Exercise.

Options
What kind of exercises would you recommend to start with?
I have a back problem so can't do anything to....'bendy' lol!!

I haven't exercised in a while either :S

<3

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor or whoever you're working with on your back issues and find out what they would recommend and what they would have you avoid. Better to be safe than sorry!!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I would think swimming would be ok. It's pretty low impact and shouldn't bother your back too much. I would totally talk with the doc though maybe they have some ideas too:smile:
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Walking possibly. And if you like music, then I would find a local zumba class. There are all shapes, age and sizes in my class - some move more than others but there's a level for everyone and nothing too bendy.
  • hipbonesthighgap
    Options
    I give up with doctors!!!!
    I'm going tomorrow because there is something wrong with my vitamin D.
    Don't know what until tomorrow though!!!!
  • hipbonesthighgap
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions :D

<3 xxxx
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back too.
    1) Walking - make sure you have good shoes though, so it doesn't cause further problems
    2) Pilates - which will strengthen your core muscles, which REALLY help your back (strongly recommended by my physical therapist)
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Start off walking for 30 min or however long you can go for then increase your time. Once you are comfortable with walking, add in incline to burn more calories and after awhile you can try the C25K program. ( walking/running)

Your doctor will be best to get some exercises for your back.
  • kmarsh10
    kmarsh10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would honestly start with walking. I walk 2x, try for 3x per day while at work (20min each). I take my breaks and walk. If you walk at a moderate to brisk pace and depending on your weight/height ... you can burn approx 250-300 calories per day. I have also started to incorporate workouts at the gym, but I still think the best way to start is walking. No matter where you are or what you are doing, you should be able to walk. I also park further when I drive places, I walk or ride my bike to closer places (CVS, grocery store, gym, etc.). This is all coming from someone who has donated $5/mo to 24 Hour Fitness for a membership I've had for the past 23 years and probably only worked out there for a total of 1 year, if that. So, my recommendaiton is that you start with a little and increase as you feel comfortable. I exercise more now, at 40, than I ever have. It feels great too!

Good luck!
  • tammymeee1
    Options
    i have had surgery, the first thing you want to work on is stability... use the kettlebell swing low in pack on back, and there istwo legged glute activation raises, ( lay on back pulse upward with pelvis) and flying dog, with right arm and left leg extensions, alternate with arm and legs. that will start to work your core and give you stability first and then once you increase those then you can start working on everything else.... start with low weight on the kettlebell swings if you can swing more then 30 with out feeling tired then its to light and do the swing 50 times to start... I hope that helps you...
  • bbpurple1967
    Options
    I am curious if they tell you that your Vit. D is low. Mine is and I need to take supplements. Add it to my to do list buy more vitamin D.
  • kmarsh10
    kmarsh10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! So interesting that you also brought up something something wrong with your vitamin D levels, because I was going to mention that with walking (outdoors), you also get your fix of vitamin D by exposure of the sun. Safe sun exposure is also proven to raise the levels of seratonin ion your body :) These are all things I learned AFTER I started walking. Its a win-win to walk!

http://sunshinevitamin.org/
    Vitamin D Comes From the Sun

Sunlight is the best and only natural source of vitamin D. Unlike dietary or supplementary vitamin D, when you get your ‘D’ from sunshine your body takes what it needs, and de-metabolizes any extra. That’s critical – as vitamin D experts and many health groups now advocate 1,000 to 2,000 IU of vitamin D daily – five to ten times the old recommendations. Because too much ‘D’ from dietary supplements may cause the body to over-process calcium, nobody really knows for sure how much supplementary vitamin D is safe. On the other hand, sunlight-induced vitamin D doesn’t have that problem – it’s the way your body is intended to make it!

http://www.nichetopics.info/ways-to-increase-serotonin-naturally.html
    6 Ways to Increase Seratonin Naturally
    Turkey, Dark Chocolare, Exercise, Sunlight, and 5-HTP

good luck! :smile:
  • hipbonesthighgap
    Options
    We'll see what happens tomorrow and we'll go from there :)

xxxx
  • tubby07
    Options
    i have lower back problems too and swimming is great x
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    We'll see what happens tomorrow and we'll go from there :)

xxxx

I think that's the best thing - tell your doctor you want to start exercising and ask him to recommend what would be best. That being said walking and swimming are excellent ideas.