Water making me gain weight???

Options
So starting monday I have been upping my water weight to making sure I drink nearly 100oz a day I feel great apart from peeing all the time I have started to get a thirst for water great right (all I used to drink all day was 2 cups of coffee and 1-2 glasses of water i never felt thirsty) I'm currently following weight watchers come to weigh this morning and I have gained nearly 5lbs I have been so good all week tracked everything and even had points to spare!! Why have I gained so much is it from upping my water? Will it go i thought drinking water helps you loose weight I'm at a loss.....

Replies

• emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Have you started any new exercise?
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    You know how much that 100oz weighs in the bottle, it will weigh the same once it’s inside you. Of course a lot of it comes out the other end, but still.

I don’t know anything about you and I’m not a doctor, but there’s a possibility that with such a small amount of drinks previously you were simply dehydrated and your body has just hydrated itself to the point where at least some of those +5lbs are just being hydrated and a new ”normal”. Luckily, that has nothing to do with fat gain and you should see the numbers starting to come down soon if you are tracking accurately and eating at a deficit.
  • Siobhan256
    Siobhan256 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I drink around 3-4 litres (100-135oz) per day. I’ve done it for ages. First one before 7am when I train, second by lunch, third in the afternoon and last one in the evening. Carbs & sodium will see me hold fluid and the only way to flush, give it time and drink water to flush! If I’ve been away from routine and I’m not drinking much, when I step back in, I find I retain fluid for a while, then routine sets back in. I also find weight training makes my muscles hold a lot of fluid. I’m aware of this now and don’t freek our after a big weights session because the scale jumped up. I don’t train legs of Friday’s because my jeans will feel too tight!!