Need a good side dish recipe

Options
dixiech1ck
dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
Hey gang -- I'm going to a party on Sunday that will have approximately 50 people attending. Does anyone have any good, EASY (and preferrably low-cost) ideas for a good side dish? The typical potato salad and coleslaw are already on the list. I was hoping for something fun, yet easy that people will enjoy.

Your ideas are appreciated!!!

Replies

• Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    you could do steamed green bean bundles wrapped in very thinly sliced bacon.... those are delish. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/green-bean-bundles/detail.aspx
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
  • digitalsinner
    Options
    I usually make cucumber sandwiches for stuff like that. The only issue is, it's best if you use white bread. But it's a picnic...splurge every once in a while.

Cut the crust off of your bread slices. Lay down a think layer of mayo. Quarter the bread slices. Slice up cucumbers into 1/4 inch rounds, put on the bread quarters, little bit of salt, little bit of dill weed on top and PRESTO! Everyone usually loves them.
  • aeakagi
    aeakagi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Corn and Black Bean Salad
    1 can, 14 ounces, black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 cups frozen corn kernels
    1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    1 cup cooked edamame or diced avocado
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    1 lime, juiced
    Salt and pepper to taste

Toss ingredients in a bowl and enjoy!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    http://healthydoesntmeanboring.blogspot.com/search/label/side dish

My favorites are the:

Watermelon Salad
    Quinoa Salad w/ Tzatziki dressing (little more time consuming to make)
    Three Bean Salad
  • bereal75
    bereal75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love to bring along rice salad with red pepper and peas.
    Roast onions, later add rice. deglace with little white wine, add peppers and peas and pour double amount of bouillon or water.

Cool the rice and add salad sauce to it.

But it's no good for healthy eaters with moderate or low carb intake :-)
  • Tzipporah90
    Options
    Carrott muffins(or pumpkin, their both super yum), cranberry apple cobbler, pasta salad(linguini- you know with the soy sauce, toasted sesame seeds,....), a nice ceaser salad, scalloped potatoes....
    ....depends what kind of party though.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes with fresh basil and mozzarella cheese

crab salad stuffed cherry tomatoes

stuffed mushrooms

cheese, meat and cracker tray

cut up fruit with something sweet to dip it into

spinach dip and bread
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • BeauDeAnne
    Options
    Pumpkin and Rosemary Savoury Muffins (157 calories each)

Ingredients
    • 60ml/2fl oz vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
    • 180g/6½oz self-raising flour
    • 130g/4½oz wholemeal flour
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
    • pinch salt
    • 3 fresh rosemary sprigs, finely chopped
    • 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
    • 100ml/4fl oz plain yoghurt
    • 275ml/10fl oz milk
    • 1 tbsp honey
    • 240g/8½oz cooked pumpkin, cut into ½cm/¼in cubes - I have also used Butternut aquash
    • handful pumpkin seeds
    Preparation method
    1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Oil a 12-hole muffin tin and line with 12 squares of baking paper. Push the squares down into each hole so that the paper sticks up.
    2. Sift the flours, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Stir in the salt and rosemary. (Reserve any wholegrain left in the sieve.)
    3. Meanwhile in another bowl, mix the eggs, yoghurt, milk, honey and vegetable oil until well combined.
    4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold the ingredients together, but be careful not to over-work the mixture.
    5. Sprinkle the reserved wholegrain, pumpkin and the pumpkin seeds over the muffins. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the muffins are well risen and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
    6. Serve and eat at any time of the day.
    Top recipe tip
    Be careful not to over-work the muffin mixture which will produce a heavy texture.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Add already cooked quinoa to cut up cucumbers, tomatoes and olives. Top with a little feta and Greek dressing.
  • dixiech1ck
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome ideas!!!
  • kbirk1963
    Options
    pasta is always a big hit at party's or get togethers. it's also inexpensive. my favorite is

1 pound tri-colored spiral pasta
    1 (16 ounce) bottle Italian-style salad dressing
    2 cups cherry tomatoes, diced
    1 head broccoli, chopped and blanched
    1 small red onion, diced
    1/2 lb. Genoa salami, chopped
    1 (2.25 ounce) can black olives, chopped
    1/2 cup parm. cheese
    mix all together, chill and eat!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    love these ideas. i second the corn and black bean salsa one, that would have been my number one suggestion. Also a mixed salad or italian style salad. fruit salsa-mandarin oranges, strawberries, kiwi, peaches, crushed pineapples drained, mix together and eat with cinnamon sugar pita chips or graham crackers. Easy, and if you have a farmers market near by not that expensive.
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Pasta salad or 7 layer bean dip
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Roast garlic and broccoli. When done, top with just a little bit of velveeta. To DIE for. Just a little salt and pepper and it is AWESOME! And BTW, I HATE broccoli!
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Asparagus wraps! My friend had them at her bridal shower and I ate like 100. I'm not sure the exact recipe but it's basically an asparagus spear wrapped in sandwhich bread that has a little mayo on it.

I think you just cook the asparagus as you normally would, lightly mayo the bread, wrap, and voila! SO GOOD!!
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well it's more of a sweet side than a savory side, but it's a huge hit at our house.

Pineapple Marshmallow Salad

1 can crushed pineapple (the standard sized can, not sure how many oz)
    1 bag mini marshmallows
    1 container cool whip (can use low or non fat)

Combine marshmallows and pineapple (juice and all) in a large bowl. Refridgerate overnight. Mix in cool whip, then serve. Easy!

Or you could make any flavor jello, refridgerate til set, then use your hand mixer to combine it with cool whip. Stir in some fresh fruit if desired. Makes this awesome fruity fluffy thing.
  • dixiech1ck
    Options
    Corn and Black Bean Salad
    1 can, 14 ounces, black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 cups frozen corn kernels
    1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    1 cup cooked edamame or diced avocado
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    1 lime, juiced
    Salt and pepper to taste

Toss ingredients in a bowl and enjoy!

With this, do I need to heat up the corn??? Sounds so good with some whole grain tortilla chips. =)
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I love making pesto salad and it's a huge hit! For 50 people I would double the usual recipe (I doubled it for you below!)

2 pounds of pasta (whatever kind you want, I like to use bow-tie)
    1 small jar pesto
    1 container baby tomatos cut in half
    1 ball of fresh mozzarella cut into cubes
    2 tbsp olive oil

Cook pasta and cool. Mix everything together with a little bit of olive oil and enjoy!