Exercise/burning calories question

Options
I have a recumbent bike, which records my calories burned. When I compare this amount to what is in the data base here, the data base here gives a higher burn than my bike's program says. Which is more accurate? or maybe I should average the two?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I would use the lower of the two.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I too would stick with the lower of the two and then use your own data after a period of time to determine accuracy by comparing actual weight loss with predicted weight loss, keeping in mind that you need to burn about 3,500 calories to lose 1 pound of fat.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,792 Member
    Options
    my Recumbent bikes calorie burned reading is actually really close to my fitbit, I'd go with that. I burn between 5 and 7 calories a minute on it depending how hard I push
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I too have a recumbent bike that reports calories lower than the MFP figure. The machine reports around 7.5 per minute and MFP grants me 8.2. I count it as 6 per minute, i.e. 360 for an hour, and enter it manually. Definitely think MFP exercise calorie estimates are too high.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    No data given that could guide you towards knowing which is more accurate.

But at least the bike is likely to be proportionate to your effort even if not accurate.
    The database is using a generalised METS estimate for your weight but knows nothing of the effort you put in or your fitness level compared to average people your size. And your size is a dreadful guide to calorie burns for a non-weight bearing exercise!

Not much benefit other people telling you their assumed burns - what if a pro cyclist comes along and tells you they can burn over 1,400 cal in an hour? What if someone who barely uses any effort comes along and says they burn 200 cals? (Either of those estimates could be true, either could be the result of using a poor estimating method.)

Does it help you that my minimal recovery effort level on a bike is 360 cals/hr or my highest net cal burns are about 720 cals/hr when I don't know anything about you (and your workout) and you don't know anything about me (and my workouts)?
  • MyrnaSolganick
    MyrnaSolganick Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi, Folks. I went back and checked the calories my recumbent bike says I am burning, and it is actually MORE than MFP says for the same amount of time...which figure should I use in logging my exercise??