Best time to weigh in?

What time of day is the best to check your weight? And should I go off of the first numbers that lock in? I weigh myself 3 times and go with the 2 out of 3. The second and third time are always the same but never the 1st.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,371 Member
    Best time for me, and possibly most, is first thing in the morning after waking up and after going to the toilet.

You can take any number you choose, I tend to only weigh the once. If you are weighing daily its not that big a difference as weight fluctuates daily anyway. When weighing daily, its the long term trend that is important and daily weight is up and down. You could weigh daily but only 'formally' note a weekly weight on the same day of the week.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Lately, it's been discouraging weighing every day because when I see those daily fluctuations, I either feel elated or depressed. I should NOT(and maybe I'm learning a little bit)base everything on that .5 lb. I might've gained or lost. :/ But I get curious. :blush:
    Ideally, I'd limit weighing in to 1-2 a week, after using the bathroom, naked, and 1st thing in the a.m. But it really doesn't matter as long as you do it the same every week to stay the most consistent.
    I find I have to weigh 3-4 times to find 2 weights the same, also.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I’m also a daily weigher. I don’t keep my scale in the bathroom, so I get up, go use the bathroom, weigh myself on the way back to my bedroom, then get dressed and start my day.

@ReenieHJ I used to be just like that, but I started using a trend weight app and it’s been very helpful to me. It basically calculates and evens out those fluctuations to give you a rolling average weight and then makes predictions based on your current trend. It allows me to take the emotion out of my fluctuations and focus more on why they happen so I understand my body better. I use Happy Scale (I have an iPhone), I don’t know if it’s available on Android but I’m sure there are other similar options. sffuvmkl9h4g.jpeg

In the picture is a snippet of my 30-day graph with blue dots as individual weigh-ins, the thick blue line as the trend line and the orange line as the prediction.
  • ReenieHJ
    Hipari, thanks for that. I only have a 12 yo flip phone. :blush: Is there anything similar I can do online? I'm embarrassed to ask this question because it just shows how technologically inept I am.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    @ReenieHJ I’m bored enough to google this for you - the only useful-looking online tool I found was https://trendweight.com/, which I have zero experience with but looks functional. Apparently you do need a Withings scale or a Fitbit account to use it, but I believe a Fitbit account can be created even without a Fitbit device. That might create an extra hassle especially if you aren’t feeling very confident technologically, so a simple Excel spreadsheet with graphs might work better. In that case, you’d need someone to do the math formulas - I could help with setting up the basics but fancy algorithms or predictions are beyond my skill level.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    For consistency purposes, morning after the bathroom is usually best. While you will still have daily fluctuations, it will be somewhat more controlled than weighing later in the day, when your weight will be more influenced by the things you ate during the day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,143 Member
    Trendweight. com (free Fitbit account can report weight both there and mfp),

weightgrapher.com (tell it you want to maintain so it shuts up with the advice)

Libra Android. Happy scale iPhone
  • ReenieHJ
    Thanks Hipari. :) Will check that out. I appreciate you doing the google thing; wouldn't have even known what to enter and search for. :blush: Sometimes my mind just shuts down when I hit a stall.
    I think I was born in the wrong century. :(
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I weigh myself 3-7x per week in the morning after the bathroom then I use a trend weight app to sort through the fluctuations.
  • Bluejay61
    Bluejay61 Posts: 28 Member
    I weigh every morning, no clothes, before I eat or drink anything, and after first "major" bathroom visit of the morning, IYKWIM. :smile: That way, I get a truer number.