eating disorder

Options

Replies

• stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    twincat, you posed an interesting question. For me, and those of us that are heavy, the journaling, counting ect is a critical aspect of our success. Mindfulness is so important if you've been using food like drugs, because we can't actually just quit using food altogether, so we must be mindful. For those of you trying to gain weight, And kittynurse, you are so wise to point out the self esteem issue. So, twincat, how is your self worth involved in your calorie counting, etc?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    most eating disorders do begin with an obsession with food. Then they progress. I don't feel like I have one... but I do sometimes feel like I have Body Dysmorphia, because I can't see my body the way it really looks. When I was fat I often saw myself as "curvy" sometimes even slim, and now that I actually am thin, I sometimes see myself as fat. And I honestly mean I look in the mirror sometimes and SEE a fat person, not that I see a thin person and believe she's fat anyway. Does that make any sense? Counting calories and obsessiving over food can definitely get overwhelming though, if you really feel like you're headed for an eating disorder you should talk to a professional and step away from the calorie counting for awhile. :flowerforyou:
  • stillkristi
    Options
    I'm glad you mentioned Body Dysphmorphia, also often called Body Betrayal in lay terms. Personally, I think this happens because we are socialized to try to be an ideal that doesn't really exist in nature. For example, the typical supermodel is a size 2 and is 16 years old. If she gets above a size 4, she will no longer be marketable.

When Barbie made her debut in 1959, her measurements if she were life size would have been 39-18-33. Around the year 2000, Barbie's waist was increased slightly and her bust was decreased slightly, though she is still far from typical. The altering came after years of lobbying by parents and professionals working with anorexia.

So you see, as a culture, we seem to be chasing an ideal that is not possible. In fact, I am copying an article here that will make this sort of a long post, but it has some very interesting information in it!.

What Size is the "Average" Woman?
    By LB Lacey

The average American woman is 5'4", weighs 140 lbs, and wears a size 14 dress.

The "ideal" woman--portrayed by models, Miss America, Barbie dolls, and screen actresses--is 5'7", weighs 100 lbs, and wears a size 8.

One-third of all American women wear a size 16 or larger.

75% of American women are dissatisfied with their appearance.

50% of American women are on a diet at any one time.

Between 90% and 99% of reducing diets fail to produce permanent weight loss.

Two-thirds of dieters regain the weight within one year. Virtually all regain it within five years.

The diet industry (diet foods, diet programs, diet drugs, etc.) takes in over $40 billion each year, and is still growing.

Quick-weight-loss schemes are among the most common consumer frauds, and diet programs have the highest customer dissatisfaction of any service industry.

A recent survey found only 30 percent of 250 randomly chosen women age 21 to 35 had normal bone mass--the researchers concluded women are so afraid eating dairy products will make them gain weight that they are starving themselves into osteoporosis.

Young girls are more afraid of becoming fat than they are of nuclear war, cancer, or losing their parents.
    50% of 9-year-old girls and 80% of 10-year-old girls have dieted.

90% of high school junior and senior women diet regularly, even though only between 10% and 15% are over the weight recommended by the standard height-weight charts.

1% of teenage girls, and 5% of college-age women become anorexic or bulimic.

Anorexia has the highest mortality rate (up to 20%) of any psychiatric diagnosis.

Girls develop eating and self-image problems before drug or alcohol problems; there are drug and alcohol programs in almost every school, but no eating disorder programs.
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was definitely anorexic at one point in my life. It is documented in my health records and I had been denied insurance because of it in the past (even after I became obese).

My anorexia stemmed from regaining control of my life. I was newly married, age 27, and my husband was an extreme advice giver. Ex. I'd vaccuum the floor, and he'd sit in the easychair and bark at me, "Don't vaccuum up that paper, pick it up and put it in the trash can." "Don't use that cleaner on the wood floor." "Why did you use this kind of mulch?" It occurred to me one day as he droned on about how unhealthy vegetarians are, that I could PiS* him off by not eating meat! AND since he was overweight and wouldn't dry to lose any, that maybe he would be inspired by me getting thinner. Well, I went from not eating meat, to bareley eating and at my lowest weight I was 5'8 and weighed 115. I had to buy size 10 pants and have them altered to a size 6 waist.

One day I went to a wedding and saw that the punch server there was all skin and bones. My perception was that SHE must be anorexic, and WHAT was she thinking? Her bones looked huge and she looked awful! I wondered if she realized that she looked so bad, and that her bones were not going to get any smaller. THEN I walked into the bathroom, looked in the mirror and PANICKED! I vowed that day to put the weight back on, and haven't stopped SINCE!!!

