Longest plateau you've had?

Bluejay61
Bluejay61 Posts: 28 Member
edited January 2020 in Motivation and Support
Hello, all, and Happy Sunday!
Was chatting with a friend of mine about plateaus the other day, and I was wondering how long some of your plateaus have lasted? Not asking how to break mine, but might help lots of people on this board who are losing patience. 👍

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited January 2020
    Well, we don't know much about you...how you have your calories set, your goals, how much you want to lose.

Here, try this:

jgvus21xw680.jpg
  • Bluejay61
    I think that’s called maintenance 😉
    88olds wrote: »
    10 years.

• 3 months!!! Of strict calorie counting and weighing foods. :(
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I've only had gaining weight "plateaus" ,which lasted about two weeks. Basically when I don't adjust my intake to my new higher weight, or my NEAT outdoes my surplus so it's not really a plateau just me not eating enough. I do retain water when I start lifting or add volume which looks like a plateau for about two months but now I know it's really not.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Mine was about 8 weeks, pre Thanksgiving until after New Years. Not as flat as a plateau, more like an EKG up and down within a 5 pound range. First I stopped the upward spikes by hitting the gym more and finally started losing again.
    Best tip: replace snacks with water.
  • Bluejay61
    Great responses so far. Keep 'em coming!

@mydogisthebestdogever WOW, that IS a long time! Glad you rode it out to victory. Good things come to those who wait (and weigh). 👍

@sardelsa That's interesting. I have also noticed that when I do more strength training or climbing, I seem to "gain" weight due to muscles retaining water. Good to know that's common and nothing to worry about. 👍

@slade51 Bravo to you for riding it out over the holidays, of all times. Major temptations! Replacing snacks with water is a clever tip, and an easy one to do. I know that when I don't drink enough water, I THINK I'm hungry, but I'm really thirsty. 👍
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    10 months due to life stuff, meaning that I was not paying as much attention to myself.

Just broken through this month with a 4lb loss due to returning my focus to how many calories I am shoveling in my gob.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    No unexplained plateaus for any real period of time. A few weeks here and there but that’s normal due to fluctuations and what not.

When my weight hasn’t changed in a significant way for an extended period (months), it’s because I’m eating at maintenance (doesn’t matter what I’m logging). Sometimes it’s because I have other life priorities at the time, sometimes it’s on purpose, sometimes it’s just sloppy logging.

I’ve had several of those times. 2013, 2/3 of 2016, spring-mid summer 2019, a bunch of others.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I've had a lot of spiky slopes or (in maintenance) spiky but on average level weight, but no plateaus when I thought I should be losing based on behavior. (I'm not saying I disbelieve that others do have them; I'm just reporting personal experience as OP asked.)
  • aimjolie
    aimjolie Posts: 60 Member
    My plateaus last about 2 weeks even when I am watching carefully and doing everything right. I have learned that during these plateaus to not get discouraged. After these plateaus i might see a 2 to 4 lb lost. I know it’s difficult not to get discouraged because I have gotten discouraged many times. Now I am thinking maybe these plateaus are just my body adjusting to a new weight.
  • Bluejay61
    @manderson27 You made me laugh with the "gob" remark. Glad you're back on track!

@Duck_Puddle Yep, sloppy logging is often to blame. I've just gone through my logging and found some issues I need to correct myself.

@AnnPT77 You're lucky! Some people have them, some just don't. Everyone's different.

@aimjolie Yep, it's just an adjustment period. And if you're seeing a loss of 2 to 4 pounds after, that gives me (and everyone) hope. :smile:

Keep 'em coming! You're motivating me!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    When losing I stalled from right before May until the end of it, it was a frustrating month! I dropped 5lbs all at once when the scale finally moved.
  • cindyscott4834
    cindyscott4834 Posts: 1 Member
    Mine was about 2 months it was so frustrating!
    I was counting everything too.
    Calories ,carbs and fat.
    I was staying active as well.
    But when it started coming off I lost like 5-7 lbs all at once.
    Stay strong!
    We can do it!
    ( I think, I hope)😊
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    10 days is my 'record', right after the holidays. Not very long, but very frustrating because I was very hungry as well, so it felt like everything was going wrong, even though I was reaching my calorie goal.

But since I knew I was doing what I should, I knew I should trust the system and I ended up having a 'whoosh' after those 10 days.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    5 weeks. And then all the expected loss based on my deficit came off in a few days (this was in Nov/Dec).

I had another one in August that was almost 4 weeks but it coincided with a trial of a new medication (immunosuppressant), so I assumed water weight from the drug was the cause.
  • Bluejay61
    @Katmary71 @cindyscott4834 @Lietchi @bold_rabbit

You all raised a very interesting point; that "whoosh" as Lietchi called it, of cumulated weight loss all of a sudden. Personally, just the thought of that happening after a "progress drought" sounds wonderful, and is very motivating. Gives everyone something to look forward to. :smile:

And @neugebauer52, a huge congrats on losing 100 lbs and hitting maintenance!!!! :smiley:
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    I also lose in a whoosh...I’ll have little fluctuations over time but then a big 2-4 lb loss.

It’s frustrating, but I’ve figured out this is how it works for me.

Some people may confuse this trend as a plateau, but I’ve been tracking and losing weight for years ( 5 pregnancies in 9 years) so I understand my body.
  • GeminiLady159
    GeminiLady159 Posts: 120 Member
    When I’m actively trying/reducing and walking, plateau is usually 7-10 days max. Then often do see the “swoosh” of 2-4 pounds. I’ve seen it so many times I don’t get worked up, just look forward to the swoosh!!