed about.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    After many years of not working out, I started a pretty intense program. I was soooo sore I couldn’t even walk down the stairs at work so started taking the elevator down 1 flight!! My coworkers all teased me saying I was defeating the purpose of working out.
    After a few weeks it wasn’t as bad but I still get soreness after certain workouts.
    One thing that helped me a lot was I bought a foam roller (cheapo one at Five Below). I’d roll out whenever I could and the soreness gets better right away. It feels better for a couple of hours but the soreness comes back. It especially helps the butt and legs.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I second a foam roller! Didn’t think it could make much difference but it really does. If I foam roll after jogging my legs are fine the next day. If I don’t stairs are agony (and I’m not new to running). Also, as others have said, new exercises or increased intensity will make your muscles hurt to begin with. Try to keep moving.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So I started working out yesterday was my 2nd day. The program I’m doing does warm up exercises and does a cool down at the end. My body is sooo sore! How are you suppose to keep working out and do the exercises when your body is sore? Any tips on to treat the soreness

DOMs is normal and will get better...that said, a common mistake people make getting into fitness is going from basically nothing to working out all of the days...and often, an overly strenuous workload. Fitness is definitely something that is built brick by brick. I would recommend easing into things a bit and taking more recovery time where you could just do some low intensity activity like walking or yoga and just build things up.

I'm relatively in shape, but I've been out of the game for a few months with injury and just starting back...I'm definitely not trying to start where I left off...I will have to build that back up and ease into things. If you're so sore that you can't really do normal daily things, you're doing too much too soon IMO.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Just wait. Honestly, there isn't great evidence that hitting a muscle more than once a week does much more in terms of muscle gain in untrained subjects. You might gain strength a little faster, probably due to increased practice at the skill, but I'm not sure how good a pattern one acquires practicing while in pain.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    My legs hurt my stomach hurts (from working out) my butt hurts. Unfortunately I have steps in my house and it’s torture to go and up and down them it hurts to bend down.. anything that deals with that basically it hurts. Also this morning I woke up soo stiff and my body hurt worse today than yesterday. I might just do some upper body stuff today just give my lower body a rest.

IDK you're experience with fitness or the program you did so keep that in mind but:

When I train clients that have been very sedentary and have desk jobs I typically start them out on a very basic workout the first couple of weeks. Even more so if they're over 40.

Typically, lifts will be 1-2 sets with light weights for 15-20 reps. The problem with these types of folks are they they are so deconditioned that a typical program for 3-4 sets, 5-10 reps will absolutely destroy them needlessly. It doesn't do a lot of good to make someone so sore they can hardly move for a week on the first workout. Chances are they will want to quit. Doing light weight and high reps for these folks will be beneficial because it will get muscular endurance up so that they can handle a workout that is better for strength and building muscle.

I will typically have them do 3 day split or fullbody, program 1-2 sets, 15-20 reps= cardio for first couple of weeks then see where they're at and maybe we start lowering reps, increasing weight and adding sets as appropriate. Not that I try to avoid them getting sore, that's normal, but I don't want to seem my clients waddling into the gym two days later with restricted ROM and unable to do the next workout.

Of course if the initial assessment shows they are probably capable of doing a traditional workout then I will start with that but some people just aren't ready for that. It's also a risk of injury because the CNS and skeletal systems aren't adapted yet.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I rarely do a full body workout. So normally only a couple body parts are sore. I would not weight train a body part that is sore. That being said, a little walking can loosen up some sore legs.