Hiatus Hernia diet

Options
Hello everyone
Quick background... Since March last year (2019)i have been using Mfp to track all my foods & jogging (c25k)
I used to get occasional reflux but this was always treated with gaviscon no problems.
I lost 2 stone from 14st 10 to 12st 7
In July I was diagnosed severe b12 deficiency and started 12weekly injections
August I had an attack that felt like heart attack & I was rushed by paramedics to A&E
Not a heart attack they said it must have been anxiety attack. I was sent home with painkillers
That happened a further 4 times. Ct scans say my heart is fine. Dr asked if I get reflux & put me on omeprazole but changed me to lansoprazole after a month. This caused abdominal pain so I was put on ranitidine until I had appointment for endoscopy. 2wks no meds reflux back!
Had procedure yesterday and a sliding hiatus hernia was found.
The clinic gave me a leaflet & sent me home.

I have joined a fb group & have found out that the hernia is the likely cause of the chest pain however this all started after I had lost weight.

I have been told to find out my trigger foods & to follow a low acid diet.

Is there anyone here that can give me a tips or starting points?
I still have another 2 St that I want to lose so am sticking with Mfp but still want to have flavoursome food... I've been told not to have garlic that in itself will be very difficult for me & no spices!
Am I going to stuck with plain chicken Fillet & potato for the rest of my life? Lol
Grateful for any tips xx

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Are you able to see a registered dietitian who could help you figure out an elimination diet that works for your other medical conditions? Since you have several medical concerns, it's probably worthwhile to speak with an RD who can make sure that all of your dietary needs are being met.
  • Chris144mph
    Chris144mph Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My experience is that acid reflux has some standard triggers, yet everyone is different. I'm not sure if the hernia makes a difference, though.

My GERD is very severe. I was only a couple of pounds overweight when it started, so unlike a lot of people, losing weight was not expected (and hasn't) made a difference. I take Dexilant, which is the only PPI that gives me some relief. I'm in the US and my insurance doesn't cover it, so it costs $200/month. Worth it to be able to eat, but tough on our finances.

So, to start, I tried eliminating all of the standard triggers. I may leave some out here because I am working from memory.

Caffeine
    Coffee (even decaf)
    Chocolate
    Carbonated beverages
    Alcohol
    Fried foods
    Saturated fats
    Onions and garlic
    Tomatoes
    Citrus
    Spicy food

That had only minor improvements. So, I tried a full elimination diet, starting with one food (brown rice) and adding a new food every few days. I will be honest, this was brutal.

I also stopped eating 3 hours before bed and got a wedge to sleep on. Plus keeping all meals small, although as time passed I have been able to eat a more normal size meal.

From the above list, I find I can eat chocolate (yay) and onions and garlic when they are cooked (but not raw). I no longer eat any of the others, except occasionally slightly spicy foods which may or may not trigger heartburn. I do eat a little saturated fat because it is hard to completely avoid, but I usually have less than half my MFP goal.

I also found that raw (but not cooked) bell peppers are a trigger and cucumber. Plus several random foods, like soy milk, black pepper (tough to avoid), and bok choy (which I love). Also lactose, but I already knew that one from before GERD.

One thing I found out accidentally is that eating sitting at a table really helps (no more snacking or eating on the sofa).

Good luck finding your triggers. I hope my experience is at least a little helpful.

I've told hubby & son today that there will be no meals on the sofa anymore. So far I've learned that one coffee is my limit of caffeine (I can manage decaf after that) and but I had a salad for dinner with a little red onion a couple of Slices each cucumber, dill Pickle & tomato and I took a rennie tablet & although I had pain from my clavicle that could have been from my bag across my shoulder(I have acj arthritis) on the whole it's been alright just aching still from endoscopy.

It's going to be a long road isn't it, finding triggers?
    😢
  • Chris144mph
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Are you able to see a registered dietitian who could help you figure out an elimination diet that works for your other medical conditions? Since you have several medical concerns, it's probably worthwhile to speak with an RD who can make sure that all of your dietary needs are being met.

Have found an Rd in the next town so shall be booking in ASAP! £100 an hour but I think will definitely be worth it.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    I have a hiatal hernia too that gives me mild GERD on occasion.

The worse triggers for me are: alcohol, chocolate and heavy sweets deserts, raw onions, and garlic in anyway or form, sodas, tomato sauces, foods high in saturated fat, gravies or heavy sauces. I can eat raw tomatoes and all kind of vegetables or salads.

On occasion a glass of wine is fine, but I may need to take a Zantac before going to bed. Caffeine, citrus and tomatoes don't bother me much. Soda or carbonated drinks, including champagne, I can only drink once in awhile and in small quantity..

As a rule, I finish my diner including desert, between 7:30 and 8 PM and I don't go to bed until almost midnight sometimes. My husband and I always eat our meal seating at the table.

I hope that you find something that helps you, and a diet that you may follow. I am not in any medication except for the Zantac, taken as needed (PRN).
  • Chris144mph
    Options
    Thanks to all that replied
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book the acid watchers diet. It is really good a d there are tones of food you can still enjoy. I've been doing it for 2 weeks and its had a very big impact on fixing my reflux.
  • Chris144mph
    Options
    I've heard of that, will have to get a copy.im aware diet makes a difference but I worry that I'll end up having to prepare different meals for the whole family though.
    Saying that I did cook a turkey saag that I added baking soda to & didn't have reflux after!
    Dr has changed me back to omeprazole but twice a day now so I'm hoping it will help too.
  • sportygal1971
    sportygal1971 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Things that give me acid
    My hernia, exercise on empty stomach, coffee if empty stomach, eating dinner too close to bedtime, poor posture...
    I have sometimes found junk food doesn't irritate it, but I ate watermelon and yikes. WTF?
    I don't want to eat junk, but the hernia is a ticking time bomb and no one food seems to be way different than the other.
    HELP!