Exercise Topics

Options
Hi I'm Dee, 71, animal mad, young at heart, ex Art teacher. I go to Russia in Spring to teach English to school children and teachers of English. I am not an 'old lady' or try not to be.
I was just thinking that it would be useful if in the 'exercise' log there were everyday activities like ironing, vacuuming etc. Looked this morning for ironing and it 'could not be found'. All activity counts to calorie usage even breathing!

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    You wanted to log ironing? 🤔
  • Candy_lilacs
    Candy_lilacs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Dee, they do have cleaning, gardening, and mowing the lawn.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You can add your own exercise and assign it a calorie burn.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    dcwblythe wrote: »
    Hi I'm Dee, 71, animal mad, young at heart, ex Art teacher. I go to Russia in Spring to teach English to school children and teachers of English. I am not an 'old lady' or try not to be.
    I was just thinking that it would be useful if in the 'exercise' log there were everyday activities like ironing, vacuuming etc. Looked this morning for ironing and it 'could not be found'. All activity counts to calorie usage even breathing!

I think breathing would be considered a necessity for life and therefore factored into your daily caloric need. I think there is an entry for cleaning. Things like ironing would be such a negligible burn I suspect that's why there's no entry
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    All of the things you do normally in life are factored into the activity level you chose when setting up your account.

There are some entries for cleaning etc, but to avoid double-logging, you would only really use these if for instance you did something that burned a lot of calories outside of your normal routine, like if you had yourself set to sedentary but cleared out an attic and were up and down a ladder for hours on end lifting lots of boxes.

Logging things like daily cleaning and ironing, would over-inflate your calories out estimate and lead to a smaller calorie deficit, in turn leading to slower weight loss, maintenance and if in a smaller deficit, it could potentially lead to gain.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that your activity level already presumes that you'll be doing some basic activities to maintain daily life and logging the calories burnt through these activities is highly likely to result in "double dipping."

That said, you should be able to find entries for things like "light housekeeping" in the activities, but I would be really cautious about logging them and counting the calories burnt.