Women and weights

Options
I am new to weights I’ve always been big in cardio but I have no muscle tone so this time I am incorporating weights but....I don’t know what to do I am under 5’ tall and I’m afraid of getting any stalkier than I am - any tips? Heavy weights less reps or light weights more reps and what counts as heavy or light? When I life light it feels like I’m not doing anything...help!!!

Replies

• beatlentern
    beatlentern Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of muscle gain, you're not going to look like a tank unless you start taking steroids. I'm also on the 'pocket sized' side of life and found doing weights gave my body a lovely toned/defined look that looked a lot stronger and healthier than the formally skinny/no tone look. If you're new to weights, you need to start light and focus on correct form. Light will vary from person to person though - start with 1kg, if its too easy then try increasing to 2kg, if its still too light try 3, etc. Generally, to gain muscle mass - higher weights, less reps. To build muscle endurance - lighter weights, more reps. If you cant maintain correct the form for every single rep though then the weights are too heavy. If you're new to weights it's much safer to start with lighter weights more reps while you build technique and endurance, and then start to increase weights, drop reps. I started with something like 3x20 or 3x15 (depending on exercise) and later went to 3x8 with higher weights. Good luck.
  • hduddy5
    hduddy5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I have legs that are “sausage” shaped and I have never been able to slim them down even at my thinnest so hopefully this will help a bit!