maintaining weight after weight loss

Options
so I have been struggling with loosing and gaining weight over the years! whenever I reach my goal weight I just end up gaining all the weight back, so what can I do to maintain my weight...please help

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    salmashami wrote: »
    so I have been struggling with loosing and gaining weight over the years! whenever I reach my goal weight I just end up gaining all the weight back, so what can I do to maintain my weight...please help

Look into a reverse diet. Slowly get your calories to maintenance levels.
  • wae2go
    wae2go Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Are you perhaps looking at your goal weight as a 'finishing line' and making temporary unsustainable changes in order to get there. Then once you've achieve this 'goal' you abandon all the temporary unsustainable changes you made, go back to previous 'normal' and thereby return to your previous 'normal' weight?

Sounds like me.
  • Khartman6
    Khartman6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself putting weight back on again, make a list of why you don't want to weigh that much and take pics. A lot of people get complacent after they reached their goal weight, and start letting go of the discipline that got them there. The list and pictures will serve as a motivator. For me, I enjoy the fact that I no longer get winded climbing a flight of stairs, or have to tie my shoes on the side. I have also done a couple contest in the gym to stay motivated.
  • minimiss669
    minimiss669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For some reason, whenever I start to lose weight and feel in control, I start feeling like, "That wasn't so hard" or "I can afford to slide" and then I'll put it back on in a heartbeat and it will be months before it comes off again. So I get how hard it can be to stay at your goal weight. One of these times, I'll figure it out. "...and this time, I'll keep it off!"
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Have a read through the threads in the Maintaining Weight forum - just like dieting for weight loss diet for weight maintenace has many different techniques for individuals but the same underlying principles of eating the right amount of calories on average over an extended period of time.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I was a yoyo dieter all my life, up and down 35-50 lbs. over and over again. When I started with MFP I decided I wanted to continue logging to keep myself from getting into the same habits that kept putting the weight back on. It also made sure I wasn't eating too much or too little to fuel my running. People who maintain weight loss usually exercise every day. I became a runner about the time I started MFP. It made a big difference for me.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,653 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I was a yoyo dieter all my life, up and down 35-50 lbs. over and over again. When I started with MFP I decided I wanted to continue logging to keep myself from getting into the same habits that kept putting the weight back on. It also made sure I wasn't eating too much or too little to fuel my running. People who maintain weight loss usually exercise every day. I became a runner about the time I started MFP. It made a big difference for me.

I agree with most sentiments.

Just a wording difference for additional clarity and to avoid the discouragement that non exercisers just starting out may feel reading it.

And to actively discourage ubiquitous "biggest loser" thinking.

I am assuming your statement on exercise is based on the National weight control registry studies as they are the usual source of such sentiments.

From the relevant Wikipedia wording:

"Registry participants watch less television than the average American, which leaves time to engage in about 60 minutes per day of moderate intensity physical activity, or the equivalent."

The registry studies often go on to suggest that the majority of participants engage in walking for their moderate activity.

They have also published studies where maintainers did on average engage in more strenuous activities than regainers or weight stable individuals.

In general maintainers remain more active and more vigilant than weight stable individuals of similar weight.

I think we all know that yo-yoing is common and almost inevitable if weight control is viewed as a time limited endeavor. This doesn't mean we can't make weight control relatively easy and relatively fun!

PS: not suggesting that running cannot be relatively easy and relatively fun for many people starting out

But flashing back to me as a less than MFP sedentary 48 year-old morbidly obese person... trying to go running at that point of time would have been the wrong thing to do!

I still don't go running; but I do chase the dog to make her run when she is dawdling too much!!! :lol:
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I lost 25lbs in 2016. It took about 6 months, but I logged for another year at maintenance to make sure I kept it off. Every time I'm >5lbs above my target, I log for a while until I get back. It really is pretty much a constant effort.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,192 Member
    Options
    Weight loss provides an opportunity to experiment and dial in strategies for eating and activity that can help us stay at a healthy weight permanently.

Looking at it as "a diet" that has an end point, after which one resumes "normal life" is (IMO) a likely yo-yo scenario.

The word "experiment" in paragraph 1 is really, really important, IMO. If you're near maintenance, and haven't yet thought about that sustainable long-term healthy, balanced life, it's not too late.

I'm in year 4+ of maintenance at a healthy weight, and still learning. Fortunately, I think learning is fun. :)

There are lots of good posts over in the maintenance area of the forums, and lots of maintainers who'll answer questions.

Best wishes for long term success!