how to know if it’s an injury or just pain after a new excersise

Options
i started a new workour a few days ago that involved more weight training. basically my lower back is really sore like when i’m in my bed and when i tried to stretch after a cardio workout i couldn’t bend to touch my toes when sitting on the floor. my legs are a little sore still but that’s just from the new workout.

how do i know if it’s injured or not? and should i workout today or will that make it worse?

Replies

• trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    exercise*
  • DrewZombieZ
    DrewZombieZ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What exercise do you think it was that caused the soreness/possibly injury?
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    squats with weights. i think i was slouching
    What exercise do you think it was that caused the soreness/possibly injury?

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It could be the muscles in your lower back are sore from bring used in a way they're not used to. It could be a disc "slipped" out of your spine. Best way to know for sure is go to the doctor and get an MRI.

Did you feel a pop? Does the pain radiate down your leg? Any trouble peeing since this happened? Those are some of the questions my doc asked. My answers were no, and I hope yours are too.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Lower back injuries are most common, especially for anyone new or increasing their workout routines.

The general recommendation for anything lower back is to ease off and allow 5-7 days to heal.
    Alternate with hot/cold water. Drink fluids. Manage soreness with OTC anti-inflammatories. Check in with a medical professional if this persists.

Squatting is one of the more complex movements and more prone to injury. If possible I highly recommend getting a professional to check your form - especially in the beginning to minimize injury.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    This is something I would likely refer to as "tweaking" my back...basically a muscle strain which is a minor injury, but an injury none the less. I'd rest it...you don't want to mess with the back.

If I had to guess, you were probably squating and not hinging your hips (ie sitting back into a chair) and trying to go straight up and down which can cause you to be out of position and fall forward in the hole...ie you end up trying to lift with your back rather than your hips, quads, hammies, and glutes. It's a fairly common form flaw, particularly with people learning to squat with weight.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If the pain or soreness doesn't go away on its own in a few days after resting the affected body part and persists a for over a week or more, it's an injury and the longer it persists, the greater the injury, and the greater the injury, the more likely it will require treatment of some kind; the worst requiring surgery.

Been there, done that.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It is hard to tell. For comparison, my lower back is so tight after a back workout that makes it hard to move and such. After a back day, both sides of my back are equally tight but movement can be difficult.
    Having a slouchy back during exercise is not good as you already know.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you are hurt, you will know it. If you are unsure, give it a week or two to heal. FWIW, I am not a doctor.
  • DrewZombieZ
    DrewZombieZ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    squats with weights. i think i was slouching

You could have injured you back especially if you're not used to doing squats. Squats and deadlifts are 2 of my 3 heaviest lifts and it's easy to have bad form. Are you still sore?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    After new exercise you might experience soreness for a day or two (DOMS), but it's usually more of a dull ache and shouldn't be painful as such, if it doesn't subside after a day or two of rest, you may have pushed yourself too hard and caused yourself an injury. Definitely don't work out in the meantime if you're unsure and if it's still painful now after resting, see your doctor.