I have always had problems with knowing how big or small I am, which is a strong indicator of anorexia. At size 6, I honestly thought the 10s should fit me when I held them up. I also, as a size 18-20W, would (for a long time) try on size 16 and 14s. It took me a long time to get used to the fact that I was that big. Body image is so inaccurate for me that I had just gotten in the habit of buying the 20W so I was sure it would go around me. It's annoying to try on pants that are too small.

Now I am on the way down, and I look at the difference between my size 20s and the 14s I just bought... It's an incredible difference in size, when I hold the pants up next to each other, but I've only lost 17 pounds. I can also still wear the 18s and some of the 20s, but they are pretty loose on me.

Now about thinking about food all the time,
    I just do so much better when losing weight to eat the same thing all the time so that I don't feel the hunger pains. It keeps my focus off of food and the choices.

I am still married to the same man, and we are in our 17th year. I have been an incredible lion tamer! When I spend the holidays around his father and two brothers, I realize just how far we have come! (Last Christmas, his brother's dog pooped on my mother-in-law's carpet. The brother looked at his wife and bellered at her, "Kris, GO PICK IT UP NOW!" The younger brother looked at me at 10 pm one night and said, "Turn it off NOW!" OMG I HATE THEM!!!)
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    An eating disorder is serious stuff, please get help if you think that you may have one. I don't but one of my foster daughters does, and it's very upsetting for everyone involved, here's a little note that gets sent to my email from The post, I'm trying to help and understand..that's the big one, cause I really don't get it, and help her through this.

Awareness first step in beginning recovery from eating disorders

2/23/2009 1:38:00 AM Email this article • Print this article

Anna Hartenbach • For The Post • ah896106@ohiou.edu

For Ohio University junior Nicole Mikusa, getting help for her eating disorder was difficult, but the recovery process is more difficult than she had anticipated.

Mikusa, who studies family and consumer science education, worked with a psychiatrist, psychologist and a dietician in the beginning stages of her recovery and regularly attends an Eating Disorder Anonymous support group.

"It's one thing to tell people who don't know what you're going through, and it's another to tell people who know what you're going through because they can understand," Mikusa said. "It's definitely been really helpful and a way to help other people with eating disorders because we're all at different stages in our eating disorders."

Today is the start of National Eating Disorder Awareness Week and to raise awareness, OU Counseling and Psychological Services, Ping Center fitness staff and the Women's Center will host events on campus.

Jonathan Mosko, a counseling intern at OU's Counseling and Psychological Services, said about 10 million Americans have an eating disorder, and one out of every 10 people with an eating disorder are male.

Though Mikusa's ongoing battle with anorexia started because of many factors, her recovery is centered on control of her body, she said.

"After going through recovery, I feel like it was more of a control issue now because I'm supposed to be giving up that control of knowing how much I'm eating and knowing how much I'm exercising and focusing on one battle at a time," she said.

Though many people do receive help, in some cases the damage from an eating disorder is irreversible. Jane Lonsdale, an OU senior studying broadcast journalism, said her sister Mary Lonsdale died during her senior year of high school while recovering from bulimia because of the fluctuating potassium levels effects on her heart.

"What they think happened was ... that her heart gave out. It was so weak from all of the years (of her disorder)," Lonsdale said.

Encouraging friends or family members who might have an eating disorder to ask for help is important, she said.

"First of all, if someone knows of someone that is doing this ... definitely bring it up to them - don't push it under the rug," Lonsdale said. "I think the huge problem with my sister was that she ignored the problem for so long that it continued to have these adverse effects on her."

For Mikusa, her disorder is still something she has to deal with in her daily life, but she is learning how to accept herself.

"It's kind of like this daily battle I go through to not over-exercise or under-eat. I really have to maintain ... eating what I need to and not exercising too much," Mikusa said. "I definitely pray and wish that I will be 'normal' again."
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I definitely have a compulsion to eat. I think about food sometimes even when i'm not hungry yet.
    I'm also an artist and a gourmet food lover, though, so on that aspect I'm not sure if it's my eating disorder or my love for food as an art.

However, I KNOW that I have a problem with eating when I'm down or stressed. It's my coping mechanism. I will often treat myself to a latte or chocolates if I have a bad day...
    Lately I've been doing better and having healthier treats and less binges when my emotions go haywire.

I also have an issue with portions. Because I love food so much I frequently would eat an appetizer or soup/salad and the meal and dessert at restaurants. That's a LOT of food especially at places like Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill and etc... The calories in a meal like that are more than you're allowed for a whole day! When food is good I just want to eat it all...and my stomach got big to compensate.
    Luckily since I've been working on cutting down portions I don't feel the need to eat as much. :)
  • dhutch33
    dhutch33 Posts: 25
    Options
    I had anorexia nervosa and bulimia. Although thoughts in the back of my mind always resurface, I could never do that to myself again. I've also learned that there may be things in life I cannot control and instead of controlling it through food I have found other ways to handle it. I also realized that I will never be perfect and I like myself very much now. A million flaws and all. On my extreme end of the spectrum (starvation), it was slow suicide.

