For the over 50 crowd, special nutrition concerns.

Options
For those of us over 50, we are starting to feel the effects of old injuries, illnesses, and just old age. What are your takes on how to live a great active healthy life after 50?? For example, I have found that I get dehydrated much easier than in the past. I counter that by being extra vigilant with water intake while cycling. How about you??

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and I weight train but know my limits, especially with an aching shoulder injury from my 30s. I also eat more protein now than I ever did. drinking enough water is essential and so is eating enough fiber.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I get injured more easily and it takes me longer to recover, so I try to be extra vigilant about listening to my body and pacing myself.

Sleep and functioning on inadequate sleep has gotten more difficult, so I work very hard at my sleep hygiene.

Nutrition wise (possibly) I drink alcohol WAY less than I used to.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and way past living a great, active, healthy life. Genetics plays a huge role. I'm just trying to keep ahead of total ruin.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm 64. I find myself a slight bit less resilient than when I was younger, so need to program variation in physical stresses more thoughtfully, allowing for stress-specific recovery, and avoiding "stacking" diverse stresses in short time windows (extreme activity/exercise, under-nutriiton, under-sleep, under-recovery, calorie deficit, etc.).

Some (limited, only thinly replicated) reseach hints that we might benefit from spreading our protein through the day as we age. As a practice, I try to generalize that to the idea that it would be optimal for me to spread well-rounded nutrition through my day, though I know that generically (across all ages/situations) nutrient timing is of trivial import. I look at it (and some other unmentioned stuff) as a bet-hedge. Why not do it? It's easy.