Exercises you just can't do!

Options
I'm pretty heavy, so I find anything that demands I bear all my weight with my arms very difficult (I do box press ups instead of proper ones). But there are some exercises I just can't do:

-Tricep dips (using a chair)
- The Plank. I manage about 2 seconds then fall down.

I know it'll get better, but I just need to know there are other people who just skip some exercises. I always do replacement ones though! Promise!

Replies

• Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Oh, I totally fail at planks too.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    turkish getups, I'll conquer them one day
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    For now, I'm rebuilding strength in my legs; primarily in the left leg, which atrophied after breaking my kneecap. I can not do much jumping safely yet, so I substitute squats and one legged (left leg) squats for jumping exercises.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Crunches or anything that involves arching my back. I have steel rods in my spine and can NOT arch my back at all. What you see is what you get with it. I try and find other things that work my abs since I can't do any of the traditional ab workouts.
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There are tons of Yoga poses I cant come close to doing. (Lots of things I remember doing as a kid) Definately will be able to some day!
  • Whopooh
    Options
    Yoga X is my nemesis, but each week I'm able to do another move or hold a pose just a little longer. Stick in there is will come with time.
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I suck at the plank. But the more you do, the longer you go... I have been working them pretty hard for the past 2 months and I am finally feeling like I am starting to get it... I can hold for a whole 30 seconds now. :grumble:

Turkist Get-Ups are the DEVIL! :devil: Hate Them, know I do them wrong every time!
  • luckiest05
    Options
    I've only worked out for a month, and every time I try to use the elliptical, it immediately makes my legs hurts. I'll conquer that elliptical one day!
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    turkish getups, I'll conquer them one day
    Same here.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Pushups are the bane of my existance.
  • upsydaisy2011
    upsydaisy2011 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My arms are my weak point and ditto holding my body weight, find tricep dips hard too and not great at the plank but getting better now I'm doing regular classes
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    What the hell is a Turkish get up?!
  • jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    box jumps!! i am pretty fit, and am so scared to do them, and when i try... i fail =(... some exercises are not meant for everyone, but don't give up!!!!! Especially with the planks! Core strength is essential for most exercises and to prevent injuryyyy
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    box jumps!! i am pretty fit, and am so scared to do them, and when i try... i fail =(... some exercises are not meant for everyone, but don't give up!!!!! Especially with the planks! Core strength is essential for most exercises and to prevent injuryyyy

Have you tried just jumping next to the box? Have a spotter watching from the side to see how often you make it over.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty heavy, so I find anything that demands I bear all my weight with my arms very difficult (I do box press ups instead of proper ones). But there are some exercises I just can't do:

I know it'll get better, but I just need to know there are other people who just skip some exercises. I always do replacement ones though! Promise!
    Modify. On dips bring you feet in closer and use your legs to assist you. On planks, start from the knees until you can do them on your toes.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    What the hell is a Turkish get up?!

Here is the you tube version . . . my trainer had me hold a puffy/barbell over my head so I didn't have a free arm . . . I am goign to have to have a talk with her next time I see her!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78CWMoRY9Gw&feature=related
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    Start with just a step. Then add risers as you get more confidence.
  • luvgreen25
    Options
    I can't hold a plank for very long either, but when I first started, I could hold it for about 3 seconds, now I'm up to 12 seconds! :happy: Just stick with it! You'll get there.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Modify. On dips bring you feet in closer and use your legs to assist you. On planks, start from the knees until you can do them on your toes.
    Great! thanks for the tips
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Still can't to a headstand in yoga class, but I'm working on it. Just need a little more practice. :)

One thing that really helped me build up my arm strength was lowering from plank to the floor. Kind of like a reverse pushup? But with the elbows bent...into the crocodile position. Lower as slowly as you can, many many vinyasas! LOL It really makes a difference in your upper arm and shoulder strength. And eventually those planks will be a breeze ~ ~