Insecure and not happy

Options
Hello everyone! I started yesterday (January 20th 2020). I am very happy and nervous at the same time to commit to a diet. I never had to be on a diet before because I had the energy taking care of the busy life and three youngster!
The past 10 years, I have slowly increased in weight. I have a lot of health problems and the major one was being in a wheelchair for 6 years. I felt isolate and didn't like to rely on others for I am an independent person! As the story goes, I doubled in weight. I have just fought the courts to gain custody of my grandson who was living in a bad atmosphere. Love him to dead and would do anything to protect him. I had that bad news from my doctor that my diabetes is out of control. Not just a little bit! He would have to admit myself to the hospital for a while. Oh boy did that scare me. I think that was the eye opening experience for me! I want to be healthy so I can be a great-great grandma lol and I can't do that if I am not healthy! My grandson is 5 years old and his smile just lights up my world! If I can be healthy and watch him grow into a man-you betcha I am going to commit myself to a diet no matter how hard it will be in the beginning!

Replies

• Candy_lilacs
    Candy_lilacs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can do this!
  • lilann1961
    lilann1961 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes looking into the eyes of child and say "I am worth it because you are worth it." I wish you the very best in your journey. Small changes can add up to big ones! Just keep remembering this is a way of life, not a diet. It has to be sustainable long term!
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,540 Member
    Options
    I can promise you that right now is the hardest part. Change is hard, committing to something that is scary and foreign to you is hard. If you're insecure it just makes it seem like the world is coming in on you. Gather your thoughts, get the information that you can and make a plan. Whatever first steps you decide, stick with it for a while. Just remember that changes take weeks and that you shouldn't get discouraged right away. You are worth it right? Your grandson certainly is I bet. There will be sweat, there will be tears, there will be anger and frustration. One step at a time and keep moving forward. Most importantly remember that what works for someone else will not work for you. You have to find what works for you. I'm sure you can do this. Don't be scared.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My normal advice is to start small and improve as you go along.
    But you have to do what you need to control your diabetes before working on tweaking. Track everything in this app, so you can follow your progress.
    Retrain yourself into new habits, and before you know it, it is your new lifestyle.

Put a picture of your grandson in the refrigerator. No fast food, and keep posting to let us know how you’re doing.