New 'heavy' girl

Options
Hi - my name is shelley. I just joined a few minutes ago. I am very excited to find this site . . . I have a lot of weight to lose and honestly just wanted a place to track my progress easily.

I am not sure how well I will fit in though. I just wrote my About Me section, and it comes across pretty heavy (no pun intended) compared to some of the other member's profiles that I have seen. Oh well - it was therapeutic for me to write!!!

Replies

• shelleyc
    Options
    Hi - my name is shelley. I just joined a few minutes ago. I am very excited to find this site . . . I have a lot of weight to lose and honestly just wanted a place to track my progress easily.

I am not sure how well I will fit in though. I just wrote my About Me section, and it comes across pretty heavy (no pun intended) compared to some of the other member's profiles that I have seen. Oh well - it was therapeutic for me to write!!!
  • alaskagal
    Options
    Hey Welcome!

I hope you'll find this site useful. Lots of great people here to offer support and motivation.

Good luck

:flowerforyou:
  • shelleyc
    Options
    Thanks!
  • jennygabe
    Options
    Hey Shelley,

You are not the only 'heavy' gal around here:wink: , there are plenty more of us that have a significant amount of weight to loose. Welcome to the site:flowerforyou: , I have had great success since joining and I am sure that you will too.
  • skiski
    skiski Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: welcome on board !
  • tekrueger
    Options
    You are here so maybe this means you ARE in the RIGHT place :happy:
    Great job on finding a doctor that supports you and is helping you through the medical issues.
    In any case, I think this is a great tool. The motivational support and help on everything weight and fitness related is great...I hope you find it so.
    Give it, and yourself a chance, and, as many have said, we didn't gain wait or build up inappropriate eating and lifestyle habits overnight and the solutions won't be obtained overnight either!
    By the way, thanks for sharing your story. I was WAY big as a teenager and that caused me A LOT of problems.... don't worry, you fit in as we are all dealing with a range of problem that aren't only being too heavy weight wise. :flowerforyou:
    Thomas
  • lorelai63
    lorelai63 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Welcome Shelly, Congratulations on never saying never! It can happen..
  • kat1000000
    kat1000000 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey neighbor, i'm in springdale! You can do this, if i can do it you can! I certainly relate to the growing up in a southern family and eating at all occasions! If you need someone to talk to i'm here for you. I can be very motivational when i need to be. I am very determined to do this, i also have alot to lose. Good luck and don't hesitate to give me a yell if you need some support/help.

kat
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hi Shelley!

Welcome to your new lifestyle!!! It's gonna be GREAT!! You will feel better than ever and view everything around you differently and just be happier.

I too have and had a lot of weight to lose. It can be very daunting and seem like it will take forever. But, just start and before you know it the losses are going to add up and by summer, it is going to be significant. I have lost 63 lbs since Sept 4, 2007 and have another 72 to lose to get to my goal. Trust me, if I can do this, so can you! I thought even getting below 200 was going to take forever. I mean I started at 270! But, as of this mornings weigh-in, I was 207 (lost 2 lbs this week). Inching closer and closer!

Best of luck! Let me know if you need anything!
    Tami
  • c-grandma
    Options
    This is a great site for keeping track of your diet. Welcome to a new lifestyle! It works, for sure. I have improved my health, frame of mind, and am happier because I feel better. Be kind to yourself and take care of YOU! Chris.:flowerforyou:
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This site has been a life saver for me. Hope you can reach your goals using the tools here!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    No worries Shelley,
    We are glad to have you here. It is a great time to start in my opinion. The weather is getting nicer and it makes you want to feel good and take advantage of it. You can do this.

We are all coming togethor from different places and meeting to make one goal. Feeling better and losing some weight.

:flowerforyou:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck to you!!! You are definitely not alone on this journey!
  • shelleyc
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all so very much for all of the encouragement! I had no idea that I would get to meet such great people when I joined. It IS going to be great!

I am amazed at how just writing your food down brings a new level of responsibility of what you put into your body. It also educates you on how to do better the next day. I love that this site lets you enter your foods. It starts where you are and within your budget to start making changes by allowing you to choose where the changes will be, rather than dictating your foods. It educates you and allows you to make your choices - hey, I am all about Choice Theory. I can see this working for my oppositional self! Hey, I can SEE it working - that is 1/2 the battle, after all, where there is no vision .....

I am looking forward to getting to know you all better on my journey to better health. Again, thank you for the wonderful, encouraging words.
  • momathome
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. This is a fun site