Prevent Binges and Overeating.

Options
Hello! It appears that a lot of people are struggling with binging and overeating, myself included.

Here are my tips to prevent it:
1. Whenever you are craving unhealthy and unnecessary foods, drink water with some lemon juice, or just plain water. It will fill you up, and curb your appetite. Bring a reusable water container with you everywhere, so you won't be tempted by fattening drinks if you are on-the-go.
2. Write down everything from your last binge. Actually writing it down on paper reinforces how much you ate. Then keep this piece of paper somewhere you can easily see, like on the refrigerator. (This may be weird, but it works for me)
3. Force yourself away from the food. Read, draw, write, do your homework, study, or exercise. Physically prevent yourself gorging on the food.

Your opinions and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    THANKS!!! :D
  • Lisanita
    Options
    I do the same, I fill a glass up with ice and water and squirt a little lime juice in there and it's almost like a little 3 calorie mojito, minus the fun part. :P It always takes the edge off.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    For me whenever I see something like a smoothie, burger or any food ads & just about anything edible, I already visualizing the calorie content of those foods that suddenly I don't feel like eating it. But I confess, my food weaknesses are burritos, callos ala madrileña or sushis & I don't know what to do whenever I see those foods being served right in my face. I just can't help it not even several glasses of water will do :( Do you have any tips on that? Thanks
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Yep, I also try to reflect on the last binge session and the guilt that ensued from it that day or the next. Lots of times remembering the "unfun" parts of bingeing help me avoid the binge cravings. Its a constant battle, but all the small daily victories really do add up and the end results are/will be amazing!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    What I try to do is think back thru my day and try to figure out why I am binging because I am an emotional eater and there is always something that triggers me. The other day it was something my sister said that really pissed me off! Once I can zero in on the reason, it helps me stop or not start because then I can deal with the anger (or whatever emotion) instead of masking it with food.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Yep, I also try to reflect on the last binge session and the guilt that ensued from it that day or the next. Lots of times remembering the "unfun" parts of bingeing help me avoid the binge cravings. Its a constant battle, but all the small daily victories really do add up and the end results are/will be amazing!

YES
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    For me whenever I see something like a smoothie, burger or any food ads & just about anything edible, I already visualizing the calorie content of those foods that suddenly I don't feel like eating it. But I confess, my food weaknesses are burritos, callos ala madrileña or sushis & I don't know what to do whenever I see those foods being served right in my face. I just can't help it not even several glasses of water will do :( Do you have any tips on that? Thanks

Always be determined and motivated. If you are truly committed to your goal, nothing can get in your way, not even a burrito. And remember, don't feed yourself what will harm yourself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Are we talking binges or cravings? You can still binge and overeat "healthy" food and gain weight.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I have reached my main weight loss goal and been keeping steady. Recently, under several changes in y life, I been stress eating like crazy! I even had T.O.M twice this month! I been on MFP for a year and its been a wonderful help to my eating habits. Lately, I am worried about going backwards.

Sometimes reading MFP success stories and seeing pic result keep me motivated to not over eat.

Taking time to plan and grocery shop for healthy food and low fat snacks helps me stay on track and deters me from visiting the vendor machine at work.
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    Are we talking binges or cravings? You can still binge and overeat "healthy" food and gain weight.

I have never heard of a person who has binged on broccoli and celery. But you made a very good point about gaining weight on healthy food.
  • CindiBryce
    Options

Great suggestion, thanks.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I normally drink water, occasionally with crystal light.
    Eating big infrequent (2-3) meals at consistent times every day helps a lot with controlling appetite for anyone who wants every edge they can get.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I started trying the water thing. Before any meal, I try and drink a thing of water >_<
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    For me the key is not keeping crappy food in the house and avoid eating out except for outings w/ friends. I've had some pretty bad dinners the past few days and I'm glad I saw this topic. Although I was at or near my calorie goal it's still a slippery slope!
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    For me the key is not keeping crappy food in the house and avoid eating out except for outings w/ friends. I've had some pretty bad dinners the past few days and I'm glad I saw this topic. Although I was at or near my calorie goal it's still a slippery slope!

Good tip! It's easier to avoid the junk food at the grocery store.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    For me if I start the day with a filling and healthy breakfast, I do a lot better. If I eat a load of crap to start the day I'm a lot more likely to continue that pattern, or get hungry.

If it's too late and I want to binge, I tell myself I can have a little bit of whatever I want if I still want it in 20 minutes. Then I go for a walk or something. I usually don't want it anymore. If I do, then I have only a little bit. A couple bites of cake really is just as satisfying as a huge piece.

It doesn't always work but willpower is like a muscle- the more you work it out and practice, the stronger it gets!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    #1 way to avoid binges and overeating is to remember you have to live a LIFE not a diet. People who declare absolutes (I will never eat carbs again! I will never eat more than 1000 calories a day! I will never eat at XYZ restaurant ever again, etc.) are much more likely to give in and do exactly what they swore they wouldn't do.

Similarly, people who believe that they can "speed up their weight loss" by consuming too few calories and refusing to eat their exercise calories are setting themselves to lose what little muscle mass they have, slow down their metabolism, plateau, binge, gain, and quit.

Many such people have been on a weight roller coaster for a long long time, and repeated the process many times. Those who can't reach goal and/or maintain are failing to recognize that doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Do not set yourself up for failure by declaring absolute restrictions or starving your body of necessary fuel. It simply is not necessary, nor will it work.

That being said, when you are tempted to eat out of boredom or when you are already over on calories, BRUSH YOUR TEETH.

blessings.
  • DecemberWhisper
    Options
    Water with lemon juice in it is REALLY good for you! Not only does it give normally bland water some flavor, but it can also be used as a substitute for morning coffee! Not to mention all the benefits of that sexy lemon and water!! :)
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I try to drink lots of water anyway, but if I feel like I am REALLY tempted, I just pop a piece of gum in my mouth. It works every time!
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I often binge on healthy food, though it's usually the bad stuff. To 'compensate' when I'm in that place, I buy lots of fruit, which gives me the sugar but less guilt than packets of biscuits/cakes. I used to have my main meal at night and basically graze on fruit til bedtime (WW said it was free!) and wondered why, despite exercising hard 5 x per week and walking everywhere, I was only maintaining. There's why. So no, I certainly can't see me bingeing on broccoli, but I do still need to be careful with fruit or nuts!