Night out

Options
pookey26
pookey26 Posts: 42 Member
So how do you deal with night outs?
I recently started my journey again and have been within my calorie goal, but tonight I'm out and the meal is build your own burger, plus I would like a couple of gins, I promised myself I'd log everything, but I struggle when I see the numbers and I'm over my calorie intake and feel like I've failed!
This time round I want to be honest but I'm finding it hard facing it.... I guess this is my problem lol and why I'm here.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I always figure out what I'm eating ahead of time. (A lot of places put their menu and calorie counts online.) Given my food restrictions, I know that the places I can go will give me enough food for two, maybe three meals. I order and eat planning to have the rest later. It's why at Mexican restaurants I always get fajitas; once I've had two little wraps, I know that tomorrow and the following day I can wrap the remainder up in a large tortilla, heat it up, and enjoy for lunch with chips. We're going out for barbecue tonight, and something similar is happening.

It is not the end of the world if you go over, I know it stings to see the numbers in the red. Mine are sometimes because I refuse to not put that 15 calories of whipped cream on my hot chocolate just because it would put me over by four calories.

What I would tell you to do is to try to make the best decisions you can when you're out. Share things with the table so you can have a taste. Eat vegetables and salads, not deep-fried stuff. Cut it in half and eat the other half tomorrow. Have one drink, enjoy it, follow with a water, and let yourself decide later if you really want the calories in that other drink, or if the one drink actually did satisfy your urge to taste that night. And view each time as a learning experience. You'll learn more about yourself and what you are able to do as you go.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Just go out and enjoy yourself! Put the diet on hold for 1 evening! Your diet is a lifelong commitment and you have to make it flexible enough to follow! You have made a big commitment in joining the app here! If your looking for more friends feel free to send me a request.

April🤗
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    pookey26 wrote: »
    Thank you, I just need to switch my mindset a little you just reminded its not what you do between Christmas and New year but what you do between New year and Christmas! I've had my night out was mindful with my choices but ate and drank what I wanted.
    Got up this morning and just carrying on with tracking and making rise decisions x

Yeh that. :)
    And getting right back to it is the answer. :)
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    What ever you do, don't put your life on hold during the weight loss journey. Going out, enjoying yourself and learning how to fit that into your fitness goals is an important lesson - one that you will use a lot during the rest of your weight loss journey and maintenance. As April said above, this is a lifelong commitment.
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I eat less during the week so we can do a cheat meal on Sunday.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't log nights out. It makes it hard to have a good time. I'm just over a year into my logging. I lost 20 pounds and put 5 back on, and I'm maintaining there.

I was such a party pooper going to parties and restaurants with friends trying to log exactly what I was eating. I learned that I CAN TOTALLY skip logging once a month, or once every other month, and be fine. Once a week would be different - quite inadvisable! Those calories would add up so quickly they would replace your deficit.