Kinesiology tape?

Options
Hi, All. Anyone use this successfully for pain relief - specifically lower back pain. Have had an SI issue for the last couple of years, tired of the pills which don’t seem to help anyway and frustrated by the conflicting info from every health provider I’ve seen - all reading the Ana X-ray and mri. Hoping this may be helpful!

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I use, but for a foot problem and it has helped stabilize my foot.

I did go through PT twice in 2019 for a low back/SI issue. And have worked on keeping up with most of the exercises. Something that has helped long term is I got a good small Tens unit to use at home. I also bought one of those long green strap things for stretching out my leg and cross overs for my hip. And use a set of those disc things on floor. I was told a portion of the problem relates back to tight hip issues and needed to get those muscles stronger and more flexible. But hear you on the pain that never ever goes away. Good Luck.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So, the idea behind kinesiology tape is that it lifts the skin from the underlying muscle and fascia, which causes compression or decompression, which will alter pain signals. It is also supposed to support a joint without restricting movement the way stiff, non-stretchable athletic tape does.
    There is very little evidence behind it. And i am not sure how you would tape to support the SI joint. Rather, what they do is apply the tape across the lower back, horizontally, just straight strips, and this is supposed to lift the skin, alter pain signals, and reduce inflammation, I guess by allowing better fluid flow through the area.
    I believe that when you tape this area you stretch it a lot, almost to the maximum -- much more than you tend to do for taping other areas.
    I tend to think that the rational is not persuasive. It doesn't really make sense that it has any mechanism that would reduce pain or inflammation.
    That said, LOTS of professional athletes use kinesiology tape. Who would know better than professional athletes whether it helps or not? No one.
    I would give it a try. It is not expensive. Just don't get your hopes too high.
    Best of luck!
  • emeraldeyes2020
    emeraldeyes2020 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I had lots of support and pain relief from it but also had physiotherapist advisements to strengthen my core to help my back using Pilates.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I was talking to someone the other day who has his shoulder taped and said it feels like a sling

Years ago I had a shoulder injury taped and reacted to the tape. I had to remove it a few hours later because it was tearing at my skin and left a horrible red rash. I don't get taped anymore
  • emeraldeyes2020
    emeraldeyes2020 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I was talking to someone the other day who has his shoulder taped and said it feels like a sling

Years ago I had a shoulder injury taped and reacted to the tape. I had to remove it a few hours later because it was tearing at my skin and left a horrible red rash. I don't get taped anymore

Some brands do irritate or not stick at all, KT brand name is much better quality I found they also do for sensitive skin 👍
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i was doubtful. i wasn't sold on it since the science isn't really super solid about it but it has helped my peroneal tendonitis tremendously. if it works for you, try it. if it doesn't, leave it

i react to some tape, i didn't react to kt tape.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I had my foot taped for plantar fasciitis right before a 10K years ago. I became a believer after that. I'm pretty sure that stuff is made with unicorn tears. It was incredible. But I also think pf is one of the things that it's best used for.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I have used it to help support an injured shoulder (chronic bicep tendinitis-which isn’t exactly shoulder but that’s where it hurts and that’s the movement that makes it hurt). I also found it to be supportive enough that It felt a bit like a sling (in terms of support but without the inconvenience/lack of mobility).

I haven’t used it for anything else.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I had my foot taped for plantar fasciitis right before a 10K years ago. I became a believer after that. I'm pretty sure that stuff is made with unicorn tears. It was incredible. But I also think pf is one of the things that it's best used for.

It's basically a placebo according to evidence but yes there are claims for use to relief pain for PF or bone spur on the heel .

I do agree it might give some relief just how it applied for those two examples.

I'd argue that any non specific tape would probably have the same effect if applied the same, especially if the person was told of it specific use to relieve this specific pain.

Of course it wouldn't "heal" though I forget if that is in fact a claim through marketing or not such as "it promotes healing".
  • kaylas1114
    kaylas1114 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in competitive gymnastics and they use this stuff at the gym for all sorts of things. She's had it for shoulder pain that had her in tears a few times and it helped her tremendously. Sometimes they put it on for competitions just to ensure the pain doesn't come back and she can make it through the whole thing.
    She's also had it for lower back pain and on her heel for issues she's had with both. It lasts for a while too, anywhere from 5-8 days in our experience. You aren't supposed to peel it off but wait until it starts coming off on it's own before replacing it.
    I would say it's worth a try for sure. Hope it helps!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I guess it seems like it’s worth a try. I’ve tried everything else!☹️
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Won't kill ya. Like any taping, it does help to provide a bit more stability to a moving joint that may be weak. But like tape, it's a SURFACE area being supported and not deep into the joint. Just the thought of having some support though gives many confidence in not restricting movement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png