Zumba???

Options
thinking i may take up Zumba. there is no classes around so i will have to do the dvds at home. thoughts anyone. is it really effective?

Replies

• I love the zumba classes at the gym but I don't really care for the dvd's. At the gym they use current, radio friendly songs and the dvd's use Latin music that I really just don't care for. But if you like that music you'll probably really like the dvd's.
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have done it a few times. It is fun and you will sweat! I don't do it in public though because I am completely uncoordinated.
  • karenxdixon
    karenxdixon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a great exercise, if you cant get to a class the dvds are pretty good but classes are better. I have been doing it for over a year and it has changed the shape of my body namely I have a waist and my abdomen is tighter, give it a go you will love it :smile:
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    it depends on your committment to zumba. it can be an 800-900 caloric burn in class. i'm not sure about the dvd's.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    I have done it a few times. It is fun and you will sweat! I don't do it in public though because I am completely uncoordinated.

I tried reg aerobics this am and found out I'm the single most uncoordinated human on the planet!! Leg moves I can do, arm moves I can do, trying to combine the 2 not so much. I almost fell over a few times!!

I'll stick to my running and weights ~ less chance of injury that way :p
  • maclynn62
    Options
    hi, love zumba, don't buy dvd's though, go onto you tube, there's loads on there and best of all there free
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    They offer zumba classes at my gym.. it's the same time though as my deep water running class :( I plan to give it a shot once i get into better shape...Zumba burns 600-700 calories per hour i think :)
  • slimmingdownsteph
    slimmingdownsteph Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Zumba is amazing! I recommend gym/club classes though... the DVDs I've tried aren't very effective and don't compare! :)
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba that's how I have lost all my weight so far. I have it for the Wii which is really good, but I prefer going to the classes at the rec center its soooooo much fun!!! You will definitely enjoy it, give it a try :)
  • lovinlife71
    Options
    VERY effective...VERY fun... and it makes me feel sexy (even though I am a sweaty mess)!
    Nicole
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I have the DVDs and like them. I've never done a class though so I can't compare.
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    VERY effective...VERY fun... and it makes me feel sexy (even though I am a sweaty mess)!
    Nicole
    [/quote

I'd agree with that - love the classes, although not sure I would put in as much effort at home. There is a game for the Wii too.]
  • barbiedollgirl
    barbiedollgirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love love love Zumba classes!! It is so much fun!! If you like to dance, you will love it. Not sure about the DVDs but I really dont like the Zumba on Wii.
  • wendybrian
    Options
    [/quote

I am with you on that. My mom goes to Zumba for seniors at the YMCA. LOL Someday I'll be with her. Let me take off a few maybe hundred pounds first. :)
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I love the zumba classes at the gym but I don't really care for the dvd's. At the gym they use current, radio friendly songs and the dvd's use Latin music that I really just don't care for. But if you like that music you'll probably really like the dvd's.

It makes me so sad to hear this because Zumba is supposed to be latin and international music. If the instructor is using mostly radio stuff, then it's not the Zumba we are taught when we are licensed.

Zumba can be much more fun in the class because of the atmosphere, energy from the participants and SOME inclusion of radio songs (but hopefully not an entire class of hip hop and stuff like that). But the dvd's can give you a great workout too.

Zumba Love!!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Depending on the instructor it can be great fun (I've been to one class which flew by and I loved and two which had me bored to tears 10 minutes in). Instructors don't have to be properly trained in dance, just do a short course. So be careful how you pick your class and if you don't enjoy it try to find another one

Depending on your fitness, I don't think it's all that effective though. Loads of fun and counts as a good workout but it's not intense. There's no way I could burn more than 300 calories in a class and that would be doing all the advanced options flat out for the whole hour.

If you're fairly new to exercise and not super fit I think it would be effective. If you're a very fit gym bunny who is used to spinning and circuit training it won't be effective for you.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the DVDs!!! For 14 months it was my only form of exercise and I lost 84 lbs so far. I am now running too but I still do my DVDs 2 days a week :)
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba at my gym and really prefer to be with the many other members who are just as uncoordinated as I am so we can laugh at ourselves!!

I love it and I bet you'll like being in a class better than doing it alone.
    My gym offers the classes to the public for a small fee per class so maybe a club near you might do that too.

And, oh yeah, you will sweat and burn baby!!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    LOVE zumba
    I have the dvd and the wii game and honestly I love the wii game more lol. My girls are 4years old and 6years old and the game has shadow people behind the main player and they pretend to be the shadow dancers and work out with me and makes it fun for them while I still get a great workout in :)
  • claw12345
    Options
    I do Zumba with the DVDs and its been great - I am uncoordinated, and I take some time to learn the moves. What I did was in the beginning I'd do only the sculpt and tone, and when I was confident enough with the moves and the sequences, I started doing Cardio Party. As I became comfortable with that as well, I started alternating, and now I've added the Abs bonus to the workout, so that I get a full one hour. Now I'm thinking of buying the next set of DVDs that they have. Personally, the only way I manage to do my workout is first thing in the morning. I find it best that you set a particular time and stick to it so that you are more determined to do it! Good luck, add me if you need more tips!