Caloric Intake for Healing Broken Bones

Options
I hit a tree snow sledding and have 11 spine and rib fractures. I can lift no more than 5 lbs and no bending, twisting, turning, pushing or pulling. So basically I can do very little. How many calories do I need to heal and maintain my weight? I've gained 8 lbs in 3 weeks mostly because I have to eat what I'm given. Thanks!

Replies

• Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry about your sledding accident. I agree with the other feedback here. Maybe press pause on your weight loss journey and focus on healing your body. I broke my foot last March and it was a long slow recovery. I’m still trying to lose the weight I gained but I can finally run again and it feels so good to be able to be active again after such a long time sitting on my *kitten*. Find some books and some shows and let your body heal.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Bone healing requires an increase in calories. Eat meat, fish, milk, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, nuts, seeds, beans, soy products, leafy greens. :)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    If your orthopedic surgeon won't answer this, search for information by adding the term "grand rounds" to your Google search string. And only read the in-house training for doctors that is in your search results.

Its pretty reckless to ask something this important from random forum strangers.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I would consult a dietitian. I would guess your body needs a lot of calories to heal all that. Maybe focus more on nutrition for now? Protein, veggies, fruit, whole grains, natural ingredients and no added sugar?