Calorie goal

Options
Foe those of you having success with tracking calories, I'd always heard 1100-1200 is the goal to lose 1-2 lbs a week. Does thos so uh and too high or low? I've done ww points, but not as familiar with actual calories.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    1100 is to low. 1200 depending on your need might also be to low. Mfp puts my calories to lose 2 lbs a week at 1350, 1 lb a week it's at 1800.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Under 1200 is almost always too low for most anyone of any age, size, activity level. Generally someone should only eat under 1200 calories/day if they are instructed to do so by a healthcare professional.

Use the MFP Goals calculator to determine an estimate for the number of calories you should eat for weight loss. The number of calories your body burns in a day are dependent on many factors like sex, age, current weight, and activity level - MFP will calculate an estimate for how many calories you burn in a day and subtract calories from that to determine how many calories you should eat in a day to lose based on how many lbs you want to lose per week. If you have a lot to lose you may target as much as 2 lbs/week weight loss, but that is a very aggressive goal for many people. If you have less to lose a target of 0.5 lbs or 1 lb/week might be more reasonable.

That said, all calculators are just estimates since each person's metabolism is unique. Give it a go with what MFP suggests for a few weeks and adjust accordingly based on your results.
  • ametoyer1969
    ametoyer1969 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I'll plug in the numbers on the mfp calculator. 😄