I have been recovered for 18 years now and I realize I will always have this disorder with me and so far I have been victorious against it.

We must fight the good fight.:flowerforyou:
    I have also suffered from anorexia and bulimia and have been healthy for a few years now. I feel I will always have an uncomfortable relationship with food...some days are good and others are bad but I do not resort to the extremes anymore. Many times eating disorders are not about food, but about control or lack of control and food becomes the one thing the person can control. If you feel you are obsessed with food...i wouldnt jump to the conclusion right away that you have an eating disorder. Maybe because of dieting you feel you are restricting yourself or you are just much more conscience now of what you are eating.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I had anorexia nervosa and bulimia. Although thoughts in the back of my mind always resurface, I could never do that to myself again. I've also learned that there may be things in life I cannot control and instead of controlling it through food I have found other ways to handle it. I also realized that I will never be perfect and I like myself very much now. A million flaws and all. On my extreme end of the spectrum (starvation), it was slow suicide.

I have been recovered for 18 years now and I realize I will always have this disorder with me and so far I have been victorious against it.

We must fight the good fight.:flowerforyou:
    I have also suffered from anorexia and bulimia and have been healthy for a few years now. I feel I will always have an uncomfortable relationship with food...some days are good and others are bad but I do not resort to the extremes anymore. Many times eating disorders are not about food, but about control or lack of control and food becomes the one thing the person can control. If you feel you are obsessed with food...i wouldnt jump to the conclusion right away that you have an eating disorder. Maybe because of dieting you feel you are restricting yourself or you are just much more conscience now of what you are eating.

I couldn't agree more!!:flowerforyou:

I'm not sure if just thinking about food and exercise all the time constitutes as an eating disorder. I think it's when you go to extremes about your food intake. We all become regularly obsessed with something momentarily about things in our lives (i.e. hobbies, sports, video games) but rarely use it to destroy ourselves.

I learned early on that eating disorders (on the anorexia end) deal with control....or lack thereof....issues. I did not ever obsess about food though. I thought about it as an enemy and nothing more. I just DIDN'T think about it.....that was the problem.

I REALLY think my issues with food went away when I became a mom. I no longer wanted to obsess about myself and my body. All I cared about was my son and so my main focus became him and not me. Ironically.....that is when I allowed myself to eat and become overweight. Add a sitting all day job and eating food on the run and that spelled disaster. But it's all good. I have learned how to resolve my mental issues (<
    that makes me sound loony) and I have learned how to really take care of myself and be healthy.
  • stillkristi
    Options
    dhutch if you don't mind my asking, how did you get healthy, and how do you stay healthy?
  • dhutch33
    Options
    dhutch if you don't mind my asking, how did you get healthy, and how do you stay healthy?

I dont mind at all...honestly it really just took a lot of time and lots of support. I have a wonderful mother, and when I saw how my illness was affecting her, I decided to change. And really that was it. It was a LONG process, but i had to be the one to make the change. And still I do not claim to be completely healthy, I still at times revert back to the old ways, however now my priorities are more in line. Years ago the only thing that mattered to me was controlling how much food i ate, where now i have way too many others things going on in life to really worry about it THAT much, I still worry, and like an addict I guess, if I have some bad times and things get a little crazy for me, I want to take control again through food, but I am aware now of what i am doing and I dont let it get out of hand. I am proud though of myself for getting better and I try to find positives...it has made me a stronger person in many ways, more compassionate, and confident!
    Thanks for asking!!:smile:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I have an Exercise Disorder. Maybe an unhealthy obsession with it. I'm in the gym 2 hours a day/7 days a week typically. I used to be this way and ended up weighing less than 90 pounds for a while. Ugh.

Once I lose these last 10 pounds, I'm going to need you guys again for a completely different reason, lol.
  • dhutch33
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I have an Exercise Disorder. Maybe an unhealthy obsession with it. I'm in the gym 2 hours a day/7 days a week typically. I used to be this way and ended up weighing less than 90 pounds for a while. Ugh.

Once I lose these last 10 pounds, I'm going to need you guys again for a completely different reason, lol.

Try and incorporate a day off and ENJOY it...maybe get your nails done or your hair done. Or go to a movie! Do something that is a treat that you will look forward to. You dont need to work out that much that often, but i know how hard it is to stop. Do you feel guilty if you dont go or dont stay as long?
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it an exercise disorder as much as a love for exercise and working out.
    If you're exercising for that much time because you enjoy it, i think that's perfectly fine.
    The body is made for physical activity! You just need to eat your exercise calories.
    If you're getting way too skinny from it, you should work on eating more and building muscle.

