Help! Unexplained weight gain

Options
I started 2 weeks ago exercising 5 days per week and low carb. I lost 11lbs in week one. I gained 1 lb this week. My friend said it could be muscle. Is that possible? I’m very fat. 5’2 266 to 256...

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Muscle takes a long time to build. Also with low carb u will lose a bunch of water weight the first week. Are u accurately tracking? As in weighing and measuring all your food?
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Those 11 lbs were 95% water. The 1 lb you gained is probably also mostly water, or something else similar.

Unless you're doing some seriously intense weight lifting (and even then), muscle will never be an influence on your weight. Things that will: water retention, poop, glycogen, undigested food, etc.

Weigh first thing in the morning after you pee for the most accurate result.
  • preciouslove1
    preciouslove1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I am not measuring food with a scale but I think I’m able to be pretty accurate based off or common sense. For instance i get three serving from a 14oz can of green beans. And my meats are pretty basic...like one chicken thigh w/a veggie.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I am not measuring food with a scale but I think I’m able to be pretty accurate based off or common sense. For instance i get three serving from a 14oz can of green beans. And my meats are pretty basic...like one chicken thigh w/a veggie.

Chicken thighs are different sizes, therefore different calorie counts.

“A veggie” could be any vegetable in any amount. A handful lettuce is maybe 10 calories, a scoop of mashed potatoes with butter could be 200+.

If you want accurate logs, you need to weigh your food.
  • preciouslove1
    preciouslove1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok but in my explanation it’s pretty easy to be accurate enough to stay at my carb limit. A 14oz can divided by 3...pretty easy to get to the carbs and calories from there. But I understand what you all are saying. Small steps...I’m a beginner and not trying to be overwhelmed!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Agreed it most likely water weight. ect...ect.... if you want exact, get a food scale. If you want close enough, learn portion sizes. https://www.precisionnutrition.com/calorie-control-guide-infographic ..... good link to help. Though getting a food scale and doing that for a while can help with portion sizes.....
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    One way or another you are going to have to accept that there will be unexplained fluxuations. Actually, there are a lot of explanations but no way to determine which one may be at work here. Just how it is. It’s one of the reasons that significant weight loss needs a long view.

No human undertaking tracks on a straight line. You know that saying about life having its ups and downs? Must have been started by someone try to lose weight.

A friend says- we eventually get the weigh in we deserve. But not necessarily when we expect it.