tell me it’s ok to have a cheat meal without feeling guilty

Options

Replies

• thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If I want a higher calorie meal I eat a light lunch and breakfast and save about 1,000 calories for dinner about 200 for breakfast and 300 for lunch. 200 for snack. But if it was me I'd get the pizza or wings. Tonight I spent 900 calories on dinner but didnt go over due to eating light all day!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Binges happen. Your brain is telling you (pretty loudly) that it wants a break. Better to listen to it than to fight it. Powerful hormones and neurotransmitters are demanding a time-out, and the tiny inhibition center in your 3mm thick neocortex cannot win that battle. So go enjoy your pizza and wings. Then get up tomorrow and weigh in, eat right, log everything, and work out. It's what happens the day after the binge that matters.
  • adoucet15
    adoucet15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is 100% okay. Thanks for sharing. I too have been dealing with the same issues. But like nost have already said, fitness is about a lifestyle and mindset change.

Are you making smart/healthy food decisions 7-8-9 out of 10 times?

If so than a cheat/treat meal is okay. We have to learn not to be so hard on ourselves.

P.S. pizza is too good to avoid for long periods of time.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Ever since I first read this post, I've been wanting to buy a pint of Ben and Jerry's. :blush: But I know what will happen if I indulge in ice cream. :(
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Ever since I first read this post, I've been wanting to buy a pint of Ben and Jerry's. :blush: But I know what will happen if I indulge in ice cream. :(

I know it's not Ben & Jerry's, but Enlightened Ice Cream is a pretty good lower calorie option. I love the Salted Caramel. The whole pint is 320 calories. (yes, I ate THE WHOLE PINT as a treat the other day) ;)
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's ever ok to feel guilty. About anything. Guilt is a worthless and negative emotion.
    It's much healthier to feel regret, then move on. Regret is somewhat more positive and it jelps you to not repeat what causes it.
    Guilt just drains you.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Totally fine to eat the pizza. As others have said, you are changing your eating habits, but this is a life long change. So how will you fit pizza into your overall diet?

Many people find it stressful to eat “perfectly” (however they define it) and eventually they crack, leading to a binge. If that seems like how you’re looking at things, maybe reconsider how to incorporate your favorite higher calorie foods.

My personal strategy is eat a big salad and 1-2 pieces of pizza. I get pizza, I get full, but I haven’t eaten 5 pieces and a big cheesy bread. And I generally (physically) feel better later....too much cheese and grease wreak havoc on my insides.

Maybe save the wings for another night, when you can pair them with some high volume veggies or something to help fill you up without a big additional calorie hit?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    basically i’m craving a dominoes and if i don’t have a thing i’m craving for the most part i eat a lot until i get it. but my plan is to get a small pizza instead of a bigger one they i normally get and then chicken wings.

that including other food the total is like 1,500 calories. and i plan to do a workout dvd as i wait for the food to arrive because it’s fun and i might as well burn off some calories and then go to the gym as normal later

i know this isn’t a healthy mindset but what can i do to not feel guilty about eating a fatty meal like that?

Formally, when I was premenstrual, I used to crave a 1200 or so calorie pint of Ben & Jerry's, and eat a whole one in a day, and maybe another one the next day. I eventually realized I just need a few hundred more calories at this time, and if I just ate a little more of regular food, that would do the trick.

Sadly, I am not able to moderate any Ben & Jerry's but the 1 C cups, which do not come in my favorite flavors.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Here's my concern (for me) about cheat meals. Am I having one cheat meal or am I slipping overall and this is simply a sign of it? If it's the first, it all depends on the level. Does it simply mean I'm not at as big of a deficit for today? Maybe it just takes me to maintenance (so today I'm simply breaking even). And even if above maintenance, its probably small in the grant scheme of things. Remember, it takes 3500 calories OVER MAINTENANCE to gain one pound. So again, is this one cheat meal or the beginning of a pattern.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Here's my concern (for me) about cheat meals. Am I having one cheat meal or am I slipping overall and this is simply a sign of it? If it's the first, it all depends on the level. Does it simply mean I'm not at as big of a deficit for today? Maybe it just takes me to maintenance (so today I'm simply breaking even). And even if above maintenance, its probably small in the grant scheme of things. Remember, it takes 3500 calories OVER MAINTENANCE to gain one pound. So again, is this one cheat meal or the beginning of a pattern.

Yep! This is my biggest fear when my mind starts going to that place of treating myself which is why I try to avoid it. :/ But if you're not that person, then a treat is fine, should be included and enjoyed. I just know me and how easily I succumb to temptation. That's why as tempted as I am to buy a pint of ice cream(Halo's or otherwise) I can see myself falling off track so easily. What can I say, I'm pathetically weak. :blush: It took me a lot of self-talk and time to climb back out of the over eating I did during the holidays.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    most times I plan a cheat meal, and I include my exercise in my calories, I enter it and I barely go over
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Denying yourself will create a degree of angst or unhappiness which will negatively affect your efforts. If you avoid deviating from everything else you do, then have the meal, enjoy it then move on.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Free yourself. Self-induced food prisons contain words like cheat, cringe, guilt, regret. Assigning moral judgments to food is the process that leads to self-recrimination. Food rules and regulations are not food freedom but a self-induced food prison.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    The IDEAL way to sustain a decent weight and lifestyle is to be able to eat what you want. JUST DON'T GO OVERBOARD. Anyone can lose weight on ANY DIET PLAN if they follow it. Problem is most people diet just to lose weight and don't WANT TO STAY ON THAT PROGRAM once they meet their goals. Meet your goal by just learning how much you need to eat each day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png