HRM Question

Options
Hello,

I currently do not use a HRM as I rely on the calorie count on the gym cardio equipment I use. I am considering getting a HRM but am concerned on a few things. When I'm on the treadmill I walk at 3.5 mph with an incline of 12-15 depending on the day. The treadmill shows that as a 944 calorie burn per hour where with out the incline it's only in the 300 range.

So my question is: How does the HRM track the calories burned is it just by heart rate or is there something else that plays in to it? Seems like calculating on hear rate only wouldn't take in to consideration that some muscle groups burn more when used.

Thanks.

Replies

• msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I just got mine...your heart rate, age, weight, sex
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    The more muscles you engage, the higher your heart rate.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The HRM is significantly more accurate than the machine. The HRM takes into account many more personal factors such as age, weight, gender, some use VO2 also. Those factors, combined with your acutal HR, allow it to compute an algorithm to determine your cals burned. Your HR changes based on the work your body is doing - more work, higher HR. I run on the treadmill for 3 miles adn my cals burned is around 400. I do the same run outside (with hills and such), and my cals burned is in the 6-800 range depending on my speed that night.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Yup, I just did 25mins on the rower, intervals, getting my heart rate up then down then up etc.

At my fastest row my heart rate reached the same level as during four push-ups.

Obviously time is a factor, but I didn't realise (hadn't noticed) how my heart rate increased with just one push-up. Never considered that as "upping my heart rate" before. Liek many, guess I thought it was cardio or nothing lol
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have had my Polar FT60 for 9 months and I can't imagine doing a work-out not engaging it. I actually get aggravated when I think it is set but isn't. When I use a machine of any kind, the calorie burn based on the machine is always way lower than my HRM. You program your HRM with age, weight, height and gender so it has that to work with along with your HR when you exercise. I have a difference in what I burn based on the machine, or if it is a walk around our neighborhood, swimming or even on my bike.
    I think it is a worth while investment!
  • The HRM is significantly more accurate than the machine. The HRM takes into account many more personal factors such as age, weight, gender, some use VO2 also. Those factors, combined with your acutal HR, allow it to compute an algorithm to determine your cals burned. Your HR changes based on the work your body is doing - more work, higher HR. I run on the treadmill for 3 miles adn my cals burned is around 400. I do the same run outside (with hills and such), and my cals burned is in the 6-800 range depending on my speed that night.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Try to maximize my calorie consumption when I'm doing the cardio and I wanted to make sure that the incline and added resistance would be reflected in the results.

Thanks for the comments all.