Choice of fitness tracker for team sports and cycling

Options
fanuch
fanuch Posts: 18 Member
I know the market is starting to get saturated with fitness trackers that all propose different exercise, but the activities I do involve a lot of futsal (a very high intensity indoor soccer variant) and cycling which generally aren't listed for the fitness trackers I've seen. I'm looking at the FitBit One, but don't want to buy it if it wont fit my needs. Can anyone recommend a suitable tracker?

Replies

• CoachDanJudge
    Options
    Hey Fanuch,

I would recommend the Basis B1 if you are going to be doing multisports especially running and cycling. The watch will gie you tips on habits to stay healthy but while also keeping track of fitness stats like heart rate etc. It can even tell the difference between cycling and running without having to touch anything.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you looking for in a fitness tracker?

Activity trackers like Fitbits are good for tracking daily activity, and giving calorie estimates but don't do a great job for actual exercise (although I think there are a couple of new ones you can put on a HRM strap for exercise and track).

For cycling, I would be looking at a Garmin. The higher end ones with HR options are pretty accurate for calorie estimates and have options like monitor power, cadence, etc.

You may want to browse around this site, he does pretty comprehensive comparasions
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Hey Fanuch,

I would recommend the Basis B1 if you are going to be doing multisports especially running and cycling. The watch will gie you tips on habits to stay healthy but while also keeping track of fitness stats like heart rate etc. It can even tell the difference between cycling and running without having to touch anything.

The one issue with the Basis is that its weak area is keeping track of heart rate during strenuous activity. It is really designed to track activity outside of high intensity, frequent movement events ... or as some reviews put it "the other 23 hours" of a day.
  • fanuch
    fanuch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys
    I would like to keep track of calories burnt as I've found myself lethargic on days where I do more exercise, despite naps and good rest. I feel like I either overeat or don't eat enough on those days, and as the activities I do vary so greatly from day to day, I though a fitness tracker would help maintain a calorie deficit for weight loss.
  • mohamedbadriano
    mohamedbadriano Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    fanuch wrote: »
    I would like to keep track of calories burnt as I've found myself lethargic on days where I do more exercise, despite naps and good rest. I feel like I either overeat or don't eat enough on those days, and as the activities I do vary so greatly from day to day, I though a fitness tracker would help maintain a calorie deficit for weight loss.

i really want to find a fitness tracker especially for playing football too, do you have reached a proper solution ???
  • Candy_lilacs
    Candy_lilacs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch has options for just about everything. You can even create your own.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For cycling if you get a bike computer it will integrate with Strava and you can track all of it including cals...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Fitbit One was discontinued a couple years ago.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    This thread is from 2014. I don't think the OP is likely to come back and fill us in. And that's like 800 years in technology, both in terms of the devices themselves and what people expect of them.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

i really want to find a fitness tracker especially for playing football too, do you have reached a proper solution ???

I wouldn't recommend a tracker for team/contact sports... at least not a wrist-based one. Maybe a chest strap that can store the data and sync after the game/practice?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    What exactly are you looking for in a fitness tracker?

Activity trackers like Fitbits are good for tracking daily activity, and giving calorie estimates but don't do a great job for actual exercise (although I think there are a couple of new ones you can put on a HRM strap for exercise and track).

For cycling, I would be looking at a Garmin. The higher end ones with HR options are pretty accurate for calorie estimates and have options like monitor power, cadence, etc.

You may want to browse around this site, he does pretty comprehensive comparasions
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

All of what they just said. (edit: all of what they said back in 2014. )
  • mohamedbadriano
    mohamedbadriano Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I wouldn't recommend a tracker for team/contact sports... at least not a wrist-based one. Maybe a chest strap that can store the data and sync after the game/practice?

because i need one solution will be suitable for many kinds of my training (Soccer, Gym, running), so people advised me to the fitbit charge 3 or fitbit inspire HR. but i am afraid cause in does not have built GPS. So, how can it will detect my fitness reading and burned calories !
    according to Heart rate, i don't know !
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

because i need one solution will be suitable for many kinds of my training (Soccer, Gym, running), so people advised me to the fitbit charge 3 or fitbit inspire HR. but i am afraid cause in does not have built GPS. So, how can it will detect my fitness reading and burned calories !

Just to be clear, you don't *need* any device to do those things... so I'd prioritize what you want to measure/track and go from there.

Again, I can't recommend strongly enough AGAINST wrist-based trackers for team/contact sports. It's just a matter of time before the clasp gets raked across someone's face or caught on equipment/clothing. Guess how I know...
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Just to be clear, you don't *need* any device to do those things... so I'd prioritize what you want to measure/track and go from there.

Again, I can't recommend strongly enough AGAINST wrist-based trackers for team/contact sports. It's just a matter of time before the clasp gets raked across someone's face or caught on equipment/clothing. Guess how I know...

GPS probably not as useful for the soccer anyway...cadence+step tracking would probably be the way to estimate that if you can. Possibly a decent estimate for running as well, if that is why the interest in a device.

Watches can definitely get in the way for some activities. I remove mine for dancing. Maybe a footpod for those particular activities.