My father runs an hour a day and longer on weekends. He doesn't have an obsession with exercise as much as it's his hobby and it's something he loves to do. He also is muscular and is at a healthy weight because of the way he eats. He makes sure to eat a lot to compensate for the large amount of calories he's burning.

I'd say it all depends on your reasons for doing that much exercise.
  • twincat
    twincat Posts: 6
    Options
    i want to thank everyone for all their thoughts, advice, ideas....they have all been very thought provoking. I agree, i think that logging my cals etc will help keep me accoutable. I think i just get discouraged because i have been battling anorexia for over half my life and wonder if recovery is ever really going ot be possible for me. But seeing/hearing all the positive things you all have to say really gives me hope. Thanks again!!

Oh and thanks for making me feel so welcome here.....i am so embarassed by my disease and was hesitant to post...
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the responses but I do believe I have an eating disorder although it's never been diagnosed by a doctor. It's not just the emotional eating, binge eating or food obsessions, which are bad, but I used to get panic attacks (while dieting) if I didn't get that "overly stuffed, I'm going to yack" feeling. I would seriously have little mini freak outs, sweating, shaking, etc. if I went to bed and wasn't stuffed. I would even go so far as to get out of bed, eat until I was full, really full and then go back to bed, feeling guilty, like a failure, out of control and even crazy... you know, all of the feelings that come with the territory.

I've read, put into action and internalized Dr. Phil's The Ultimate Weigh Solutions and really made choices to change my life and the way I interact with food and it's made all of the difference in the world. All.of.the.difference.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i know how hard it is to stop. Do you feel guilty if you dont go or dont stay as long?

I do! Plus, I noticed that if I take a day off, it's so easy to skip the next day, too...and then I'm out of my habit.

I just came home from the Y and I actually had a message from my trainer saying she noticed my cardio goal is 90 minutes/week and for the last 2 weeks my average has been 327 minutes/week! (I didn't even realize.) This is in addition to strength training at the Y and at home.

And I don't really "enjoy" it :tongue: but I do enjoy the results.

I think it's a sickness I have though. This seems really abnormal, especially if your trainer has to message you to "stop it, already." :embarassed:
  • stillkristi
    Options
    This has been a great thread. twincat, I hear you! Please don't ever feel hesitant to post. When I first started reading the posts here, I felt the same way. My eating disorder is SO EVIDENT that while I knew about rhe seriousness of anorexia and bulimia, I guess I didn't really take time to consider that you have some of the same pain, guilt, embarassment and shame that I do. I will never make that mistake again. Thanks, everyone.:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • incorporeally
    incorporeally Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see that people are being so open about something that is generally viewed as a personal battle. I have EDNOS, which means I am not anorexic or bulemic, but I do have a problem. I binge, I fast, I restrict, I go on diets, I exercise compulsively...etc. I am in the middle of my struggle right now, which has been getting worse recently. I am studying abroad and really on my own for the first time, without anyone to check up on me and make sure I am doing what I should be. I think about food constantly and it is a struggle for me to actually go into the kitchen and eat enough calories. I am one of those people who enjoys fasting, which I know is horrible for your body. It is something that I live with, that I have been living with, and some days are worse than others. Most people think that if you are at a healthy weight, if they can't see a problem, then you are fine. That couldn't be further from the truth.

I am of two minds about the help/hinderance of counting calories vs. exercise on MFP. I think that it is a great tool for some people, but it can easily be harmful for people who are trying to restrict. It goes from being a way to help me get the right nutrition, to being a way for me to make sure that I am keeping within my crazy self-imposed restrictions. That said...I love it here and I think that it is wonderful. To all of you who have eating disorders, just keep trying. That is all we can do.
  • stillkristi
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone has sought professional help (mental health, not medical) and if you are willing to share what part that plays in your struggle. I have been considering seeing a therapist, but don't really know if I should seek out someone who specializes in weight loss, or just see someone I know is a greta therapist.
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    At the insistance of family and friends, I went to my doctor. Without asking me how I felt, just after I told her the 'symptoms', she told me she wanted to put me on anti-depressants. She couldn't do that without parental permission though (I was 17) and she didn't ask if a parent would sign, just told me I couldn't have them as a result. Then, she sent me to councelling. After a 4 week wait, I went to my appointment- at a family clinic (something I hadn't been told), where I was told they couldn't treat me as I wanted individual councelling, NOT with my family (after all, it wasn't a family issue, it was my issue. My father STILL doesn't know about it) and that they'd refer me over to another clinic, which treated 'young adults'. I never heard anything about it. Can't say I was impressed, to be honest, but I know people who have received much better help