RRFG - Recently Retired Fat Guy

Worked hard for 43 years so I could retire earlier. Made my career and financial goals by the time I was 63.
Advanced to a Sr Executive level working for various manufacturing companies.
Abused myself for many years,too many hours, too much travel, entertaining, food, alcohol, etc. etc. etc.
By the time I was 62 I was 298 pounds on a 6'2" frame "BUT" big boned, was always my excuse.
My knees were bad, my heart was bad, my energy level was bad,my demeanor was bad. God bless my wife and kids!
1 year prior to my retirement I started swimming religiously every day at 5:00 AM for at least 45 minutes 60 if possible.
By the time I retired i had reduced from 298 LBS to 260 LBS, and felt much better, less weight less stress,less anguish.
I am currently at 240 LBS as I kept up my swimming and my somewhat restricted diet.
November 2019 I started doing cardio work out 20 minutes/ weight training 40-60 minutes and swimming 45 minutes
Currently no cardio or weigh training on the weekend "yet" but I do try to get 60 minutes swimming at least one day
I also started watching my calorie intake like a hawk, never did it before, it has become an obsession.
My target is to get to 220 LBS by the end of March and 210 LBS by end of June.
This site is helping me track my journey so I'm determine to achieve my target.
"BUT" since November I have only dropped maybe 8 LBS so I may be pushing it. (The target that is)
Waste size is down by 4" and shirt size from 2 XL to XL so something is changing for the better.
My bones are better my heart is better my stamina is better and overall health is far improved. Beer still tastes good!
Whats not to like about fitness? ;-) Glad I woke up! Hope the damage done is repairable.

Replies

• Good job! It's really hard to change habits like that. You've done an amazing job so far!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Nice!! Sounds like you found all the right elements to make healthier living a lifestyle for you, keep it up!! Don't be discouraged by the weight stall, it happens sometimes. Right now I go up/down .5 lb. every day and it's driving me nuts. :) So I'm going to be more committed to counting every calorie and not weigh myself for a week or 2.
    But wow, you've already done good!! Bet your drs. are happier too. :)
  • gaidiesr
    gaidiesr Posts: 13 Member
    I'm sure all of us here have a journey we want to take.
    Amazing how some kind words can add inspiration.

• leslieh4567
    leslieh4567 Posts: 4 Member
    Great job! Very inspiring! Keep up the good work!
  • mgeeq
    mgeeq Posts: 21 Member
    Hi! Great story. I'm also someone who found the joys of movement relatively late (I'm 48). I love exercise and feeling my body move & groove. I'm especially into swimming! It feels like fun rather than work.

One thing I've done is not to worry about the scale too much. I weigh in once a week at the same time. I try not to worry about weight the rest of the time as it can fluctuate so much even in one day.

I took before pics when I (re)started my wellness journey. Every month I'm planning to take more. Even the 1-month pics have shown a BIG difference!

I'm also keeping track of measurements because I know as I tone up *plus* slim down those will show more sustainable change than the fickle #'s on my scale.

Good luck! Keep going! Enjoy your body! :-)
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Your story is close to mine. At 65 I was a computer programmer when my boss let me work from home full time. I was averaging 10 hours a day sitting at the computer on the phone, eating breakfast & lunch at my desk.
    Saturdays we’d go out for a dinner date and have some wine. Sundays were football or baseball with wings, pizza & beer with the boys.
    Last April, at 5’10 and 265 lbs I decided to start walking and dieting,and lost 30 lbs in 6 months. I struggled to maintain through the holidays.

Retired this past New Years Eve at 68, and now I hit the gym 3 times a week, walk or bike on my off days.
    Today, I’m 232 lbs hoping to get to 205 by my birthday (November) and keep it there.

Yeah, beer does still taste good, and a craft beer brewery is opening nearby soon.
  • lorabelllee
    lorabelllee Posts: 54 Member
    Great job everyone. Very inspiring.I wish my husband could find the drive you all have, tho he isn't retired quite yet. I'm still working on losing my 30 pounds and getting the the healthy weight range but I'll get there! I'm sure you all will reach your goals! Thank you for sharing your stories!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    Great stories, keep on track and you will make it!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    Trying new things, different exercises, nuts / seeds to nibble on, green tea (yuk)
  • gaidiesr
    gaidiesr Posts: 13 Member
    Hit the 231 pound mark today. Heading the right way though. Its amazing that my net calorie consumption is consistently below 1500 but the pounds move so slowly. I guess when it takes 40 + years to put it on getting it gone is a big chore. That stomach visceral fat is one very difficult fat to reduce.