Blood Pressure

Options
Hey,

Does anyone here monitor their blood pressure as part of their overall health?

I do as my doctor wants me to as a way of monitoring things. For those of us who consider ourselves overweight it is a recommended course of action.

Thoughts?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's worthwhile finding out if it is something that you personally should monitor and then take it from there.
    Overweight doesn't automatically mean high BP. My Mum's BP was too low despite being overweight.

I did a little experiment when I retired and saw my (not very high anyway) blood pressure drop over a period of a few weeks due to less stress from work and commuting.

As I don't have a BP problem it's not something I need to really concern myself with so it's more out of curiosity. What I do find is that my first thing in the morning at home reading is far more consistent than in a surgery setting when other factors might skew the numbers (eating, caffeine, exercising, stress etc.).
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,161 Member
    Options
    I don't really monitor it regularly, since I've never had high blood pressure issues. (Well, unless I'm at the doctor's, serious white coat syndrome)

Coincidentally, I've checked mine a few times this week, after I felt light-headed when standing up, and it was actually low.

I don't think regular monitoring is necessary for all overweight people. It seems most relevant for people with (suspected) high or low BP issues.
    But as a data geek, I can see how it could be interesting. If I had monitored it regularly, I would be able to determine if exercising regularly has actually lowered my BP or not.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Losing weight has brought my blood pressure down from slightly high to normal. I check it about once a month. Getting fitter has hugely brought down my resting heart rate but I have no idea if it has affected blood pressure at all. I suspect not, since if a bit of weight creeps on the blood pressure creeps up but my fitness level is constant or improving.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I also have white coat syndrome (high blood pressure and fast pulse in the presence of medical professionals). I have my own BP monitor so I can take measurements for about a week before appointments to prove, once again, that my blood pressure is perfectly normal and I do not need medications.

Obviously, monitoring yourself is also helpful for anyone who has high (or low) blood pressure.

I don't think it would make sense for anyone with normal BP.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,001 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    average bp at start of WLJ on 2 pills: 135-145 / 85-90
    average bp since losing 90 plus lbs on 1 pill: 105-113 / 65-72
    I exercise every day.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My doctor had me on pills. When I started my MFP weight loss and exercise plan, I started monitoring it once a week on the machine at the grocery store. I watched it drop drastically as I lost weight. Monitoring was so I'd have a record when I went back to the doctor in December to try to convince him to take me off meds, which he did. I go back next week for BP and blood work to see if I can stay off the meds.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I monitor daily. I got one of those Omron cuffs that syncs to your phone over Bluetooth and makes nice graphs in my phone app. I had not had high blood pressure until I was pregnant and developed preeclampsia. My bp did come down some after my baby was born, but not enough, and I was put on meds (the lowest dose). I do have a family history of hypertension, both parents developed it in their 30s despite being normal weight. This was all while I was still in the "normal" though higher-end of weight range for my height. However, in 2019 I lost 30 lbs with myfitnesspal to be on the lower end of healthy weight range back to my college weight, started walking around 10k steps daily and eating more fiber. By around August I was off my blood pressure meds entirely - not sure which part helped the most, the walking, weight loss, or the fiber but probably all of the above. But I still monitor daily - I know that as I age, I probably will need some prescription help again even if I keep up my healthy habits simply due to family and personal history.

All that to say:
    1. If you or a loved one is pregnant, monitor periodically throughout your pregnancy. I had no noticeable symptoms and felt great, they don't know why preeclampsia happens, and it is a top maternal killer. High bp is usually the first sign - my doctor caught it at a regular prenatal checkup and probably saved the lives of both me and my son.
    2. Depending on your history you might want to monitor periodically no matter if you are in healthy weight range or not. Hypertension runs in families in addition to lifestyle factors.
    3. Of course, listen to your doctor above all else!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I do as my doctor wants me to as a way of monitoring things. For those of us who consider ourselves overweight it is a recommended course of action.

Thoughts?

I imagine lots of people here monitor their bp. I am recently off my bp med so I am back to monitoring mine more regularly. I will drop to once a week again soon.

It is not a bad idea for anyone carrying too much weight or people with a history of heart disease in their family.

There are still places where you can get it checked for free.

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I monitor my blood pressure because I have low blood pressure, which causes me to faint. I've had it when I was at a normal weight and I still have now that I am overweight. Weight hasn't affected my blood pressure in anyway. I try to check it weekly to make sure that things are staying level, but I do not check it while working out. What I do is make sure I get plenty of sodium in my diet and drink plenty of water. As long as I eat plenty of salt and stay hydrated, I do just fine with working out and with regular life things.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Thoughts?

I monitor it almost every day. My attempt to lose weight started because I developed high blood pressure. I'm on meds, but I also lost weight (from obese to overweight to normal BMI), so I'm hoping I can be off my meds eventually.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Yep. At home. My Dr. told me when I was still in my teens that I should check it at least once a year because of family history. When I was about 50, Dr. told me to take it once a week because of family history. It was 105/69 tonight.
  • sjlsjll
    sjlsjll Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, I monitor it most days. I started bp meds in June but stopped in December once I started feeling a bit more fit. My bp was in the "dangerous - very high" range in June. With meds it came down to the high range (140/95 ish) by Sept. So far it has stayed there for a month since I stopped the meds. I am hoping with continued weight loss and healthy eating it will not only stay in this range but go down further since it is still too high.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I also have white coat syndrome (high blood pressure and fast pulse in the presence of medical professionals). I have my own BP monitor so I can take measurements for about a week before appointments to prove, once again, that my blood pressure is perfectly normal and I do not need medications.

Obviously, monitoring yourself is also helpful for anyone who has high (or low) blood pressure.

I don't think it would make sense for anyone with normal BP.

White coat issue....have to get own machine.