Raising my protein ?

Options
I been noticing on my diet totals that I am eating under half my daily proteins. I am vegetarian and never had a problem but recently discovered I cant eat most beans and pulses as I have an allergen with these foods. Any suggestions as to how to raise my protein intake would be greatly appreciated, Maybe I don't need to ? I don't know.

Replies

• momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    how about eggs and cheese if you are not vegan
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If you're vegetarian not vegan, the best way to go is dairy. I drink a glass of milk and eat two eggs most days.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Dairy if you're not vegan. Also I think broccoli has a fair amount of protein. What about nuts?
  • tammymeee1
    Options
    alot of tofu, it has 10 grams half cup...
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    good question. there's this theory that we really don't need as much protein as the government says. It's a "ploy" to help the meat industry with their sells, milk as well, blah blah blah. In the same study, it also asks have you ever heard the medical term for a protein deficiency? It claims there is not one, because we don't need as much as we think. But otherwise, I like soy-milk, had good protein, and maybe a multivitamin.
  • chrikoko12202007
    Options
    protein shakes :)
  • bereal75
    bereal75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try dairy. I often eat curd cheese, it offers moderate protein.
  • russelljclarke
    Options
    Tofu may be out, as it's bean curd
  • LovesNoodles
    Options
    try some quinoa!!!
  • russelljclarke
    Options
    Ditto soya, as it's bean too
  • jdoggie
    Options
    Quenoa...so yummy...
  • hedgecutter
    Options
    Thanks for great response so far. I didn't even consider dairy. I don't eat eggs but do eat cheese and milk. Will try one glass milk tomorrow and see how it effects my score.
    I have found soya ok as long as it's the milk not beans directly as I think it's more a digestion thing.
    Great help all Thank you .
  • hedgecutter
    Options
    I had forgotten about the joys of Quenoa ! Thank you
  • BeauDeAnne
    Options
    Hi - I'm also vegetarian. I tend to rely on soya which may be ok for you. Other than that it would be dairy or nuts which can clock up the calories but I must admit I really don't worry to much about the indicators on the nutrition log- its always telling me I've eaten too many carbs but I've lost a steady 2 pound a week since Easter and feel healthier than ever.
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bananas as a fruit of choice too, even if it's not much is still 2/3g more
  • bereal75
    bereal75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    amaranth is also a possibilty and i think quite yummy.
  • ChrisFA5
    ChrisFA5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love meat but here are a few suggestions:

-Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
    -Almonds
    -Whey Protein Isolate (i use NOW brand unflavored)
    -Yogurt
    -Flaxseed
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I forgot all about greek yogurt. I am now dairy free but I used to eat it every morning to get my protein up.. it's super high in protein some as much 18 grams per serving and it's delicious!
  • hedgecutter
    Options
    Greek yog sounds good to me! Thanks all you have been a big help :)